Microcenter Build

nxcess

2[H]4U
I haven't built an AMD system since S939 so I've been out of the loop. Given that my HTPC is down and I would like to get it back up and running this weekend. MC has some deals for AMD MOBO/CPU combos, what's a good MATX combo to pick. My budget is 200. I prefer less if possible. My main requirement is right angle sata. Most likely I will start gaming on it once I retired my 5850 which probably will be soon.

So this is a gaming and HTPC build? If so, what games? How often?

Looking on my steam account, it's probably gonna be Alpha Protocol, Assassin's Creed II, Just Cause 2, The Last Remnant. Whatever can be binded to use the PS3 controller. I'm not planning to hook a keyboard and mouse to it.

Just to be clear: you actually live near a MC, correct? Which one?

Sorry today is an off day for me: What exactly did you mean by "right angle SATA"?

I'm guessing he means sata connectors that point towards the side of the board instead of straight up.

If that's the case, then unfortunately not a single mATX mobo that's part the MC deals fit that requirement.

If that's the case, then unfortunately not a single mATX mobo that's part the MC deals fit that requirement.

Actually the MSI S785GTM-E45 has sata connectors like that. I just picked one up for my HTPC but its only rocking DDR2 so might not be the best if the build is planning on going for a gaming PC in the future.

Actually the MSI S785GTM-E45 has sata connectors like that. I just picked one up for my HTPC but its only rocking DDR2 so might not be the best if the build is planning on going for a gaming PC in the future.

Yeah I wouldn't recommend that at all for any new build due to the DDR2 RAM

Yeah I wouldn't recommend that at all for any new build due to the DDR2 RAM

Would that board work with the Phenom II x4 965BE? Would the ddr2 hinder it's performance? I can reused my geiL black dragon 1066 memory instead of selling it.

Would that board work with the Phenom II x4 965BE? Would the ddr2 hinder it's performance? I can reused my geiL black dragon 1066 memory instead of selling it.

Yes. No, not really. Didn't know you had DDR2 RAM already. If you didn't have DDR2 RAM, then yeah that mobo would have been a bad buy. But since you do have it, yeah that MSI is a good choice

This board isn't half bad for a low end / budget board. Unlocked my 560BE (965BE was OOS) to 4 cores. Overclocked to 4ghz (16x250) at 1.440v, cpu-nb at 2500mhz, nb at 1.25v. That's what you call best bang for your buck. I might stick my 5850 in here to see how well it does in games.

Last edited:
Back