• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Micro ATX Quad Core Build

Syxx

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 4, 2003
Messages
244
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Lot of multitabbed web browsing, music, light photoshop, light gaming in Counterstrike, Civ 4/5, maybe some Starcraft2 or WoW in the future.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Around $500, slighty over/under is fine.

3) Where do you live?
Suburbs of Minneapolis, MN, there is a Micro Center in the area.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, Power Supply, Motherboard, CPU, CPU Cooler, RAM, Video Card

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
SATA DVD Burner and Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB SATA

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes.

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Dual 24" at 1920x1200 and would like to add a 3rd. Would like the possibility of eyefinity.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
In the next week or two.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
Nothing that I can think of.....

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows 7 64bit

What I am currently considering.....

Case: Cooler Master Elite 341 $29.99 http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0305925

CPU & Mobo: AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz and BIOSTAR A880G+ Combo $162.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.547345

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus $26.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065

Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D $44.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033&

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $74.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231277

Video: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB $159.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447

Total Price: $499.94

Let me know your suggestions for changes, cheaper prices, better performance for the money, etc.
 
I would do the Single 4gb stick if you believe that you would be adding the 2nd one any time soon, jsut so that your not having to replace everything later if you want to up it..

And as for the video card, a 5770 would choke under eyefinity with decent settings in any modern game. I would consider atleast a 6850, if not a 6870, either way though & your over budget by a fair amount.
 
I would do the Single 4gb stick if you believe that you would be adding the 2nd one any time soon, jsut so that your not having to replace everything later if you want to up it..

And as for the video card, a 5770 would choke under eyefinity with decent settings in any modern game. I would consider atleast a 6850, if not a 6870, either way though & your over budget by a fair amount.

I can bump the budget a little and move up to a 6850 for $20 more if it is going to give me much better performance for the money.

Are these decent 6850's? Is one better then the other? Reviews for both are lacking on Newegg.

PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB $179.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374

HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB $179.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161348
 
I just noticed a newegg coupon which makes either of those 6850's $169.55 shipped.
 
I can bump the budget a little and move up to a 6850 for $20 more if it is going to give me much better performance for the money.

Are these decent 6850's? Is one better then the other? Reviews for both are lacking on Newegg.

PowerColor AX6850 1GBD5-DH Radeon HD 6850 1GB $179.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131374

HIS H685F1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB $179.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161348

Neither of those brands would be my 1st pick, But hardware wise at this point they should be all reference designs other then the coolers. So either should do you just fine.

As specs & warranty's are the same If I were you I would get the power color so that it matches the motherboard... Bwahahaha Yes I just went there didn't I.. Or if you see fir the MSI 6850 for 8 bucks more including the coupon I would get over either of these based on customer support in case there is ever a problem.
 
Is there any big RAM performance difference between 2x2gb (dual channel) and 1x4gb?]

Nope.

Oh and ditch that PSU as this Antec is a much better deal:
$50 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU
 
Nope.

Oh and ditch that PSU as this Antec is a much better deal:
$50 - Antec NEO ECO 400C 400W PSU

Thanks. I will add that one to my list.

Does anyone think there is a better CPU/Mobo combo for a similar price?
 
Back
Top