• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MHz Difference

DeanEH

Weaksauce
2FA
Joined
Apr 23, 2008
Messages
112
Right now I have a E8400(3.0) not overclocked because I"m not very good at it. I have a Q9550 that I have now and am thinking about putting the Q9550(2.83) in when I install Win 7 RTM, right now I"m using Win 7 RC and really liking it. What difference would the 200 MHz make in non-overclocked performance game wise because that is what I mainly use my computer for.:D
 
Well, you do have to count Windows 7 being able to use multi-core setups better then past versions of windows...

Those extra 2 cores will be the deciding factor. (way faster, but only in the games that use it. ATi Catalyst drivers are multi-threaded, too)
 
You can end this discussion by overclocking the Q9550. 3.0GHz should be very easy to get. Do not change the vcore just bump the FSB frequency up 5 to 10 MHz and run some stability test. IntelBurnTest is pretty good for this (see the theread about cpu benchmarking). Then repeat.. Use coretemp to see the actual frequency and temp.
 
As mentioned above. Q9550 OC it just by raising the fsb check your temps and stability and be done with it.
 
Will my Thermalright Ultima 90 be enough to keep it cool if I overclock? Thanks everyone for your input.:)
 
That would be fine for a small to medium overclock meaning running your Q9550 at 3.0GHz to 3.6GHz should not be limited by heat if you keep the vcore down.
 
Last edited:
e0 q9550 + p45 mobo + decent cooling = easy 4ghz oc

I came from an e8400 @ 3.9 ghz, and the quad blows it away.
 
I assume at 4GHz you had to raise the vcore.

[EDIT]I see you are running 1.25V vcore so not much additional V [/EDIT]
 
My chip is 1.1v VID. I bumped up the NB, NB GTL, and VTT a bit as well. I can probably take it higher but don't need to.
 
Back
Top