MGS 4 Has Several 90 Minute Cutscenes

HardOCP News

[H] News
If you are planning on picking up Metal Gear Solid 4 when it comes out, Shacknews recommend you stock up on popcorn first because the game has several 90 minute cutscenes. Holy moly, ninety minutes? That’s not a cutscene, that is the length of a full scale movie.

The mag also notes that the cutscenes can indeed be skipped or paused. However, if you were hoping to digest the final act of the Solid Snake saga in its entirety, you may want to stock up on popcorn.

I watched first 20 minutes of gameplay.... ehh, lets call it 4 minutes of actual player-controlled time, and the rest are cutscenes.

Piece of shit game that is, but I'm sure its a great interactive movie.

Hopefully you can fast forward, rewind, and replay those cutscenes. It'd be a pain if you wanted to replay the last 5 minutes of a scene only to realize that you have to load a previous save game, defeat the boss, and watch the first 85 minutes over again.

So they're gonna make sure to use BluRay's selling point... wonder how much of it is filler to demonstrate the tech's abilities. Who needs that shit.

Damn so THAT'S how Kojima wants to tie up all the loose ends. I don't think the hardcore fans would be complaining about plot-holes and unfinished business :p

GF: How much longer until we can leave?
Me: Right after I save the game.
GF: How long is that?
Me: In about 90 minutes.
GF: Are you $%$%$%$ kidding me!

Hmm it's rather sad that 90 minutes is considered typical movie legth not that many years ago it used to be 120 without commercials :)

Hahaha I know I am going to be hated for saying this, but maybe this game can indeed be ported to a 360. The actual game itself can fit on a DVD just wont have these bigass cut scenes. I can see it now, "Please insert the disk labeled Cutscene 1 in the DVD drive" :D

Joking aside, makes you wonder what the size of these cutscenes are though.

Hmm it's rather sad that 90 minutes is considered typical movie legth not that many years ago it used to be 120 without commercials :)

I haven't seen a movie that was 90 minutes long or under in a loooooong time now. It has to be a really shitty comedy to do that....?

Well I guess that means we won't be beating this one in less than 8 hours.........................

.........................................how about filling it with gameplay instead though? It is a game after all....right?

Well I guess that means we won't be beating this one in less than 8 hours.........................

.........................................how about filling it with gameplay instead though? It is a game after all....right?

We'll if you skip the cutscenes you can probably do a speed run through the game in 30m minutes. j/k I'm really looking forward to this one.:)

I watched first 20 minutes of gameplay.... ehh, lets call it 4 minutes of actual player-controlled time, and the rest are cutscenes.

Piece of shit game that is, but I'm sure its a great interactive movie.
That's my problem with these games too.

Yes, MG always had stories...yes, I like movies and yes, I like games.

BUT...I do not like to watch 30 minutes cinematics where my character pulls off amazing moves and then once I control him all I can do is the same punch/shoot attacks over and over. That just sucks. I want to be able to DO the cool things, not just watch my character do them by himself.

The last Metal Gear game would literally have one 5 minute cinematic when you got out a door and saw a bridge...and then another one once you crossed that bridge in 5 seconds. What the hell is that? Give me gameplay, not movies.

let's take a 90 minute break in the middle of the game. lame...no thanks.

Cool, interactive movies. Haven't seen that since Sega CD with their epic games such as Dragon's Lair and Night Trap. And those were both excellent games!

:rolleyes:

I like cutscenes...but 90 minutes straight? And multiple times? No thanks.

IMO, this is a really bad idea. If I want to watch a movie, I will buy/rent a movie. If I want to play a video game, I want to be able to spend the time playing the game. If I have an hour and a half to play a game, I don't want to sit down, play for 10 minutes and then have to spend the next 80 minutes watching a cut scene. Ad to the fact that with a video game, you just don't know when you will hit the cut scene, it is hard to allocate time to play. I sure hope the cut scenes at least tell you how long they will last and be able to seek through them and save during the cut scene.

Well from what I've heard the cutscenes also provide the user with interaction. Now I don't know if that is just changing the camera angles but hopefully I'll be able to do something during them.

Dev to tester - Have you been able to reproduce that bug where the game freezes after the (insert # here) cutscene has played all the way through?

Tester to Dev - Well, since it supposedly only happens once every 10-20 times, I haven't had the 900-1800 minutes (15-30 hours) straight to see it happen yet.

Well from what I've heard the cutscenes also provide the user with interaction. Now I don't know if that is just changing the camera angles but hopefully I'll be able to do something during them.
I've heard that 27 minutes, 13 seconds and 18 frames into the first cutscene, you're given 3/4th of a second to press X and O simultaneously. Failing to do so results in a game over cinematic.

I'm kidding, of course, but would anyone actually be shocked if this were the case?

so THIS is why they needed blu ray? I don't mind a few cutscenes here and there...This is too much. If they wanted to do that why not just make a cgi animation series to end the storyline. If it's anything like previous metal gear games you will have like 10 minutes of game play followed by a cutscene. I mean if we pulled the cutscenes or of mgs 3 i would have beaten it in like...what 4 hours? This is the same thing that made me drift away from xenosaga as well.

I want to play my games and have them enhanced by a few cutscenes (if necessary to reinforce a plot point). Not have a movie that breaks for a minigame.

I haven't seen a movie that was 90 minutes long or under in a loooooong time now. It has to be a really shitty comedy to do that....?
Actually you seem to have confused quantity with quality. Most two hour plus films these days barely have 90 minutes of actual story. Its always better to cut the fat then to server up a plate of meat and gristle.

Which is what a 90 minute cut scene is in a game. But in this case it is long winded devs that think their ideas prophesy. It also shows a lack of good game design. You should be able to introduce these story bits in ways that don't necessarily involve a monologue. Something sadly, the MSG story folks don't get hence the reason why these games have long since start to SUCK.:D

I want to play my games and have them enhanced by a few cutscenes (if necessary to reinforce a plot point). Not have a movie that breaks for a minigame.

qft. I may be getting oldschool here, but I think Square did a great job at handling cutscenes in FFVII back when it was "the new thing." There were a few cutscenes that were unnecessary, but most of them were quite strong and memorable (such as Sephiroth walking through the flames, the death of an important character, Weapons attacking, etc.). Overkill would be an understatement for what MGS4 is gonna bring, IMO.

im not sure why anyones surprised by this. MGS2 had a two hour movie with a brief boss fight in the middle of the movie for its ending. with this supposedly being the end of the MGS series and kojima going all out on it, this doesnt seem out of line at all.

Can't exactly say the industry is bustling with innovation at the moment. A movie/game hybrid is a welcome experiment. I'd try it if I had a PS3.

A hybrid movie/game has already been done years ago: it was called Dragon Lair and it was freaking awesome. The small allotment of tokens my parents gave my at Chuck-e-Cheese would all be depleted in about 15-minutes on this. It blows my mind just thinking about this game :p

Unfortunately, I have a feeling they're going for something different with MGS...

Dang I have to agree with those that think this is too much for a game. It's an interesting design concept but it will need to be easy to stop, power down and resume nearly seamlessly for this to have any chance at working well IMO.

90 minute cut scenes sound terrible to me. In a movie you know you will be sitting there for X amount of time but if these just come up like normal cut scenes you could be holding your controller on the edge of your seat for 5 minutes, not to mention what if something comes up? I like games where I can save my progress and be on my way. I wouldn't want to have to block off hours as a just incase I get in the middle of one of these things have to go do something only to come back and be forced to watch 40 minutes of crap again.

Konami is a very arrogant company, my favorite MSG was the first and I don't see that changing with this installment.

At least they can be paused and skipped, but why in the world does anyone believe this is good news? I admit it is a cool idea to mix and match mediums to work on the strengths of both; but I can't honestly see how these feature length films are necessary. Again, experiments are OK, but if we assume there are some 5 hours of cut-scenes in total we know for a fact they will not be up to the quality of a short miniseries. There is game being developed along side it. Some of the content will bleed into one or the other, but at some point you just have to divide your time between directing the gameplay and directing the cinematics.

I am sure the game and cinematics will be solid, but great? I personally do not feel, given history, the cinematics will be of exceptional quality. Chances are they will only drag on even longer than cut-scenes used to in MGS.

Well, that's a relief.

Maybe the OP meant 90 minutes total of cutscenes? Or is that not enough for a MGS game? :D

Yeah 90 minutes total is a bit too short for an MGS game, but this reeked of BS from the start to be honest. Thanks for posting real sources Q-BZ.

Back