Armenius

Extremely [H]
Surprised to not see this one posted, yet. Officially the sequel to Metroid Fusion and dubbed Metroid 5 in the trailer, Metroid Dread follows Samus as she responds to yet another Galactic Federation distress call from a planet overrun by vicious aliens autonomous DNA extractor robots known as E.M.M.I. The game uses the 2.5D style of the recent remake of Metroid II that came out for the 3DS and is also made by the same developer, MercurySteam, in cooperation with Nintendo EPD. The game is coming for the Switch on October 8. No updates on the game being made by Retro as of yet.

https://metroid.nintendo.com/
https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/metroid-dread-switch/

Looks way too smooth the OG metroid had weight to it. I played of sequels only Super Metroid and Metroid Prime do justice to the series. I have the Nin Wii version but didn't play it much.

Looks way too smooth the OG metroid had weight to it. I played of sequels only Super Metroid and Metroid Prime do justice to the series. I have the Nin Wii version but didn't play it much.

This is from the same studio that did the rather excellent Samus Returns remake for the 3DS, so I have faith it will be pretty good.

This is from the same studio that did the rather excellent Samus Returns remake for the 3DS, so I have faith it will be pretty good.
Comix just types random things into his keyboard. Everything in Samus Returns felt fantastic. They really nailed all the movement and combat mechanics in that one, so there is no reason for them to regress at all.

Feeling hyped for this title, 2D Metroid titles were some of my favourite platformers. I didn't play the Return of Samus remake, so might dust off my 3DS to give that a playthrough (and practice that 'counter' maneuver Samus uses now).

Feeling hyped for this title, 2D Metroid titles were some of my favourite platformers. I didn't play the Return of Samus remake, so might dust off my 3DS to give that a playthrough (and practice that 'counter' maneuver Samus uses now).
It's easy to do, it just took me a bit to remember the mechanic and use it at first (commit to muscle memory). The counter becomes necessary during some encounters the further you get into the game.

Anyone else remember Shadow Complex? That's what it reminds me of.

I'm definitely going to be getting this, but I really really wish there was a way to play the Metroid series in one place. A Virtual Console on the Switch would be so awesome.

I'm definitely going to be getting this, but I really really wish there was a way to play the Metroid series in one place. A Virtual Console on the Switch would be so awesome.
Only issue is that you know they'll be charging you yet again for games you bought for Virtual Console on previous consoles. If you have an original Switch you can put an emulator on it yourself.

Only issue is that you know they'll be charging you yet again for games you bought for Virtual Console on previous consoles. If you have an original Switch you can put an emulator on it yourself.
This. Just emulate it on the switch or all the other emulator systems out there. Screw Nintendo being greedy with how they handle the Virtual Console. It is ridiculous they want you to rebuy everything.

You can play Metroid 1 and 3 on Switch already, i'm still hoping for a way to play Zero Mission and Fusion on Switch, but who knows if that'll eer happen.

Anyway, Metroid is my favorite game series and I'm absolutely fucking hyped for this.

You can play Metroid 1 and 3 on Switch already, i'm still hoping for a way to play Zero Mission and Fusion on Switch, but who knows if that'll eer happen.

Anyway, Metroid is my favorite game series and I'm absolutely fucking hyped for this.
I'm sure there are purists who would flay me for saying this but the original hasn't aged well in the slightest so you really want to play Zero Mission to start the series, but you can only do that with a GBA or Wii U (aside from emulators obviously.) Basically to play the series legit you need a Wii U and a 3DS (for Samus Returns.) And Wii U wasn't exactly a hot seller so...

I'm sure there are purists who would flay me for saying this but the original hasn't aged well in the slightest so you really want to play Zero Mission to start the series, but you can only do that with a GBA or Wii U (aside from emulators obviously.) Basically to play the series legit you need a Wii U and a 3DS (for Samus Returns.) And Wii U wasn't exactly a hot seller so...
I agree that Metroid 1 (and 2, even) have not aged well at all. The remakes are definitely superior versions of the games.
I have a Wii U, but my last time going through the prime trilogy was actually playing on dolphin using a 3rd party IR sensor bar that allowed easy connection to wiimotes. I think I was still on my GTX 1070 back then, but things were running great at 4k60 and the series art looks amazing with just a resolution bump.

I'm a pretty huge nintendo fan, if that isn't obvious, so in my household we also have 4 GBAs and probably 3 or 4 3DS variants. (...as well as a SNES classic, hacked of course.... also an old school Super NES still hooked up, as well is my gamecube...)

I agree that Metroid 1 (and 2, even) have not aged well at all. The remakes are definitely superior versions of the games.
I have a Wii U, but my last time going through the prime trilogy was actually playing on dolphin using a 3rd party IR sensor bar that allowed easy connection to wiimotes. I think I was still on my GTX 1070 back then, but things were running great at 4k60 and the series art looks amazing with just a resolution bump.

I'm a pretty huge nintendo fan, if that isn't obvious, so in my household we also have 4 GBAs and probably 3 or 4 3DS variants. (...as well as a SNES classic, hacked of course.... also an old school Super NES still hooked up, as well is my gamecube...)
I think the original Metroid II has actually aged a lot better than the first Metroid. The movement in the first game is just not good, plus it suffers from framerate issues. Metroid II doesn't have any of those problems.

I absolutely can’t wait for this game. At first I was worried it would be like the 3DS one. That one isn’t bad, but it’s not great. This one looks like a proper 2D (2.5D) Metroid game. This one will be good. I have a pretty good feeling about it.

I like Metroid, but Nintendo's prices on these games has been pissing me off. I am not paying $60 for what is essentially a 3DS game, not to mention literal Gameboy remasters.

There's nothing wrong with Game boy games.

Never said there was. They aren't worth $60 to me, though.

I'm not sure how you assume that this is "essentially a 3DS game". Are you judging it just because it's a 2.5D game?

Yeah, I mean other than the Prime series it's essentially been 2.5D games on mobile platforms. It fits fine with the Switch given that it is also mobile, but I'm wondering how much more value there is over the $40 3DS titles. I guess we'll see, but this isn't the only example of Nintendo's brazen pricing with Switch titles lately.

Never said there was. They aren't worth $60 to me, though.

Yeah, I mean other than the Prime series it's essentially been 2.5D games on mobile platforms. It fits fine with the Switch given that it is also mobile, but I'm wondering how much more value there is over the $40 3DS titles. I guess we'll see, but this isn't the only example of Nintendo's brazen pricing with Switch titles lately.

Metroid Prime Hunters and Metroid Federation Force weren't 2.5D. The older handheld titles pretty much had to be 2D because of the limitations of the Gameboy and GB Advance hardware.

I actually agree that the 3DS Metroid didn't look all that great, and also didn't seem to fully implement the complete Metroid game style. It was 2.5D, and made (if I remember correctly,) by the studio that made the 2.5D Castlevania game on the 3DS, which was also mediocre.

That said, even though Metroid Dread shares the 2.5D aspect, it does NOT resemble the 3DS game IMO. It looks like a fully fleshed out Metroid game, and 2ish D is the only way I want to play this sort of game. It looks good to me from the little I've seen. I actually don't think they'd mess this one up. We shall see.

If done right, it's totally worth $60.

Honestly, at this point, its been so long since Nintendo has made ANY metroid games, i'd buy the game for $100
Which I kind of am, considering i'm buying the special edition of the game, and the amiibo 2 pack, and if they're making a Metroid Switch edition or pro controller i'll probably buy that too.

Before you counter with "that's too much money to spend on a videogame! You're just enabling them!" I'm gonna show off this:

PXL_20210628_191251345.MP-01.jpeg

And mention that I'm seriously considering buying this:
https://www.first4figures.com/meta-ridley-exclusive-edition.html

According to our spreadsheet we own roughly 75% of every amiibo figure ever released, and I haven't resorted to scalpers once.

Their track record of releasing good games?

Exactly! I haven’t been disappointed with any first party games yet. The Switches in my house get more play than all the other consoles and PCs combined.

(well maybe with the exception of me being glued to my MiSTer FPGA playing old games :D )

I really need to replay Fusion one of these days.

It's a pretty decent game. I have one or two small complaints, but it generally feels like Super Metroid. I'm playing it on a monitor with a good LCD filter/scaler, and it looks pretty decent still too. I don't typically use filters unless scanlines look better for a particular system. The LCD effect is pretty cool for GBA games though.

It's a pretty decent game. I have one or two small complaints, but it generally feels like Super Metroid. I'm playing it on a monitor with a good LCD filter/scaler, and it looks pretty decent still too. I don't typically use filters unless scanlines look better for a particular system. The LCD effect is pretty cool for GBA games though.
In my opinion the movement isn't as fluid. Some things like infinite bomb jumping and wall jumping are impossible in Fusion, and you don't carry momentum through when you jump while running unless your speed booster is active. The map structure also falls flat. I don't necessarily have an issue with the more linear story, but if you want to get 100% items you have to wait until the very end of the game to get 60% of them, making the end game backtracking the worst in the series and not being able to feel somewhat powerful through most of the game. I guess it goes to the story about being tied to a CO who is controlled by an evil organization, but in the end some of the fun that could be had is sucked out by this approach. To be fair, Zero Mission has this issue as well due to the addition of the upgraded suit at the end of the game needed to unlock a lot of necessary abilities, but it's not nearly as bad. Fusion overall isn't a bad game, but I do find myself playing it less than the other entries in the series.

In my opinion the movement isn't as fluid. Some things like infinite bomb jumping and wall jumping are impossible in Fusion, and you don't carry momentum through when you jump while running unless your speed booster is active. The map structure also falls flat. I don't necessarily have an issue with the more linear story, but if you want to get 100% items you have to wait until the very end of the game to get 60% of them, making the end game backtracking the worst in the series and not being able to feel somewhat powerful through most of the game. I guess it goes to the story about being tied to a CO who is controlled by an evil organization, but in the end some of the fun that could be had is sucked out by this approach. To be fair, Zero Mission has this issue as well due to the addition of the upgraded suit at the end of the game needed to unlock a lot of necessary abilities, but it's not nearly as bad. Fusion overall isn't a bad game, but I do find myself playing it less than the other entries in the series.

This is my first time seriously playing it through. I played it a bit on my actual GBA way back, but preferred the CVanias to Metroids back then. (Now I love them all.)

So far I agree with your assessments. I also dislike some UI things like having to confirm every mission directive, etc. Little annoying things. The jump momentum though is fairly annoying for sure.

The ledge grab mitigates it, but I’d prefer it carried.

Otherwise it’s pretty decent, and fun in general.

Once I'm done with MH Stories 2 I'm gonna start my "every 2d Metroid" run. Still haven't figured out a way to stream Samus Returns, but no matter, still gonna play it.
Everything else I can stream pretty easily.

Once I'm done with MH Stories 2 I'm gonna start my "every 2d Metroid" run. Still haven't figured out a way to stream Samus Returns, but no matter, still gonna play it.
You can stream a 3ds no problem! Just buy a $2000 Katsukity capture card from Ebay. :ROFLMAO:

HzMod or NTR CFW for the New 3DS will allow you to stream wirelessly to your PC, where you can then capture the stream if you want. Snickerstream is a unified tool for capturing 3DS streams using either hack.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/hzmod-old3ds-screen-streaming.469817/
https://github.com/44670/BootNTR
https://github.com/RattletraPM/Snickerstream

Makes me wish I picked up a new 2ds xl at some point.
Might need new hardware no matter what though...

Back