• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Metro 2033 Crossfire Performance

Rizen

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 16, 2000
Messages
9,509
Hello,

Those of you who have 5970s or Crossfire 5870s, what settings are you running in Metro 2033, and how "playable" is your game?

I've found that 1920x1200, 4x MSAA / 16x AF at Very High settings is too choppy for me personally. Most settings are fine but in areas with very heavy shader use, fog, etc the game will hit the low 20s / high teens. DOF is turned off.

Is this normal? I would have expected a bit better performance with my overclocked 5870s in Crossfire, but I know this is a beast of a game. Running AAA is a marked improvement.
 
That's my experience running the game on overclocked 5850 CF @ 2560x1600. I ran out of VRAM to do 4xMSAA fluidly at 2560x1600, but AAA played fine (typically 45-70FPS). However, there were certain portions of the game (about 5-8) where there were some heavy slowdowns (~20FPS), and it seemed to occur in areas with heavy volumetric lighting (that light in the "Chase" level, looking straight up at that big fan in the "Child" level, the topside subway station at the start of "Dead City 1," etc.). No idea what it is - driver bug, the card simply not being able to handle the rendering, an unoptimized portion of the game, or a combination of the above.
 
That's my experience running the game on overclocked 5850 CF @ 2560x1600. I ran out of VRAM to do 4xMSAA fluidly at 2560x1600, but AAA played fine (typically 45-70FPS). However, there were certain portions of the game (about 5-8) where there were some heavy slowdowns (~20FPS), and it seemed to occur in areas with heavy volumetric lighting (that light in the "Chase" level, looking straight up at that big fan in the "Child" level, the topside subway station at the start of "Dead City 1," etc.). No idea what it is - driver bug, the card simply not being able to handle the rendering, an unoptimized portion of the game, or a combination of the above.
Okay. I would think that a pair of 5870s would perform better than a pair of 5850s but I know the gap is pretty close - especially if the limitation is frame buffer. But should I really be hitting the frame buffer cap at 1920x1200 at 4x MSAA?

I really hope the next driver set from ATI optimizes for this game some. I know its a TWIMTBP title so I expect the Fermi cards to be ahead, but right now the difference is quite substantial.
 
Metro 2033
DX11
Very high
AAA
Tessellation on
DOF off

use Asus 5870 E6 in Crossfire, running at stock on 1920x 1200.

I CAN run the game in Eyefinity DX10 very high, but there are places where the choppiness makes the game sorrowful.
I like the DX11 effects, so I'm willing to sacrifice the EF.

I did play the game completely through in EF before the E6 model came out, with two 5870 reference models.
 
Sounds like my performance is about the norm. 4x MSAA really kills performance in this game then?
 
This is a great game but its NO DOUBT built for the Fermi GTX 480's. It's sad that companies are doing this now-a-days. Pisses me off.
 
Back
Top