Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Remake

^ That's crazy. I recently tried playing Max Payne 3 again after refusing to play it for years. I modded the shit out of it, "played" it for about 20 minutes and deleted it again. Literally 5 seconds of gameplay followed by 5 minutes of cutscenes, over and over and over again. blargh!
 
Yeah, I watched Mack's review earlier and he was complaining about the controls/equip menus also. I never played the original. Is that something new to this remake, or a carryover from the PS2 game? I can see how it would have been more acceptable back in the day on a controller with far fewer buttons, but seems like that's something that could have been streamlined for a modern remake. Or if they insisted on bringing it over from the original version for true-ness/nostalgia's sake, then at least have options for modern & classic menus and controls or something.

The consensus seems to be that it's still a very good game at its core, but the price is just too high considering the game's relatively short length and the current issues it has. I've seen a lot of folks balking at these $70 and $80 prices, so hopefully we see somewhat of a pullback there and not just the axing of any project that's not a flagship or "safe" IP.
Snake Eater was a GameCube game originally, but all the early entries controlled like this, as far as I know. I recall playing MGS2 on a demo disc and hating the controls, so much so that I never played a full MGS game because of it.
 
People still play Operation Raccoon City.

Not really a title I'd want to bring anyone's attention to or use as an example for anything, but OK I'll just separate it from the pile of RE:Verse RE:Sistance, Seige, Umbrella Corps.......... 😛

Metal Gear 5 had FOB mode which kinda counts and people actually played, admittedly
 
People still play Operation Raccoon City.
Yeah my son does, but it was delisted from Steam and the 360 due to the GFWL bullshit awhile ago. You can still play it, but you have to jump through all kinds of hoops.
 
Resident Evil has a better track record (because more attempts) with it than Metal Gear - RAID and Mercs modes are the successful ones (and if we're talking full games not modes too they had the Outbreak series)

Metal Gear has (besides mentioned 'successful' FOB mode) Metal Gear Online (both 3 and Portable Ops versions), Metal Gear Online 2, Metal Gear Online 3 and...... Metal Gear Survive 😬
 
Yeah my son does, but it was delisted from Steam and the 360 due to the GFWL bullshit awhile ago. You can still play it, but you have to jump through all kinds of hoops.
It's playable on Series X|S without issue, and you can still buy it there.
 
Picked this up on sale on Steam. The game is absolutely hilarious. It feels dated to a fault yet the whole cutscenes are really funny. I can't stop but chuckle as to what used to be amazing in the past. I know I loved MGS 1 and 2. Never played 3. I think on 4 I got bored and 5 also doing the same missions again and again in the open world got old fast. Then, there was Revengeance in which I got stuck on a boss fight midway through the game. So after a very long time I feel committed to finishing this one.

Some of the jokes are also hilarious (like the whole James Bond thing after a save). Also seems like everyone wants to grope women tits. Just downright hilarious. I suggest playing it if you are an adult from my times. It's a bit like watching a bond movie today - you are surprised on what went on as normal back then.
 
The codex call in 3 where Snake basically describes being in a box as a religious experience is burned into my brain

MGS in general had a pretty unique balance to their scripts with funny shit and completely goofy shit that actually kind of makes sense when you think about it.

Like the way it's presented is bonkers in true MGS fashion, but MGS 2 gets into this whole post truth Internet information control and surveillance thing that amusingly aged ridiculously well given where we're currently going with AI.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nobu
like this
Btw the ducks and frogs that make noise. Are they supposed to be there? I just find it hilarious that in a jungle there are rubber ducks and frogs you can shoot to make noise. Mostly I am just shooting fools in the head though and not doing much sneaking.
 
Back
Top