• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

MEMTEST*? and core i7

jmorel33

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 26, 2009
Messages
99
I tried 2 versions of MEMTEST86 on my new core i7 rig, both of them lock on the first test at 7% for some reason. Anyone has the same problem ? Which other memory testing tool should I consider for the core i7 ?
 
Last edited:
I think memtest86 you need a slightly older version. I think I ended up with memtest86+ but im not exactly sure.
 
I used the latest version of memtest86+ when I built 2 months ago. BTW, you need a tester that runs on all 8 threads... just relaying my experience. prime95 and linpack are your friends for memory testing the timings (but they don't verify all the ram -- that's where memtest86+ comes in).
 
I have some toruble with this myself. I have G.skill 1333 9-9-9-24 Rated RAM, now I am running it at 1640+Mhz at 9-9-9-24 at 1.64V I can pass up to 3 tests of Memtets +86 2.11 and have no problem at all. But then when I boot into windows and Run Linx or Super Pi, Linx will stop and say it had an error within 10 minutes, and then SuperPi will freeze within the 1st half of a 32M chain, any suggestions. Is it the RAM or something else with my overclock?
 
@ jakethesnake - try 11-11-11-30 for 1640 MHz and set it to 1.66v

my 1600MHz ram doesn't go too far beyond that, your 1333 may never run stable under load at 1640 buy faster memory
 
yes I plan on upgrading to some higher clocked RAM but I need to sell my old RAM 1sr beforee i go and buy 1600 MHz or 2000 MHz, still dont know yet
 
Memtest86+ ver 1.7 also worked great for me and didn't find a single error with my defective OCZ DDR2 memory. Either that, or both MemTest86 ver. 3.3 and Gold Memory ver. 5.07 falsely reported errors.

What happens when you run MemTest86 with quality memory instead of with G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, Patriot, or OCZ?
 
Memtest86+ ver 1.7 also worked great for me and didn't find a single error with my defective OCZ DDR2 memory. Either that, or both MemTest86 ver. 3.3 and Gold Memory ver. 5.07 falsely reported errors.

What happens when you run MemTest86 with quality memory instead of with G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, Patriot, or OCZ?

:confused:
 
Memtest86+ ver 1.7 also worked great for me and didn't find a single error with my defective OCZ DDR2 memory. Either that, or both MemTest86 ver. 3.3 and Gold Memory ver. 5.07 falsely reported errors.

What happens when you run MemTest86 with quality memory instead of with G.Skill, Corsair, Mushkin, Patriot, or OCZ?


The above aren't quality memory??
 
um I would be a little concerned if 2 of 3 memory testers failed!!
 
um I would be a little concerned if 2 of 3 memory testers failed!!

:confused:

That's because they are not compatible with the Core i7 CPU/IMC. Memtest 2.10 and 2.11 are the only versions officially updated for Core i7. And, 2.11 has Core i7 bug fixes found in 2.10 which is why I linked it.

Software issues are not indicators of the quality of the memory.
 
I'll second with memtest86 not working with i7. I tried it on my 920, I have 6GB of OCZ Plat. (1600MHz) and it froze once at 7% and the second time it wouldn't start. I ran memtest86+ v2.11 and it ran like a charm.
 
Memtest 86+ and 3.8 are useless anyways. Just use Prime Large FFTs and set custom and use all of your ram, Linpack also works pretty well.
 
Memtest 86+ and 3.8 are useless anyways. Just use Prime Large FFTs and set custom and use all of your ram, Linpack also works pretty well.

Almost but not quite -- you still need memtest86+ to test every single byte with patterns. Prime95 although awesome will only hit 90% (or whatever) of your ram. You need both...
 
Same, i7 here with Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600.

v2.11 gave me that freezing at 7% error. Tested each RAM stick individually fine, and tested each RAM slot individually and those were fine. Only when I tried all 3 sticks at once would I have trouble.

v2.10 worked fine for me though.
 
That's really weird because the CD that I made and used was MemTest86+ v2.11 with 3 sticks of ram... OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600
 
Back
Top