Memory Upgrade Causes PC/CPU Slowdown/Higher Usage

GreatestOne

Limp Gawd

Not going to details but I finally upgraded my

DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 4X4GB (A-Tech , had great ratings)
to
DDR3L-1600 PC3-12800 4X8GB (G-Skill Sniper)

I have Windows 7 (64bit) with i5-2500K, 1TB SSD on GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155

It was great my mobo accepted it bec it did not accept many others before, but now my PC is def slower....

First CPU was at 100% consistently and I could not get new results for Windows Experience because of this error:

.... Unable to start the kernel logger. The logger is in use by another application..... etc

So I disables all but the MS processes in msconfig and rebooted... now my CPU is not always at 100% but the PC is still obviously SLOWER than before.

CPU processes are "normal".. all apps that are open, nothing unusual there.
My current stats are:

CPU: 7.5
RAM: 7.6
GPU: 7.9
Gaming GPU: 7.9
Primary HD: 5.9 (this low for a Samsung SSD?)

And currently my CPU usage fluctuates from 25% to about 50% with just Thunderbird and Firefox (about 35 tabs) open.

Then later it went up to CPU 100% again with Firefox taking up up to 21 on the CPU scale in “Processes”… wth?

FYI with the previous RAM, my PC still worked VERY well after a reboot and open were Thunderbird and Chrome (150+ tabs open). Its when I started to open more browsers and Photoshop etc, then it started to suffer.

Could it be bad memory?
Just ran a spyware scan a few days ago but... ?
Something not showing up in the processes?
I have everything in boot startup disabled besides Avast, Acronis, Realtek Audio, and Intel CUIx3.

I have also rebooted my PC a few times already.

(I want to upgrade to Win 10 now, but I dont want to pile crap on top of crap if there is some issue with my CPU or HD etc., need to solve this before taking the next step...)

Thanks!

Not going to details but I finally upgraded my

DDR3-1333 PC3-10666 4X4GB (A-Tech , had great ratings)
to

I have Windows 7 (64bit) with i5-2500K, 1TB SSD on GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155

It was great my mobo accepted it bec it did not accept many others before, but now my PC is def slower....

First CPU was at 100% consistently and I could not get new results for Windows Experience because of this error:

.... Unable to start the kernel logger. The logger is in use by another application..... etc

So I disables all but the MS processes in msconfig and rebooted... now my CPU is not always at 100% but the PC is still obviously SLOWER than before.

CPU processes are "normal".. all apps that are open, nothing unusual there.
My current stats are:

CPU: 7.5
RAM: 7.6
GPU: 7.9
Gaming GPU: 7.9
Primary HD: 5.9 (this low for a Samsung SSD?)

And currently my CPU usage fluctuates from 25% to about 50% with just Thunderbird and Firefox (about 35 tabs) open.

Then later it went up to CPU 100% again with Firefox taking up up to 21 on the CPU scale in “Processes”… wth?

FYI with the previous RAM, my PC still worked VERY well after a reboot and open were Thunderbird and Chrome (150+ tabs open). Its when I started to open more browsers and Photoshop etc, then it started to suffer.

Could it be bad memory?
Just ran a spyware scan a few days ago but... ?
Something not showing up in the processes?
I have everything in boot startup disabled besides Avast, Acronis, Realtek Audio, and Intel CUIx3.

I have also rebooted my PC a few times already.

(I want to upgrade to Win 10 now, but I dont want to pile crap on top of crap if there is some issue with my CPU or HD etc., need to solve this before taking the next step...)

Thanks!
If you haven't already----I would update the bios for the motherboard. Bios updates often improve compatibility for RAM.

If you haven't already----I would update the bios for the motherboard. Bios updates often improve compatibility for RAM.
Thats the only thing I can try?
I rather not mess with that unless necessary and the last BIOS update was only a year after the mobo release back in like 2013 so.... not sure if thats worth the risk... I know they blow the "danger" of updating BIOS a bit much but still... I cant afford to have bigger downtime on my PC right now, to much to do if u know what I mean and I cant work on a laptop.
What about looking for a 2x16GB? Seems like they are all for servers only but maybe the dual channel only might work better with my setup, is there any validity to that, if I can find any for a desktop model.
Or will replacing the CPU (wanted to get an i7 anyways) help the package deal?

I know, if I do that almost might as well get a new mobo as well but financially its becoming more and more difficult so....

Try it with 2 sticks of the G.Skill Ram and see if the PC is faster. It could be that 4 sticks of that RAM is too much for the memory controller.

You could also try slightly raising the voltage of the memory controller.

And DDR3L supports two voltages. 1.35 and 1.5. Try both. maybe your CPU doesn't like the low voltage for the RAM.

Slow computer responsiveness I notice can be brought about by some form of memory incompatibility.

Try upping the voltage as mentioned or manually setting the timings. If XMP is on, try turning it off.

Could also be that the platform does not like 32GB RAM.

Try it with 2 sticks of the G.Skill Ram and see if the PC is faster. It could be that 4 sticks of that RAM is too much for the memory controller.

You could also try slightly raising the voltage of the memory controller.

And DDR3L supports two voltages. 1.35 and 1.5. Try both. maybe your CPU doesn't like the low voltage for the RAM.

DRAM voltage was at 1.5....i assume trying 1.35 is useless?

Trying just 2 sticks in a bit

How much is the CPU a limiting factor?

Slow computer responsiveness I notice can be brought about by some form of memory incompatibility.

Try upping the voltage as mentioned or manually setting the timings. If XMP is on, try turning it off.

Could also be that the platform does not like 32GB RAM.

Do not see any setting for XMP in this BIOS....

How high can i go with the voltage?

And its been so long, how do i find the custom timings to use for this one?

Last edited:
Give this benchmark a run and give us a link to the web page with the results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/
It will show the performance for individual components which will help us troubleshoot more accurately for you as at the moment people are kinda taking a stab in the dark.

I am guessing this is your RAM? since G.SKill has no 8GB sticks of DDR3L Sniper listed on there web site that I can see.
https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/182/1532505135/F3-1600C9Q-32GSR-Specification

Do not see any setting for XMP in this BIOS....
Shows it here in the manual.
https://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-Z68XP-UD3/Manual/210496?page=41

Last edited:
Give this benchmark a run and give us a link to the web page with the results.
https://www.userbenchmark.com/
It will show the performance for individual components which will help us troubleshoot more accurately for you as at the moment people are kinda taking a stab in the dark.

I am guessing this is your RAM? since G.SKill has no 8GB sticks of DDR3L Sniper listed on there web site that I can see.
https://www.gskill.com/specification/165/182/1532505135/F3-1600C9Q-32GSR-Specification

Shows it here in the manual.
https://www.manualowl.com/m/Gigabyte/GA-Z68XP-UD3/Manual/210496?page=41

Is this what you needed?
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/53597331

Sniper is my old RAM, new I got A-tech.

Should I try 2x16GB instead?

And in case u wondering, ima get Win 10 after I decide what I am doing with the hardware...

Is this what you needed?
Yes and it shows that your CPU\RAM is performing as it should but your SSD is not.
Try replace the cable if you have a spare and make sure it is plugged into SATA port 0 or 1 (The white SATA ports)
Grab CrystalDiskInfo and check the drives smart data.

Edit: Although that is with your old RAM yes?
How does it compare with the new? try with two sticks and four.

Should I try 2x16GB instead?
No 16GB sticks are even less likely to work on a old DDR3 MB.

Is the MB BIOS up to date? as they often improve compatibility with RAM. Just make sure it is for the correct revision of your MB.

Last edited:
Yes and it shows that your CPU\RAM is performing as it should but your SSD is not.
Try replace the cable if you have a spare and make sure it is plugged into SATA port 0 or 1 (The white SATA ports)
Grab CrystalDiskInfo and check the drives smart data.

Edit: Although that is with your old RAM yes?
How does it compare with the new? try with two sticks and four.

No 16GB sticks are even less likely to work on a old DDR3 MB.

Is the MB BIOS up to date? as they often improve compatibility with RAM. Just make sure it is for the correct revision of your MB.

I didnt update BIOS yet, was only gonna do that if necessary to avoid any u know....

Also the hd, been waiting in upping at as well and still dont hd's suffer when it is near full? Right now only have about 5gb free, so.....

Yes SSD really need at least 10% free space left or performance and reliability suffer and perform best when only 50% full.
HDD are ok to be full if they are just for storage not programs.

So make sure you clean up some space on the SSD (Mushkin Reactor 1TB System drive)
Running windows disk cleanup and also cleaning system files can help a fair bit if it is a old windows install.

Yes SSD really need at least 10% free space left or performance and reliability suffer and perform best when only 50% full.
HDD are ok to be full if they are just for storage not programs.

So make sure you clean up some space on the SSD (Mushkin Reactor 1TB System drive)
Running windows disk cleanup and also cleaning system files can help a fair bit if it is a old windows install.

I been trying to clear some space, I might have to try harder to move whole large work folders over but I'll deal with it....

With still the HD issue, I ran again and the thing is with this new memory, even with raised voltages and I also overclocked the CPU more, the CPU is getting taxed so easily.... doing nothing its fine but as soon as I run the benchmark or even something like Malwarebytes, with the new Adata RAM the CPU usage just shoot up to near 100% so often, this cant just be HD related can it?

That all having been said, why does the result not even show the SSD mark?

This is after freeing up about 10% of my main drive:
No better.
Try the other things I suggested for the drive.

with the new Adata RAM the CPU usage just shoot up to near 100% so often, this cant just be HD related can it?
Probably not as it happens as you add the RAM and goes away when you swap back but HDD can make CPU usage spike like that when there is a fault and since it looks like there is a problem there it is worth checking out.

This is how the drive should be performing and as you can see it is a long way short of that.
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Mushkin-Reactor-1TB/Rating/3583

No better.
Try the other things I suggested for the drive.

Probably not as it happens as you add the RAM and goes away when you swap back but HDD can make CPU usage spike like that when there is a fault and since it looks like there is a problem there it is worth checking out.

This is how the drive should be performing and as you can see it is a long way short of that.
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Mushkin-Reactor-1TB/Rating/3583

Is it possible that Gigabyte only included SATA2 cables?
Is there any way to check the cables themselves to see what they are?

I did just order some new SATA3 cables anyways, but curious.....

SATA II vs SATA III would only cap the max speed and is not the reason for the very slow speeds you are seeing which are below SATA I.
The MB usual come with some cables labeled as SATA II and some SATA III but apparently they are physically much the same and can both run SATA III but sometimes you can get a faulty cable which can be the cause of some performance problems.
Sometimes the MB SATA controller can also become faulty and swapping ports can help.
Running CrystalDiskInfo and checking the smart data will help to rule out the SSD as the problem.

Don't even think about 16GB modules--those are ECC Registered and will not work with a consumer motherboard.

What I would do is put in your old ram and do a memtest overnight. If it passes (which it should), I would update the bios. I know it's a bit of a heart attack moment if it goes wrong, but 99% it goes fine and you can even put the system on a UPS to thwart some random power outage.

Once you have updated the bio, try the new memory again. And once it is recognized, run memtest again overnight. If it passes the memtest, I would try to use it and see how it runs.

My old x58 build would behave like this as the drives filled up. Updating the bios is the path of least resistance regarding RAM compatibility.
If that's still a no go then I would seriously consider plopping in an extra hard drive or two and just let windows try to do whatever it does

Since you ran out of space on the SSD and your low on RAM you should also check where your virtual memory is and make sure it is only on the SSD.

Regarding the slow SSD results you may want to check that your SATA mode in BIOS is set to AHCI. If it's set to IDE that could explain your lower than expected performance. (Changing this setting without some OS work will result in BSOD on boot so just check it for now to rule it out.) It looks like your mobo has 2 chipset SATA III ports and 2 on a Marvel controller. In my experience the 3rd party controllers suck and may have required you to install drivers during the OS install if not set to IDE mode.

Did you ever figure out XMP or manually apply the manufacturer settings for the RAM? Do you have links to the RAM? Depending on the RAM timings the 1600 could actually be slower. I would get your timings and voltage all set to manufacturer specs and run memtest before messing around too much.

Last edited:
Back