Memory Slot Configuration Issues

ThirdLeft152

Limp Gawd
All,

I have an Asus P8P67-M Pro that I have not really used in a while and was looking to add some more memory to the system.

I am experiencing some weird behavior. I have had Corsair 2x4 GB kit installed for years and it worked fine. I guess I never really realized that I had the two chips installed in A1 & A2 - and now I realized its running in single channel instead of dual channel mode. I see now why i did it, that was the only way to get the computer to boot. These are the configurations that will and will not boot,

Will boot

A2
A1 & A2

Will not boot

A1
B1
B2
A1 & B1
A2 & B2
B1 & B2
A1 & A2 & B1 & B2

Seems like something is wrong. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
You might need to increase the RAM voltage just a little bit.

Do you have the 8-pin power connector (not PCI-E but looks similar) plugged into the motherboard in the upper left corner?

I am currently using a default XMP profile (1.5V i think - which is what they are rated for). I guess I could increase it a bit, i didn't think about RAM voltage being a possible issue.

I would assume if the 8-pin was not plugged in there would be several other things not functioning on my system and probably wouldn't boot, but I will confirm that later as well.

Appreciate the suggestions. Will test later and report back later tonight.

I thought I remembered another reason DIMM slots can stop working, and here it is. Memory traces run adjacent to the CPU heat sink holes, and if a CPU cooler is installed without the washers to protect the PCB, the DIMM slots may be disabled by a scratch there. Not saying this happened to you, it's just a possibility.

I thought I remembered another reason DIMM slots can stop working, and here it is. Memory traces run adjacent to the CPU heat sink holes, and if a CPU cooler is installed without the washers to protect the PCB, the DIMM slots may be disabled by a scratch there. Not saying this happened to you, it's just a possibility.

I have not considered this. I gave up for a month or so while I was waiting for BF1 to come out. Now I am looking into it again. I appreciate the info and will check is this is a possible resoultion for me.

thank you.

Check QVL for proper RAM specs. Those sticks may not be compatible. Or the board is flaky.

Back