Memory Mystery

Gillette

[H]ard|Gawd
About a week ago I installed a 2x2GB kit of OCZ Reaper PC2-9200. Ran great with my CPUs original overclock with the RAM running at its stock voltage (2.2V).

Tonight, out of nowhere, I start getting errors saying files are corrupted or apps are randomly crashing. I reset my overclock and vcore to stock... same problems.

Run memtest86 - endless errors reported.

Why would my RAM randomly die after after working fine for a week? Never had this happen before... back on my old 2GB kit in the mean time which seems to be working without issue.

Ok, WTF... now my PC can't hold an overclock. Was running at 3.5Ghz @ 1.4V fine earlier today and for the past year or so, and now I can't even boot Windows at 3.2Ghz at that voltage.

Seems fine running stock voltage/speed...

Update: Running solid at 3Ghz @ 1.375V...

Update 2: Can't boot Windows at 3.2 @ 1.4V

FML I might be retarded, memory divider was set wrong, able to boot at 3.2 now. The error spam with my new RAM still sucks though :(

Yep I'm retarded, divider was set wrong. Back up and running at 3.4. Any ideas as to why my RAM commit seppuku are still welcome though :p

Last edited:
Any ideas as to why my RAM commit seppuku are still welcome though :p
Maybe because you actually used the RAM. Some RAM can become even more defective when they're actually powered and being used.

1150 is a tough screen to meet with the current ICs available. Just to be thorough, why don't you test the memory at DDR800 and then scale it up some and see if it's stable at any speed between 800 and 1150.

If not, RMA time.

Back