Mem for Ryzen

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I'm thinking of getting a 1700 non x cpu and system, i started a thread here https://hardforum.com/threads/thinking-of-getting-a-ryzen-1700.1926529/ but if i do go forward with this I would like some help with choosing memory, as originaly i was going to get a 32GB 3200MHz G.Skill ripjaws kit but it looks like this might not be the best option I don't know and there seems to be little info at this point to go on so I ask the [H] community that has had some hands on experience already what would you do? get sub 3000MHz mem for better compatibility or get the 3200MHz mem and just use a slower speed until the mem issues are resolved and i also here that i should go no bigger then 16GB as Ryzen is having performance issues with larger addresses.

Also I just want to ask in general that my threads I'm starting are not being a pain in the *** for some, as in should i be posting this in a existing thread or would that be hijacking some one else post, I ask this as i have posted some other threads and have had almost no feed back, like the questions I'm asking are so obviously answered that no one is bothering to spoon feed me the thing is I have been doing a lot of reading both in the intel and AMD forums and I'm still struggling to find complete context, i have come as far as saying I'm 80% going to go with a Ryzen system based off of what i have read and am currently reading I just thought by now some one would try to make a argument for Broadwell-e or kabylake, call me stupid for considering the 1700, I really want the feed back so i can make a more informed decision :p. Anyway let me know if I'm doing it wrong and ppl are just reading my threads and rolling there eyes not even bothering to waste the time to correct my foolishness. thanks for reading

Well I think that also depends on the motherboard you select and what they have listed as compatible ram. For example ASUS Rog VI Hero has 3200MHz G.Skill ram listed for 16gb but not for 32gb at 3200 speed, 2 sticks only, 4 sticks the speeds are greatly reduced. As for lower end motherboards supporting the more OC speeds is unknown. They also don't have the Corsair 3000 listed for 16gb the ones sent out with the review motherboards and the one I bought. I expect to get at least 2933 from it though. How memory support will change if it will change I do not know.

I will wait 6 months or more, memory makers will most likely make X370 ram kits that will work better and probably grab a 32gb kit and hold onto or sale my 16gb Corsair kit. Anyways see what the motherboard specifies on the ram. Later you will also see what others found to work well with it which I am sure 32gb higher speed ram will eventually work fine.

I'm thinking of getting the Gigabyte GA-AX370 Gaming 5 and going with 16GB kit for now, and stick with the 2666MHz or 2933MHz mem for better compatibility from what I'm reading it's the timing i have to make sure is up to snuff, thanks for the reply

For what its worth, my asus b350 prime works fine with 2 x 8gb evga 3000 cl 15 after a bios update. It looks like faster the ram you can get to work the better off your overall performance is. Ive read people are having trouble getting dual rank memory to work so i went with 16gb instead of 32gb for now. i had some difficulty telling if ram was single rank or dual rank -- as the sku / specifications does not always say

For what its worth, my asus b350 prime works fine with 2 x 8gb evga 3000 cl 15 after a bios update. It looks like faster the ram you can get to work the better off your overall performance is. Ive read people are having trouble getting dual rank memory to work so i went with 16gb instead of 32gb for now. i had some difficulty telling if ram was single rank or dual rank -- as the sku / specifications does not always say
This is true, the other weird aspect is the fabric, AMD's fancy name for the Northbridge operates 1/2 speed of the rated DDR 4 ram, so DDR 3000 if it is operating at 3000/2 = 1500mhz for the fabric or communication between the two CCXs. At 2133mhz it would be operating at 1067mhz. The bigger effect maybe that fabric speed then just the ram speed difference. More stuff to test.

Changing memory speeds for The Witcher 3 seems to have a decent impact on performance:
http://www.eteknix.com/memory-speed-large-impact-ryzen-performance/

It would be interesting if someone did a larger comparison on different games at different memory speeds. It seems to me that the lower performance in games is probably due to memory speeds being relatively slow on the review systems. Most of the productivity type applications are probably better at using a smaller memory footprint and keep things in the cache than games are, so that might explain the difference for the different types of applications.

We know that the L3 interconnect speed is directly tied to memory speed (1/2 mem speed to be precise) and appears to be a bottleneck for communication between the CCXs (AKA L3 latency)

Over in the Anand thread Stilt mentioned the possibility that some of the various fabrics might be able to run at different speeds (or might not, see https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-14#post-38778725 for his explanation) . If that can be worked into a UEFI update then we could see great results. keeping fingers crossed. Otherwise I'm gonna have to look into faster DDR4 `cause 2400 looks to be leaving a lot on the table.

We know that the L3 interconnect speed is directly tied to memory speed (1/2 mem speed to be precise) and appears to be a bottleneck for communication between the CCXs (AKA L3 latency)

Over in the Anand thread Stilt mentioned the possibility that some of the various fabrics might be able to run at different speeds (or might not, see https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/page-14#post-38778725 for his explanation) . If that can be worked into a UEFI update then we could see great results. keeping fingers crossed. Otherwise I'm gonna have to look into faster DDR4 `cause 2400 looks to be leaving a lot on the table.

If you read it, it seems like 2666+ is about the same but don't go below 2666 is the conclusion I got.
so I got 64 gb of corsair 2666 mhz LPX.

running 2 sticks of 16gb 2400 hyperX dimms on my Gigabyte AB350M I had to tune down to 2133 to run stable. Otherwise random lag, reboots, and non boots on win 10. Was scratching my head until another member on this forum shared his experience with the same setup.

Back