Megaupload Programmer Calls For Dignity In US Extradition Battle

HardOCP News

[H] News
Translation: Please don't extradite me to the U.S..

The network expert said that although he was “flabbergasted” by the raids, he remains in love with New Zealand. Der Kolk hopes, however, that the country maintains its poise and self-respect in dealing with the United States and their extradition requirements. “I really hope New Zealand will keep its dignity and can show that it is a sovereign state that has its own justice system,” he said.

"“I really hope New Zealand will keep its dignity and can show that it is a sovereign state that has its own justice system,”
Nope buddy your dreaming. New Zealand has been bought out. Your now part of the New World Order.

Got to love US hypocrisy. Bankers can steal billions of dollars and they get a golden parachute yet a guy that downloads get 50 years in jail..

...and they say AnonymousUser (cause that's my name) "why do you hate the government so much?". I answer them very clearly and with due attention, "are you retarded?".

Things like this, but everyday, for years, to the point I can't remember anything better! Big government(s) have to be some of the worst ideas the richest men on the planet ever created then exploited. The only thing Big Gov has became is the broad sword for/of the richest people controlling it (usually where a scalpel is needed). Shame really. I had high hopes for mankind.

He's just kissing ass. He probably has no more respect for New Zealand as anywhere else in the world. He insulted New Zealand's intelligence by assuming he could hide and live lavishly in their country with no repercussion.

I have yet to see where this company did anything illegal compared to Youtube. User's posted their own content.

Because Ford makes vehicles that go travel faster than any posted US speed limit, should all their executives be arrested because their product can be used to break the law?

I have yet to see where this company did anything illegal compared to Youtube. User's posted their own content.

Because Ford makes vehicles that go travel faster than any posted US speed limit, should all their executives be arrested because their product can be used to break the law?

Apparently they were giving rewards for people uploading pirated content or something like that. I also saw someone say they didn't really remove offending content. So there could be a real case here.

Ok I will can see the issue of the rewards for uploading protected content. However the whole removing content issue to me is hard to say who is at fault. Should it be like youtube who will remove a video if their is a song playing in the background? Does Ford get held responsible to stop people from speeding?

Ok I will can see the issue of the rewards for uploading protected content. However the whole removing content issue to me is hard to say who is at fault. Should it be like youtube who will remove a video if their is a song playing in the background? Does Ford get held responsible to stop people from speeding?

If they really weren't complying with DMCA takedown notices it is a huge issue and your analogy doesn't work at all.

If I was in those guys' position I'd just try to go hide somewhere remote, out of the country. would be an insane change in life style though, but it would sure beat going to a US torture chamber, I mean jail.

I still find it insanely retarded how they are treating this as if it was a huge military incident or something. The US government is corrupted beyond insanity. It's pretty bad when their interests are only in money and cock sucking corporations, and not the people. They'll even go to the level of extraditing non US residents.

The process of extradition is too serious for something of this order. Elitists at work here, the worst kind. Interesting immediate future. This practice is going to intensify. Just to be clear, I have no sympathy for the people behind Megaupload, making a fortune on piracy, trials and sentences are deserved. Extraditing people should be kept for the rarest and most severe cases.

Got to love US hypocrisy. Bankers can steal billions of dollars and they get a golden parachute yet a guy that downloads get 50 years in jail..

Not if they can pay the six figure fine, which the banker can of course pay from their 7 figure payout.

If they really weren't complying with DMCA takedown notices it is a huge issue and your analogy doesn't work at all.
Did I miss something here, "DMCA takedown notices" don't remember New Zealand being under US law, bought out maybe,unless their was another secret document floating around from the "New World Order" same as ACTA, that I'm not aware of.

Did I miss something here, "DMCA takedown notices" don't remember New Zealand being under US law, bought out maybe,unless their was another secret document floating around from the "New World Order" same as ACTA, that I'm not aware of.

NZ complies with international piracy laws so saying DMCA takedown is a close enough term.

There's accounts of employees using their own MegaUpload service to upload pirated material --themselves-- for friends and family and in some cases stranger who search site:www.megaupload.com on google to download. So in effect, employees of MegaUpload commited piracy themselves. Google has very stringent rules about 'DO NOT UPLOAD' copyrighted material yourself when it comes to youtube I imagine. Probably also a three-strikes and your fired rule or something along those lines.

If MegaUpload had no such due-diligence, then yes, it makes sense that MegaUpload employees and the company could be considered active piraters themselves rather than the old we just assisted piracy 'but but user generated content' argument your attempting..

Not if they can pay the six figure fine, which the banker can of course pay from their 7 figure payout.

TARP came to 7.7 trillion dollars. That's a few more than 7 figures =) for the bankers and their respective companies. $7,700,000,000,000.00. 13 figures not including cents. 15 with cents.

If any one of them would have a Russian citizenship, things would be different. By now Russia would be threatening with invasions and carpet bombings.

Well the morale of the story is, only do you shady business or anti-US business in Russia or through Russia
happy.gif

Yes, but New Zealand is a civilized country that nice people want to live in. The US is a 'land of opportunity' that people are literally killing each other and doing ridiculous things to themselves to gain entry to.

Russia is a shithole with one of the highest suicide rates in the civilized world.

SOME of these countries are 'rule of law' and SOME of them are 'every man for himself, take what you can get but make sure to bribe the local government official enough we can pay for our nukes'. Guess which is which...

He better watch his fucking mouth. No country thinks they're outside of American witch hunt jurisdiction these days. New Zealand, like every other "sovereign" nation, will bow to our corporate whims because they know that we'll go all Iraq on them if they don't.

They'll get our brand of freedom if they don't toe the line. We'll free the shit out of them, just like we freed the Iraqi people.

Its very sad and disturbing that the U.S can reach out and touch you even if you seek refuge in so many other countries around the world. No place is safe from the U.S government which follows the whims of the corporations. :eek: :(

"Oh, please don't send me to that country whose IP I exploited for my own illegal gain! Please don't make me take responsibility for my actions!"
:rolleyes:

Give me a break. If you break the law, fine. But if you get caught, be man enough to stand up in front of everyone and be honest about it. This is just cowardice, and more mooching, which has apparently been these people's MO for some time.

I don't understand all the angst here. Really? This is what you think is wrong with America and is your proof of the corporations controlling the government? Go back to your cubby holes with your tin foil hats.

The guy very obviously and outlandishly violated copyright laws and profited off of distributing other companies products. That is so against even natural ideas of IP its ridiculous. That is obvious theft, even on a digital level. But on top of him profiting, he then rewarded people who uploaded infringing material.

Now, lets just get past that for a moment to talk about extradition. Extradition is not about punishing "serious" crimes. It happens when the accused violates a law that is normally upheld in both countries. They are then extradited to the country for which the person actually did the damage. Since the case was started and made in the US, NZ will extradite him. If NZ had the case for it, they would keep him and try him in NZ. There is no stomping in NZ's sovereignty here at all. And there is no bowing by NZ to the US.

Seriously people, put down your consipiracy theory books.

Its very sad and disturbing that the U.S can reach out and touch you even if you seek refuge in so many other countries around the world. No place is safe from the U.S government which follows the whims of the corporations. :eek: :(

I agree. I could understand if the guy was a fucking terrorist and killed Americans or a threat to society but wtf is this?
Does anyone really think the government would've given a shit about this crap with the shitload of problems going around if they weren't paid off by RIAA MPAA?

And yea if these guys were in Russia there no way in hell that government or any country whose government had a pair of balls would've thrown them to the wolves.

When will this fucking stop?

I don't understand all the angst here. Really? This is what you think is wrong with America and is your proof of the corporations controlling the government? Go back to your cubby holes with your tin foil hats.

The guy very obviously and outlandishly violated copyright laws and profited off of distributing other companies products. That is so against even natural ideas of IP its ridiculous. That is obvious theft, even on a digital level. But on top of him profiting, he then rewarded people who uploaded infringing material.

Now, lets just get past that for a moment to talk about extradition. Extradition is not about punishing "serious" crimes. It happens when the accused violates a law that is normally upheld in both countries. They are then extradited to the country for which the person actually did the damage. Since the case was started and made in the US, NZ will extradite him. If NZ had the case for it, they would keep him and try him in NZ. There is no stomping in NZ's sovereignty here at all. And there is no bowing by NZ to the US.

Seriously people, put down your consipiracy theory books.

You're talking to people who's trying to justify their Linux distribution downloading habits.

I agree. I could understand if the guy was a fucking terrorist and killed Americans or a threat to society but wtf is this?
Does anyone really think the government would've given a shit about this crap with the shitload of problems going around if they weren't paid off by RIAA MPAA?

And yea if these guys were in Russia there no way in hell that government or any country whose government had a pair of balls would've thrown them to the wolves.

When will this fucking stop?

Reality Check, you do realize that extradition is an extremely common practice. People get extradited for things like not paying child support. And if he was in Russia you know what? Extradited. And if he was in Sweden, you know what? That's right...extradited.

Pretty simple actually: YouTube quickly responds to DMCA take downs, Megaupload did not.

In fact, they didn't take down anything when they got a notice, all they did was disable the one URL listed in the take down notice. They left the file on their servers and also left all other URLs pointing to that file active.

"Oh, please don't send me to that country whose IP I exploited for my own illegal gain! Please don't make me take responsibility for my actions!"
:rolleyes:

Give me a break. If you break the law, fine. But if you get caught, be man enough to stand up in front of everyone and be honest about it. This is just cowardice, and more mooching, which has apparently been these people's MO for some time.

The problem with this is "USA LAW", your innocent untill proven guilty in a court of law. No matter what, by shutting him down SOPA or ACTA, must have all ready been passed. Just saying.

Seriously people, put down your conspiracy theory books.

RON-PAUL.jpg

The problem with this is "USA LAW", your innocent untill proven guilty in a court of law. No matter what, by shutting him down SOPA or ACTA, must have all ready been passed. Just saying.

I'm not really sure what you mean (grammar issues are confusing me). SOPA was not passed, and ACTA really had nothing to do with it. He broke the law and he was arrested. Just like anyone else.

Nice picture, still does not apply to this case at all. There is no gray area here. Megaupload is not producing anything of their own, so there is no competition to speak of. Competition suggest you have multiple companies creating and producing similar products. Like AMD and Nvidia. Megaupload is not creating and producing games, movies, music, etc. They are allowing others to distribute work that those individuals also did not create or produce.

Epic fail for trying to use legitimate Ron Paul concerns for something they do not pertain to.

Nice picture, still does not apply to this case at all.

Epic fail for trying to use legitimate Ron Paul concerns for something they do not pertain to.

Actually no, I was just showing you what was wrong with America! Had nothing to do with this thread...lol

Yes, but New Zealand is a civilized country that nice people want to live in. The US is a 'land of opportunity' that people are literally killing each other and doing ridiculous things to themselves to gain entry to.

Russia is a shithole with one of the highest suicide rates in the civilized world.

SOME of these countries are 'rule of law' and SOME of them are 'every man for himself, take what you can get but make sure to bribe the local government official enough we can pay for our nukes'. Guess which is which...

Well this isn't the Hotel California, you can leave at any time. Maybe let one of those people who wants to be here, you know be here. It would do the rest of the country a lot of good to have the people who want to be here rather than the people who have had an easy life where they have had everything provided for them (and yes if you live the US with internet access....even crappy places like Detroit or Cleveland or New Orleans.....you have had a charmed life) sit here and complain all day.

I'm not really sure what you mean (grammar issues are confusing me). SOPA was not passed, and ACTA really had nothing to do with it. He broke the law and he was arrested. Just like anyone else.

Edit == some form of SOPA or ACTA, must of been passed.

Edit == some form of SOPA or ACTA, must of been passed.

ACTA was signed by the US a while ago. But the MegaUpload shenanigans were not controlled by ACTA. It was a standard criminal (c)/DMCA issue.

They don't even try to make it secret. Unless you're going to call the president of the MPAA a tin foil hatter, because the MPAA openly believes that corporations control the government.

I am sorry, but how is someone being caught in a black and white theft of IP case even remotely related to corporations controlling the government? Please explain that to me. Your link means absolutley nothing here. It doesn't matter if the investigation was started by an extent woolly mammoth. They guy was investigated, caught, and is going on trial.

Again readjust your tin foil cap for trying to relate a black and white case of IP theft to some government conspiracy. Not everything is a conspiracy, some things are just simple.

Back