Meet the New Firefox 35

I'm using Chrome right now, for one simple reason: separate processes for each tab. I'd *love* to go back to Firefox, since Google is trying to wrest more and more control away from their users, but that one feature is keeping me from leaving.

The other features? meh.
--I don't have a Mac, so that feature doesn't mean anything
--video chatting? feature creep
--new search UI? what was wrong with the old one?
--Firefox marketplace? Ok, that's useful, but I'm ok downloading extensions elsewhere

Now that FF has ver. 35 out that has tab memory performance improvements, Tom's Hardware needs to redo their Web browser review to compare FF, IE, Safari, Chrome, Opera, etc.

FF fucks up way to much for me. Anything graphics related, and it just kills every single open tab. When I'm doing research, it's at least 30-40 tabs open for 2-3 days. It was worse when I had connected my display via DP. I have a habit of turning off my display when I leave my desk. For some reason, that drops the link with DP, and when I return to my desk and turn on my monitor, the link doesn't reestablish, and the only way to get it working again (other than a hard reboot) is to unplug the DP connector from the GPU end, and plug it in again. This causes FF to freak out... and all of my desktop icons to rearrange themselves into the upper left corner of my screen.

IE does not have this issue and neither does Chrome, though IE sometimes randomly closes an open tab for no reason. I'm currently using FF (I change browsers about every 6 months), but I've just about had it.

If I'm reading it right I'm just under 5gb mem used with chrome, two windows, one with 49 tabs one with 18. I quit using FireFox when I noticed it was waking my second GPU and warming things up more than should have been at basically idle. It's less of a thing in the winter but in the summer it was enough to be my admitidly hot running system to a fan level I could hear as opposed to virtually silent. Nobody I found via Google could do more than acknowledge the issue, so I moved to Chrome about six or eight months ago. I had a session and tab manager/saver for FF for when it crashed, which wasn't too often but it did. Back then, I used Chrome for work and FF for personal stuff, so it's mem usage was likely lower than my current Chrome totals. If I could put chrome tabs on the bottom in multi rows and have them not shrink down to not being able to read the names, I'd be pretty happy with it. I'll check out the new FF later, but I've been waiting on a 64b version for awhile too.
I was a FF user since, uh.. Netscape..

so can any of you firefox gurus help me out? when i maximize my FF, it looks normal, whatever theme i use, i see...but when i window my FF, i get this stupid windows title bar (currently white as in screenshot). how do i get rid of that and use the firefox min/max/close buttons?

Untitled.jpg

Looks very tablet oriented. Any reason for someone using a laptop/desktop like myself to upgrade? I assume the video options, store and other bloat are optional? I really don't want that stuff.

Might be a coincidence, but I've encountered numerous Flash-related crashes and other types of strange hangs after installing the latest version.

Does this one break Roboform again? Those Aclowns are always breaking Roboform so I always slack on updating.

Mem fox is not working for me, ANyone know of another addon like it? 247mb for Just HardForum open is fucking dumb.

I can't believe people still worry about RAM usage these days. Fill your mobo and you're good to go. Any for those on a tablet or phone you shouldn't be using FF anyway.

I can't believe people still worry about RAM usage these days. Fill your mobo and you're good to go. Any for those on a tablet or phone you shouldn't be using FF anyway.

At home I agree, but at work, it sometimes became an issue. FF sometimes uses over 2GB of ram and I've had enough apps open to use up most of what was left of my 8GB.

In fairness, I rarely restart FF and Windows is only restarted for patching (or apps that require a restart).

Back