Media Streamer w USB Monitor

EndersShadow

[H]ard|Gawd
In thinking about how I listen to my music at work, I realized that just about any way you slice it the source components are my biggest issue. Most iPod's Classics lack a nice GUI for navigating menu's easy (compared to the Touch or iPhone), or are limited in HDD space for the price (Touch and iPhone). Even with expensive doc's (like a Wadia 171) you still need lossless files which are large by nature. Eitherway they simply lack enough HDD space to not eventually run out if you are storing files in a AIFF or FLAC format. So I thought in my head, why not just build a nice small powered HTPC that uses a touchscreen for your source. Pair that with a decent USB DAC to a headphone amp and you can have a very small stack of components capable of very good sound. Best part is you can scale up the HDD's as needed. Now I do realize I could just get a Squeezebox Touch and connect a HDD to it, but thats no fun :). In looking at the market I know some folks would just add in a soundcard with a built in headphone amp and then just let the PC do all the work, but I know that separating out your components allows you the most flexibility to swap things in and out. That and a soundcard in a computer isnt the most ideal setting for ensuring you dont have any noise.

So I am embarking upon a little quest to build a nice small mini-itx computer. This computer might be connected to a network, but ONLY if I can stream pandora through Pandora.com using the wireless from the office below us (which I do on occasion but thats not this items main purpose). Otherwise it will be totally self contained and updated only when I bring it home to load more music onto it. I know Pandora streaming works with my current iPhone but no guarantee its going to work on a actual computer.

Here is what I have so far for components:

Motherboard (budgeted ~75 but willing to go higher if worth it): I decided upon the Hudson platform because its a total CPU, GPU setup and in theory it can run HD video, but I dont need that. Its got a dual core CPU and uses DDR3 memory. I am not totally locked in on the platform so feel free to make some suggestions, but keep it mini itx or smaller. I need a motherboard that has USB ports as well as a Coaxial or Optical port if possible. If it has both that would be even better but its not a must.

ASRock E35LM1 - I like this because its got a small heatsink fan (which I would replace with a more quiet one) and has SPDIF out so I have more options later on for a DAC. Its also got support for 6 gig per second HDD for future use.
ASUS C60M1-I - I like this one because its passive, but I lose the SPDIF output so I would be stuck using USB DAC's unless I were to add a soundcard on using the PCI Express x 16

Memory: Dont think I need tons of memory so this should be fine, I can always add another stick if needed.
Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066

Hard drive:
I will be reusing a 320 gig 7200 HDD I have currently for this project to save a buck or two.

Accessories:
SilenX LX-HDSS Hard Drive Cooler - I am not necessarily stuck on this particular one, but I will be incorporating one to cut down on any seeking noise as well as keep the HDD cool so I can keep any fans running low.

Cases (>100 if possible): Here is where I am having trouble. I want to keep the cost low initially and later on get a good case with a good power-supply but for now I am trying to go cheap here. I need a 5.25 bay for the HDD cooler initially as well as the fact that having a 5.25 bay opens up the option later on of adding a burner to copy music direct to the device rather than having to transfer it. Here are the cases that currently meet my criteria

APEX MI-008
Thermaltake Element Q - I like this one as I know you can modify it to hold a 120mm fan which would provide more than adequate cooling at a v
IN WIN BP655.200BL
APEVIA X-FIT-200

This is not a totally inclusive list so feel free to suggest other options, but please keep them small. I am not looking for something like the Silverstone Micro ATX cases that are MASSIVE.

Operating system:

I will still need to acquire a Operating system and I haven't decided if I want to stick with the Windows OS and go Windows 7 or if I want to go more open source and go with XMBC. Both motherboards should be able to handle that with no problem, but I am not sure how the output will look over a USB touchscreen.

Touchscreen:
Now the most expensive part will be the touchscreen and I am looking at some of the 7" options as I dont need it to be super big. Those seem to be almost as much as the actual system itself. I am totally open to suggestions on which ones to buy. I dont need anything MONSTER size, just something small say under 13" (prefer 10 or under)

Most of these configurations come in at under 150 bucks (without the touchscreen). For what I get out of it I dont think thats a bad idea.

I am curious as to everyone's thoughts on this build and open to any suggestions or comments about the Hudson platform, cases, etc.

Mobo wise, out of those two, really dependent on what matters more to you: The longer warranty and more than likely higher quality but significantly slower Asus mobo or the faster but shorter warrantied and probably not as great quality AsRock.

As for RAM, that RAM is overpriced: Note that a 4GB of RAM costs $20 these days. So if you want to make sure that you're getting the best bang for the buck either for a $20 4GB RAM set or make sure that 2GB set of RAM costs $10. Any more than $10 and you might as well go for 4GB:
$20 - G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBNT 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Now the case, I wouldn't recommend any of those cases as is since they all have really shitty PSUs and the lack of free shipping further increases their already high prices ($60 to $75 shipped). With that said, it's not hard to get a good case and PSU right now with your $100 budget. Here's three options:
Option 1:
$60 - COOLER MASTER Elite 120 mITX Case
$40 - Antec Earthwatts Green EA380D 380W PSU
---
Total: $100 shipped

Option 2:
$45 - Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK mITX Case
$49 - Seasonic SS-350SFE 350W SFX PSU
---
Total: $94 shipped

Option 3:
$57 - IN WIN BP655.200BL mITX Case
$40 - SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W TFX PSU
--
Total: $97 shipped

OS wise, XMBC is free so try that first and then get Windows if the open source route doesn't work for you at all.

Mobo wise, out of those two, really dependent on what matters more to you: The longer warranty and more than likely higher quality but significantly slower Asus mobo or the faster but shorter warrantied and probably not as great quality AsRock.

As for RAM, that RAM is overpriced: Note that a 4GB of RAM costs $20 these days. So if you want to make sure that you're getting the best bang for the buck either for a $20 4GB RAM set or make sure that 2GB set of RAM costs $10. Any more than $10 and you might as well go for 4GB:
$20 - G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-2GBNT 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

Now the case, I wouldn't recommend any of those cases as is since they all have really shitty PSUs and the lack of free shipping further increases their already high prices ($60 to $75 shipped). With that said, it's not hard to get a good case and PSU right now with your $100 budget. Here's three options:
Option 1:
$60 - COOLER MASTER Elite 120 mITX Case
$40 - Antec Earthwatts Green EA380D 380W PSU
---
Total: $100 shipped

Option 2:
$45 - Rosewill RS-MI-01 BK mITX Case
$49 - Seasonic SS-350SFE 350W SFX PSU
---
Total: $94 shipped

Option 3:
$57 - IN WIN BP655.200BL mITX Case
$40 - SeaSonic SS-300TFX Bronze 300W TFX PSU
--
Total: $97 shipped

OS wise, XMBC is free so try that first and then get Windows if the open source route doesn't work for you at all.

Appreciate the thoughts. I ended up thinking that both platforms might fall a bit on their face, especially for encoding FLAC or AIFF, so I ended up looking at some other small platforms and the Sandy Bridge caught my eye. Mini ITX platform with low TDP and built in graphics somehow??

So I built a nice little platform around it, the case is a PITA to find a heatsink for though but I think it looks like a piece of audio equipment

Here is the build I have in mind.

Motherboard (65): Foxconn H67S
CPU (50): Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop
Memory (15): Crucial 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
CPU Cooler (40): Scythe SCKZT-1000 80mm Kozuti
Case (150): HTPC-ITX6
Hard Drive (0): Resused 320 gig 7200 RPM something lol

Total cost: 315

I was also recommended to look for a used mac mini to do the same thing... Thoughts on that idea?

The RAM is still overpriced. As for the case, it looks great but a tad pricey IMO in terms of PSU quality.

A used Mac Mini isn't too bad of an idea. That's assuming that you can find a good deal for one.

The RAM is still overpriced.

What RAM would you recommend?

As for the case, it looks great but a tad pricey IMO in terms of PSU quality.

What would you recommend Pico PSU wise?

A used Mac Mini isn't too bad of an idea. That's assuming that you can find a good deal for one.

The only issue there is still space as the Mini normally has a 160 gig HDD max which I could forsee myself using up quickly...

What RAM would you recommend?
The RAM I recommended earlier. It's $7 more and gets you twice as much RAM. Apparently 2GB RAM prices have been going up.
What would you recommend Pico PSU wise?
Not sure to be honest. Haven't kept up to date on Pico PSUs lately.
The only issue there is still space as the Mini normally has a 160 gig HDD max which I could forsee myself using up quickly...
Get an external hard drive?

The RAM I recommended earlier. It's $7 more and gets you twice as much RAM. Apparently 2GB RAM prices have been going up.

Gotcha. Will do.

Not sure to be honest. Haven't kept up to date on Pico PSUs lately.

Yeah my thinking in using theirs is you know it will work with their gear lol. I will do some looking on SilentPCreview they seem to have info on a couple.

Get an external hard drive?

Yeah, dont want to add any more boxes. As of right now when the system itself is done I am looking at:

7" Touchscreen monitor
Computer
Asyncrhonus USB Digital to Analog Converter
Headphone Amp
Headphones

Thats enough boxes/parts for me lol. Thats why I liked the option of being able to upgrade from an existing HDD to one with more storage later, I can not worry about growing my libray and NOT having it contained in the case.

And I am aware there are soundcards you can add that have Analog Outs as well as built in headphone amps, but I for my purposes I think they are too much of a compromise, and I would prefer to keep things seperate.

New updated build. I still need to source a Pico PSU as the case requires one, but given my low power needs I dont think going with a Pico PSU will be an issue as long as I get a decent one (like 100 watts or better).

Any thoughts on how big a PSU I need for at max 1 3.5 and 25. HDD, Slot loading Optical drive and the motherboard? Also I am not locked into the 2.4 CPU, I just thought I should get one with a lower Ghz as that should translate to less heat production and let it be cooled better with the heatsink I got.
Motherboard (65): Foxconn H67S

CPU (50): Intel Celeron G530 Sandy Bridge 2.4GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop

Memory (21): G.SKILL Value Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

CPU Cooler (40): Scythe SCKZT-1000 80mm Kozuti

Case (90): HTPC-ITX6

Hard Drive (0): Resused 320 gig 7200 RPM something lol

Total cost: 266

Any thoughts on how big a PSU I need for at max 1 3.5 and 25. HDD, Slot loading Optical drive and the motherboard?
A good 90W PSU would be enough for that. However since there haven't been a PicoPSU review by the six or seven legitimate PSU review sites out there, I'm not comfortable recommending a specific picoPSU without accurate info about the quality. Hence why the case+PSU setups I recommended earlier all used regular PSUs of sorts: They're a known quantity.

A good 90W PSU would be enough for that. However since there haven't been a PicoPSU review by the six or seven legitimate PSU review sites out there, I'm not comfortable recommending a specific picoPSU without accurate info about the quality. Hence why the case+PSU setups I recommended earlier all used regular PSUs of sorts: They're a known quantity.

Yeah the only review I see is of this particular one on SPCR: Winmate DD-24AX DC-DC
. They are still sold on ebay but they sell for about 60 bucks plus 15 shipping so its actually cheaper to buy the one with the case, plus that one doesnt need to be physically mounted anywhere on the case like this one does.

I bought my components earlier this morning and they are on their way. I think I did good.

I went with the following:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A75N-USB3 (good review here)

I went with this motherboard as it uses good parts from a trusted brand. I read LOTS of reviews of ASRock boards (both H67, H61, H77, FM1) and while some are positive there were some constant issues with them and some trusted sources said they were iffy at times. I was more familiar with ASUS but that board wouldnt work given its 24 pin connectors location. Given I dont want to mess around I decided this board was a better choice and its got just about everything I wanted.

As a side bonus it also will work with the Streamcom FC8 case I in all likelyhood may move this system into sometime soon so I can go totally passive. It will depend on how this system sounds noise wise but I really like the Streamcom case. Its not worth returning my current case at the present time for the Streamcom as I dont have the cash for it.

CPU: AMD A4-Series A4-3400

In looking at this CPU v the Pentium G530 in this link the A4-3400 bests it in just about all the tests they ran, especially the FLAC test. Given that and that Windows 7 goes back to more single core usage I decided to go with this CPU. It also should allow me to use a blu-ray player and playback video with no issues on my TV (if I decided to do that later on) as well as Netflix and Youtube.

Memory: Kingston HyperX LoVo 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz

This memory is more than likely overkill for this particular setup but since it wasnt too expensive and is also low voltage I thought it would be worth it. I checked to ensure it is listed as compatible on Gigabytes website. It is also 30mm tall so I shouldnt have any issues with it running into the 3.5 HDD installed in my case.

I am going to hope the stock heatsink will be under 40mm tall but we will see. If not I was planning on buying the SILVERSTONE NT07-AM2 as it will more than fit. I also plan to replace the stock 80mm fcase fan with a Noctua 80mm fan.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

Back