Media Storage/Backup Server

anthrex

[H]ard|Gawd
So I'm looking to use a free'd up old computer I want to act as a server streaming media to my PS3 and other future media add-ons (thinking XBMC/Boxee type devices). Also ideally it would backup two to three computers. The computer is running the following:
Athlon 64 X2 (W) 5000+ 2.6 GHz
Asus A8M2N-LA
GeForce 6150 LE
2GB of RAM
320GB hdd
and I will add on a 2tb Samsung F4 to begin with.

I was wondering what would be my best OS to use with this? I was thinking Freenas. I have no background with it but since this isn't mission critical I'd be able to play around with different configurations. Also, if possible I would prefer not to buy anything else besides further storage as needed. Looking forward to all of your ideas as just searching for ideas on google is making my head spin. Thanks!

How difficult would it be to upgrade the hardware as sometimes towards the end of the year I'd like to upgrade it to something more power efficient. Also, with Freenas 8 beta out do you all think it might be possible to upgrade to it at some later date? Would it be possible to create some sort of ORB like online streaming service or would transferring to WHS + Flexraid be better?

I was wondering what would be my best OS to use with this? I was thinking Freenas. I have no background with it but since this isn't mission critical I'd be able to play around with different configurations. Also, if possible I would prefer not to buy anything else besides further storage as needed. Looking forward to all of your ideas as just searching for ideas on google is making my head spin. Thanks!
Go with FreeNAS since it's free and not hard to setup.
How difficult would it be to upgrade the hardware as sometimes towards the end of the year I'd like to upgrade it to something more power efficient.
Depends on the OS you're going with.

Also, with Freenas 8 beta out do you all think it might be possible to upgrade to it at some later date? Would it be possible to create some sort of ORB like online streaming service or would transferring to WHS + Flexraid be better?

The ORB like feature sounds possible but dunno the software required for that. Not sure about FreeNAS' capability to be upgraded to a newer version. Whether or not WHS + FlexRAID is better is largly dependent on your exact needs for a server OS.

Back