• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Media server storage solution?

TooEasy!

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
223
Currently, I have 3 x 1tb and 1 tb hard drives in my media server and currently looking at the options of purchasing a raid card for an raid-5 array. To my understanding, raid cards that have the features of Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) and Online RAID. Level Migration (ORLM) allow a user to start with a small storage solution and add more drives in the future to the array. Reason for me asking is that I was thinking of the idea of beginning with this setup to keep cost to a minimum and scale accordingly.

Parts:

HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL
2 x 3tb Hitachi Deskstar in Raid-0 (switching array to raid-5 when I purchase 3rd drive)

Will be using current HTPC which is:
Q6600 on the Abit AB9 Quad GT
8 gb ram
ati 5450

Any thoughts?
 
How long will it take you to get that 3rd 3TB drive?
Did you check to see if your chosen 3TB drive will actually work with that card? Or if it will work with any 3TB drive?
Do you not have any more SATA ports available on your motherboard?
 
About a month once the card and 2 drives are purchase. I have not verified if that particular model works w/ the controller, but I do know the card supports 3TB drives. My motherboard is max out currently, but the new drives (3tb) I plan on getting will be in place of the 3x1 tb and (1) 2tb. I've just read if go for an raid-5 config, your best option is always an add-on card instead of on-board. Plus, I doubt the ICH8R would support the 3TB drives.
 
IMO, RAID 0 of that much storage for a month is not a good idea, especially if you don't have a backup of said data. I recommend going for RAID 5 from the get-go. Which means waiting to buy that 3rd 3TB drive.
 
Yeah man that's nuts. My balls sweat just having files on a raid 0 for more than a day.
 
IMO, RAID 0 of that much storage for a month is not a good idea, especially if you don't have a backup of said data. I recommend going for RAID 5 from the get-go. Which means waiting to buy that 3rd 3TB drive.

Oh, I didn't have plans to erase the data of the drives once I transferred the data. That's why I wasn't so worried about setting up as raid-0 initially.
 
Back
Top