Media Server or Media Server/HTPC rig from recycled parts

one swell foop

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to be upgrading soon, leaving me with a good few spare parts. I've been wanting to rig up a separate machine with a RIAD setup to back up my computers and store all my movies and music. This is the primary goal. I've also sort of wanted an HTPC, and if I can wrap them all into one with minimal extra cost, I'll do it.

When I upgrade I'll have an EVGA 750i SLI FTW mobo to spare, as well as an older MSI board supporting the same socket, a q9550, a core 2 duo e8400, a set of 2 gigs of DDR2(2x1 gigs), a set of 4 gigs of DDR2 (2x2 gigs), a xigmatek dark knight heatsink and accompanying fan (which is rather large, and tall), and a Corsair HX520 PSU.

I'd prefer to start with at least 4 TB of storage (gonna wait till HD prices drop back to close to where they were before the floods in Thailand). I want that 4 tb to be redundant, and I don't recall which RAID setting would wind up with me having 4 2tb drives with 2 of the drives being a duplicate of the other two, but that's what I'm thinking about doing. I want this to be expandable.

Physical size of the case matters, and I'm going to want something with good dust filters since no matter how much I clean, dust is a plague in my house. I will create another thread in the cases & case modding section once the hardware is decided upon, but I want something that is as small as possible but will still fit the drives and other, necessary, hardware.

What would you do in a similar situation?
Should I be looking at picking up an old mini atx or smaller mobo (depending on pricing, part of the object here is to recycle old hardware to save as much money as possible) that supports the q9550 or e8400?
Would the e8400 have enough power to run the media server allowing me to save the q9550 for a later build of a HTPC machine?
Are there other considerations that I should be evaluating that I have not outlined here?

Thanks for any input!

I'm going to be upgrading soon, leaving me with a good few spare parts. I've been wanting to rig up a separate machine with a RAID setup to back up my computers and store all my movies and music. This is the primary goal. I've also sort of wanted an HTPC, and if I can wrap them all into one with minimal extra cost, I'll do it.
Unfortunately you probably won't be able to do media server + HTPC setup if you want RAID. Here's the deal:
- Generally, the motherboard's onboard sofware RAID chip is slow, not-so-reliable, and may have expandability issues. Not to mention that Nvidia RAID is actually of lower quality/performance than Intel's ICH10R and ICH9R. But it's compatible with Windows.
- If you want proper RAID AND Windows, you may have to buy a $300 or so true hardware RAID card
- Generally, the best free RAID options do not work with Windows. This includes ZFS and Linux MDADM RAID. Unfortunately those free RAID options are for OSes that don't work entirely well for HTPC duties. In addition, if you're not comfortable with BSD or Linux, those free RAID options are gonna be a little hard to handle.
- The closest that you can get towards a media server + HTPC setup is a FlexRAID + Windows 7 but it's not as established or thoroughly vetted as ZFS or Linux MDADM. Though you're welcome to try it out.

I'd prefer to start with at least 4 TB of storage (gonna wait till HD prices drop back to close to where they were before the floods in Thailand). I want that 4 tb to be redundant, and I don't recall which RAID setting would wind up with me having 4 2tb drives with 2 of the drives being a duplicate of the other two, but that's what I'm thinking about doing. I want this to be expandable.
That sounds like two different RAID types actually: RAID 6 and RAID 1+0. For simplicity's sake, go for RAID 6.

What would you do in a similar situation?
Probably a Linux distro + Linux MDADM RAID as I'm not a fan of ZFS' method of drive/RAID expansion
Should I be looking at picking up an old mini atx or smaller mobo (depending on pricing, part of the object here is to recycle old hardware to save as much money as possible) that supports the q9550 or e8400?
Depends on bad you really want the server to be small. IMO, it's not worth spending additional money on a dead socket just to achieve a smaller size. First, you're spending money on a dead socket so that's bad. Second, you're limiting the server's expansion capability as some mATX mobos only have 4 SATA ports or so. With that said, if you can find a compatible mATX or mITX mobo for $20 shipped and you're not going to be expanding past 4 to 6 drives, then maybe a mATX is viable.
Would the e8400 have enough power to run the media server allowing me to save the q9550 for a later build of a HTPC machine?
Yes.
Are there other considerations that I should be evaluating that I have not outlined here?
Figure out the server OS first. That's gonna dictate how you setup the hardware and such. There's quite a few options for the server OSes:
1) FlexRAID + Windows Home Server 2011 or Windows 7

2) ZFS File Server:
Links:
OpenSolaris derived ZFS NAS/ SAN (Nexenta*, OpenIndiana, Solaris Express, napp-it)
Building ZFS Based Network Attached Storage Using FreeNAS 8
napp-it ZFS server appliance
Building your own ZFS fileserver
ZFSguru NAS fileserver project

3) Linux distro of choice + ]Linux MDADM Software RAID:
Links:
How to create RAID using Ubuntu Software RAID
Linux Software RAID
MDADM
The Software-RAID HOWTO

If you can drop the RAID requirement, that opens up a few more options:
1) Windows Home Server 2011 + Drive bender
2) Amahi Home Server + Greyhole

This thread might help you as well:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1683259

Last edited:
Damn Danny Bui, it's like you're all seeing and all knowing in the hardforums!

I've heard very good things about FreeNAS or ZFS NAS and was planning on using one of those. I'm not going to add to the cost of anything I build by paying for a Windows license. If that means building a separate media server and HTPC so that each will function well in its capacity, then so much the better.

So, to focus on creating a media server.

-I was looking at using Free NAS or ZFS NAS even if the learning curve to set it up is steep.

-RAID 1+0 looks like what I was aiming for. I don't want to loose a couple terabytes in media if a drive goes down. I don't know that there's any other way to easily back up all that data. Can you add drives easily to expand capacity in RAID 1+0?
Redundancy and security of the data is pretty important to me. If I can get the same security without having to do RAID, I'd be happy to try it. I really just want a few drives where the data stays backed up on other drives without me manually having to back everything up or copy it over.

-How much are RAID cards that are supported by Free NAS or ZFS NAS that will accept connections to 6 or 8 drives? Or would it be optimal to simply buy two RAID cards to accomodate that many drives?

Great info. I haven't had time to look through all of the links that you provided, but will do so in the coming days.

Thanks again!

If it's just a home situation, which it sounds like it is, I made something similar recently. Just a windows 2008 server (doesn't have to be server, really, unless you're trying to have some domain control or something as far as I know) setup on my old e6850 build. You can software raid perfectly fine, and while it's not as good as hardware raid, I really don't think it'll make that big of a difference if you're just trying to stream media across your network. If you were actually in a workplace environment with multiple people accessing multiple files at once...

I'd just stripe two 2TB drives and then mirror them across another two. Much more simplistic than the other suggestions, and not quite as powerful, but it'll work just fine imo.

I'll admit I'm not very familiar with NAS vs. a pure file server, so if I'm wrong let me know.

Last edited:
Moved to the Data Storage subforum.

Damn Danny Bui, it's like you're all seeing and all knowing in the hardforums!
Nah just too much free time on my hands.

-RAID 1+0 looks like what I was aiming for. I don't want to loose a couple terabytes in media if a drive goes down.
No. RAID 6 means that you can lose ANY two drives and the data will be safe-ish. With RAID 1+0, if one of the RAID 1 sets dies, you lose all the data IIRC.
Can you add drives easily to expand capacity in RAID 1+0?
Depends on whether you're using ZFS or FreeNAS's built-in RAID engine.
-How much are RAID cards that are supported by Free NAS or ZFS NAS that will accept connections to 6 or 8 drives? Or would it be optimal to simply buy two RAID cards to accomodate that many drives?
You don't need a RAID card for FreeNAS or ZFS NAS. You just need a simple HBA card. I recommend buying the IBM M1015 off eBay for like $75 to $100 or so. Provides you the ability connect 8 SATA drives once you buy the right cables and supports SAS expanders so that you can expand beyond 8 drives later on relatively easy. And it works great under FreeNAS or any other OS that supports ZFS. Some links to read:
http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-m1015-part-1-started-lsi-92208i/
http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-2-performance-lsi-92208i/
http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-3-smart-passthrough-lsi-92208i/
http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

Back