Media server for PC to Android over 3G/4G?

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
I am looking for a serving program to put on my HTPC/media server so that while I'm away I can stream stuff to my phone and keep myself entertained.

Is there a program for PC that can do this? It doesn't matter if it's an http interface or has an complimentary app on Android.

Sounds a lot like AirVideo for iOS (which does exactly what you say AMAZINGLY). I'd definitely be interested in an Android flavor.

I am looking for a serving program to put on my HTPC/media server so that while I'm away I can stream stuff to my phone and keep myself entertained.

Is there a program for PC that can do this? It doesn't matter if it's an http interface or has an complimentary app on Android.

+1. Looking for an app that can stream mainly videos to my android devices.

Thanks.

I want to say there's a way to get Subsonic working with video files, but I don't have the upstream bandwidth at home to have bothered trying. Subsonic works fantastically for music though.

I'm going to try Subsonic, I'll let you all know how it works. We are mostly concerned with music but video would be a nice addition.

I use PlayOn, it works very well. The server application is not free but the client application is. Added bonus is it will convert things like Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, ESPN3, MLB, NHL, Hulu etc... and stream them to your mobile device in addition to your video files.

Other options to look at are Plex which has a free server app but a paid for mobile client.

I have used Orb and frankly it works like shit, PlayOn has worked very well for me. It has a free trial so I would say give that a try.

These are all primarily video applications. For music just use a cloud music service, Amazon, Google Music etc....

Installed Plex last evening. Does everything what I wanted it to do. Video quality is absolutely fantastic over 3G and my home network over wireless N.

I just streamed my HD movie collection to my Evo 4g in the car using my Subsonic media server back home. Easily the best.

Back