Media Player that supports ALL Video Files

benthelefty

Limp Gawd
Hey Guys,

Searched the forums for an answer to this and couldn't locate it. I have about 250+ movies/TV shows on my computer and they are mostly in .avi and .mp4. I've tried iTunes, Windows Media Player and they don't play both those formats. I want a media player that can play all my video files and where I can see a list of all the movies that I want to play, all easy to see. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

Hey Guys,

Searched the forums for an answer to this and couldn't locate it. I have about 250+ movies/TV shows on my computer and they are mostly in .avi and .mp4. I've tried iTunes, Windows Media Player and they don't play both those formats. I want a media player that can play all my video files and where I can see a list of all the movies that I want to play, all easy to see. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Ben

There is no player that supports all formats, but you will probably be best off using VLC - www.videolan.org. It definitely supports avi and .mp4 formats.

Media Player Classic also another good one worth looking into.

Media player classic is seconded. It may look old school as hell but I wouldn't use any other.

MPUI has kind of grown on me of late. I've been using Media Player Classic for a long long time now, but MPlayer is pretty cool because it natively supports DivX/XviD/MPEG1-2-3/Ogg/AAC without the need to install codecs, something that every other media player (except MPC which can play MPEG1/unecrypted MPEG2 natively) falls pretty short of.

It's portable also, so it would be extremely useful in situations where you might want to play a video file but can't install the proper codecs, like a library or corporate network situation.

Highly recommended to at least be looked at... but I still love MPC myself, and it's still my primary media player.

VLC player is my first choice. Second is Media Player Classic with FFDshow also installed.

Thanks for all the help guys. MPC works for what I need. Plays .mpgs and .avis all in the same player. Has an easy add feature so I can see all the added videos on the left side so I can scroll through my library and find what I want to watch. Just what I wanted!

Thanks again.

VLC is good for most people, but I like to tweak my video way too much for me to be able to use it, so I use WMP 11 + FFDShow.

Back