Media folder structure

Allisons Dad

Limp Gawd
I'm just curious how some of you guys are sorting your media libraries. I have around 1,300 movies sitting on my media server and right now they are broke down by genre only. Just wondering how some of you guys do it.

My folder structure is just

Movies
-----------MovieA
-----------MovieB
etc.

For sorting I rely on XBMC's library.

Movies
-HD
-Movie Series
+First Movie in series
+Second Movie in series
+Movie not in series
+Another movie not in series
-SD
-Movie Series
+First Movie in series
+Second Movie in series
+Movie not in series
+Another movie not in series
TV
-TV Series
-Season #
+Episode 1
+Episode 2

Movies
-- Title (Year)

TV Shows
-- Title
----- Season 01
--------- Episode 01

Plex handles my library and allows me to watch my content on almost anything, almost anywhere.

Pretty much the same structure as lilfiend's but without the HD/SD split.

I use Mezzmo and make custom Folder Structure. That software allows complete control over everything.

Movies
-- Title (Year)

TV Shows
-- Title
----- Season 01
--------- Episode 01

Plex handles my library and allows me to watch my content on almost anything, almost anywhere.

This is how I have mine set up. I'm going to check out Plex.

TV Shows
--Series
----Season
------Video files, fanart, metadata, etc

Movies
--Movie title (year)
-----Video files, fanart, metadata,etc

Everything is scraped using MCM, loaded into media browser until probably next weekend when I convert to XBMC.

What Xonim said.

I use Media Center Master as well to scrape for Media Browser, and XBMC takes care of itself.

Drive
--Movies
----Movie Title (no year)
------Fanart, Poster, ISO file, etc

--Kids
----Movie Title (no year)
------Fanart, poster, ISO file, metadata, etc

Mine's sorted by Genre and movies are ripped in their native Blu-ray or DVD folder structures using DVDFab's "Main Movies" selection. If there are multiple tiles in a chronicle, I'll have the main folder with the chapters within in (see Adventure, Lord of the Rings below).

- Action

--- Die Hard I
-------- BDMV
-------- CERTIFICATE

--- The Dark Knight
-------- VIDEO_TS
-------- AUDIO_TS

- Adventure

--- The Da Vinci Code
-------- BDMV
-------- CERTIFICATE

--- The Lord of the Rings
-------- Fellowship of the Ring
------------- BDMV
------------- CERTIFICATE
-------- The Two Towers
------------- BDMV
-------- Return of the King
------------- BDMV

I break on Kids and Non-Kids followed by just the title and year.

I let Mediabrowser sort that. When you include the ratings in the metadata, Mediabrowser can lock out whatever ratings you like, for example, PG-13 and up.

On the main media center, Mediabrowser ask for a password to get into PG-13 and up movies. On the children's computer, Mediabrowser completely locks them out of them.

This is how I have mine set up. I'm going to check out Plex.

Movies
-- Title (Year)

TV Shows
-- Title
----- Season 01
--------- Episode 01

Same exact way I have my set up as well.

I'm also in the process of re-ripping all of my music. I had MOST of it done years ago, but it was all with either iTunes, or some garbage freeware mp3 ripper, and the quality just as good as I would like. Right now, I am using Winamp with an addon for Ogg Vorbis Encoder x1.1.0, quality set to 10.00. Not really worried about filesize, as I am ripping them directly from my laptop to my DNS 323 NAS, which has 4 TB in it.

This is my current setup. I might think about revamping the Pictures. I tried to do nested folders so that there aren't just 8 million folders right under Pictures, but groups of subfolders. Ok, maybe not 8 million..... 65.7 Gigs, 22,106 Files, 211 Folders.

Ex:
Pictures
--People
----Friends
------Jimbob
--------files
----Smith Family
------Johns birthday 2010
--------files
--Sporting Events
----Event info
------files
--Trips
----Brookfield Zoo
------Brookfield Zoo 01/02/2013
--------filename

Media structure
Media
--Music
----<Artist> - <Album>
------<Trackartist> - ## - <Title>
--Pictures
----(sub folders based on different people, places, events, etc. etc.)
--Videos
----Movies
------movie titles
----TV Shows
------show name
--------show name season xx
----------show name - SxxExx - episode title

No idea what Plex is, but I am def going to be looking it up. I would love to re-rip my DVD library to have something like a Kaleidescape. Those things look really great, but I can't even come CLOSE to affording one.

I keep it simple, every HD movie like Blu-ray or HD-DVD in drive:\media\movies\HD, every SD movie from DVD, etc. in drive:\media\movies\SD. All in .MKV format spread over 3 HDDs (with a backup drive for each, so 6 total HDDs), put into two libraries, HD and SD. Only got about 135 movies though, but I store them with no down sampling, so some of those blu-rays are 40GBs+. I watch them by double clicking and launching in MPC-HC64, no WMC (it's not out for Win 8 yet any way), and I really only watch movies when I'm at my computer any way (TV is mounted on wall above my computer screen.)

I used the tried and true method:

Movies:

Movie A (Year)
Movie Trilogy
***Movie 1 (Year)
***Movie 2 (Year)
***Movie 3 (Year)
Movie B (Year)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TV Shows:

Show A
*** Season 1
*** Season 2
Show B
*** Season 1
*** Season 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Music:

Artist A
*** Album 1 (Year)
*** Album 2 (Year)
Artist B
*** Album 1 (Year)
*** Album 2 (Year)

Last edited:
Great thread! Anyone have any suggestions on folder structure for ebooks? I attempted to let Calibre chew through, but we are talking >1TB of semi-organized shiz.

Movies:
Title (year)

TV Shows:
TV Show Title
***TV Show Title Season 1
***TV Show Title Season 2

Music:
***Artist
***Artist Album

Movies
-- Title (Year)

TV Shows
-- Title
----- Season 01
--------- Episode 01

This ^^ and Plex handles the rest. Works very well.

+1 Plex makes organizing your library easy. No need to use folders for things like Genre, especially when lots of movies fall into multiple genres. Something can be an Action/Comedy, or Drama/Thriller, or Sci-fi/Comedy, and so on.

Plex will pull all the meta data for each movie and categorize everything for you.

I think I have around 1200 movies and they are in two directories.

/MOVIES A - R
/MOVIES S - Z

edit
What's plex? Off to google, by back in a giffy.

I think I have around 1200 movies and they are in two directories.

/MOVIES A - R
/MOVIES S - Z

edit
What's plex? Off to google, by back in a giffy.

Plex is kinda like a Netflix interface for your personal media. It does Youtube and other channels as well (South Park channel, Stephen Colbert). I use it ever since using a Roku box. Highly recommended. If you download a movie on your laptop then u just stream it to Plex and your tv, it doesn't take a powerful CPU imo either. If I miss a sports event or whatever on tv I download an HD version and send it through laptop to Plex/TV;).:D

Movies
-- Title (Year)

TV Shows
-- Title
----- Season 01
--------- Episode 01

That is what I use as well. 5 2TB local disks (XBMC) that sync to a Synology 1812+ where I run Plex to stream to a smart LG TV in my gym and to my mobile devices over the internets. Works great.

Once I get Cat 5 wired I'll probably put the 5 local disks into a FreeNAS box, use the 1812+ as the main and the new FreeNAS as the backup. Running local disk is a bit silly if you have a NAS/SAN.

What I use.....

HDD 1 has 1 folder titled.......MOVIES A thru E

inside that folder all movies are in seperate folders......The Abyss (folder name)

Inside that folder is....

The Abyss.mkv
folder.jpg (The Movie poster)
fanart.jpg (nice background/scene from the movie)
NFO file for the movie info

I use XBMC

What I use.....

HDD 1 has 1 folder titled.......MOVIES A thru E

inside that folder all movies are in seperate folders......The Abyss (folder name)

Inside that folder is....

The Abyss.mkv
folder.jpg (The Movie poster)
fanart.jpg (nice background/scene from the movie)
NFO file for the movie info

I use XBMC

While that might work for a while, what happens when HDD1 [Movies A through E] becomes full, and you have more movies within A to E to add? Do you reorganize the HDD [eg: Shortening to A through C], do you just replace the entire HDD with a bigger one?

This is why I prefer a system that uses pooled/spanned drives. That way, your "movies" drive is as big as it needs to be, and the back-end system handles all the tedious stuff like rearranging the media on each specific HDD.

Back