Media Center Front End for WHS?

sdotbrucato

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I've been trying to simplify the electronics rack in the living room, and simply the network while I'm at it.

I've played with WHS, and loved it. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a way to install Media Center on it, or if there is a third-party offering that is on par with Media Center?

I'd like to have the media server, serving double duty as the HTPC.

Is what I'm asking too loft of a goal? Am I stuck with two boxes?

i ran gbpvr on my whs to record shows. I didnt watch them through the tv with the whs though. It should work though.

My only caution is WHS is really lacking in the horsepower department. It's good for storing files and backing up your PCs, but for streaming media... it severely lacks.

My only caution is WHS is really lacking in the horsepower department. It's good for storing files and backing up your PCs, but for streaming media... it severely lacks.

I stream HD movies from my WHS machine to my HTPC without issue. Been doing it for 2 years now. Using a P4 2.4ghz, 2gb DDR2, Asus P4C800-E deluxe, voodoo 3, Intel 1000 GT.

Last edited:
He's probably talking about the OEM units, like the HP's, that have pretty low end processors.

I built mine from used parts and it runs a P4 2.56Mhz and an Intel Pro/1000 card. It streams just dandy.

I just wish there was a way to stream converted DVD's with full 5.1 sound intact. I've got 5.5TB worth of drives in it now so I've got the storage space :)

My only caution is WHS is really lacking in the horsepower department. It's good for storing files and backing up your PCs, but for streaming media... it severely lacks

Streaming media uses almost nothing regarding cpu usage, so this definitely isnt the fault. I've used lower spec CPU's than what the OEM's had and still had less than 10% cpu whilst sending 1080p over the network.

I thought the memory upgrade in those HP units solved some of the sluggish streaming problems?
I did upgrade it. But the problem is you've only got one slot. It made it more usable as a file server and backup server, but gosh I sure wouldn't want to try streaming media from it, at least not directly anyway (buffering it through a second machine would be fine).

Back