Mechanical Keyboard Guide

I knew of the issue so when I received it, I plugged it in and kept it in for months. I unplug it once to clean it, and then another time. It broke the third time when I tried to plug it back in.
After three disconnects it didn't last long.

The glue method didn't work so I went with a strip of duck tape. It doesn't lay flush to the plate, but slightly pushing down when plugging in the USB is easy enough:

JGqcOZol.jpg

Thanks for the info. That's a shame. They are solid keyboards otherwise; too bad Rosewill chose to skimp in that one area that basically renders the keyboard useless when it eventually fails (and in your case, way sooner than it should). Some industrious people like yourself can repair it, but you shouldn't have to.

Topre would be the closest in terms of feel, but you're looking at $$$.

I'd say Reds with o-rings would be fairly close and it would definitely outlast several membrane boards.

Not looking into keyboards for over 10 years, I finally did more research. Yep, it appears I want a Topre based board. Sounds perfect. The one I want is this one, but I don't know if "no stock" means they've been out for a week or a year. It says Limited Edition. Anyone know?

And regarding the money...yeah, for a keyboard it might be expensive, but not when you consider how long it lasts. People drop far more money on a smartphone with a $30/month data plan, then replace it every 2 years! ;)

Not looking into keyboards for over 10 years, I finally did more research. Yep, it appears I want a Topre based board. Sounds perfect. The one I want is this one, but I don't know if "no stock" means they've been out for a week or a year. It says Limited Edition. Anyone know?

And regarding the money...yeah, for a keyboard it might be expensive, but not when you consider how long it lasts. People drop far more money on a smartphone with a $30/month data plan, then replace it every 2 years! ;)

It's hard to say with Elitekeyboards, they don't seem to be very friendly with people outside of their "circle" from what I've seen/heard; if you can find it through another means I would suggest doing that, but the only other one that really comes to mind is through Taobao via an agent (there are a few that regularly deal with keyboard geeks over at geekhack and deskthority that would probably be happy to help you out).

It's amazing that a lot of the keyboards and accessories started off as ideas in the forums, and now they are being mass produced.
MX testers were made by forums members and shared first.

Last edited:
What is Massdrop? I'd love to get that QWERkeys sampler, but I hate joining things that send me spam.

What is Massdrop? I'd love to get that QWERkeys sampler, but I hate joining things that send me spam.

It's a group buy site. The more people who commit to buying a featured item, the lower the price gets. Massdrop is legit. I do get emails from them letting me know when a new item drops, but they're not spammy and you can probably unsubscribe from them if you don't care about future products.

It's a group buy site. The more people who commit to buying a featured item, the lower the price gets. Massdrop is legit. I do get emails from them letting me know when a new item drops, but they're not spammy and you can probably unsubscribe from them if you don't care about future products.

OK, I will do it then. Thanks.

Would be more awesome if companies shipped an MX clear or green option. They are hard as fuck to find lately. Still waiting on CODE keyboards to come back.

Cooler Master sells a few keyboards with MX Greens. Keyboards with MX Clears are more rare since they seem to sell out so quickly, but you could always mod a board to have them if you have soldering tools and know how to do so. Otherwise, you could find someone to do the work for you.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I bought the Ducky 9087G2 Pro TKL. Nice keyboard but sometimes when I start the computer the KB isnt recognized. Sometimes I have to unplug it then plug it back in. I think I'm going to send it back. Thinking about the Cooler master TKL with reds.

Cooler Master sells a few keyboards with MX Greens. Keyboards with MX Clears are more rare since they seem to sell out so quickly, but you could always mod a board to have them if you have soldering tools and know how to do so. Otherwise, you could find someone to do the work for you.

I've never liked Cooler Masters products, but I do know where to get greens at. Clears/Whites (same shit) are just more of a pain. I don't think it's worth soldering one, IMHO.

I wanted to buy the CODE keyboard from WASD because Browns are too light and Clears sounded perfect. I can either keep them stock, or replace the springs to make them slightly lighter (but still more firm than Browns). Unfortunately that CODE keyboard in Clears may not be available again for up to a year!!

I did find a guy on Geekhack.org though who can sell a Keycool keyboard with Clears. It ships from China (AND with PBT caps!), so if you are interested join that forum.

The nice thing about a keyboard that comes with Cherry Clears stock is, you can try them as-is, or modify the springs later. No need to do major surgery on the keyboard.

I've never liked Cooler Masters products, but I do know where to get greens at. Clears/Whites (same shit) are just more of a pain. I don't think it's worth soldering one, IMHO.

I'd say its worth modding and soldering a board to have Clears, but it all depends how much you enjoy the switch. After buying a Ducky Shine 2 w/ Clears and trying them out for the first time, I absolutely loved the switch and no other switch I've used previously or afterwards has come close.

I recently got a DK9087 G2 Pro blues with some PBT keycaps. I have to say that it feels pretty crappy compared to my previous keyboards (rosewill blues, cm quickfire rapid blues, and wasd browns).

The typing experience feels different--worse. Not sure if it's the keycaps or because if the different stabilizers on the shifts,space,etc. The shift keys often seem to "stick" too.

I like the feeling of the PBT keycaps though so I've got to try switching them onto one of my other keyboards to see.

Just wondering if this is normal or just a preference thing? Or maybe it just needs time to be "broken in"...?

Back