Mechanical Keyboard Guide

I finally ordered my Ducky Shine 3! Should arrive tomorrow; MX Blues with red backlight.

Went with the same setup. I've owned filco with browns and a wasd with blues. I like the blues a lot but I wanted a mechanical with blues for work so that puts my keyboard count to three :)

Received my shine 3 with blues and really like it. I am a little disappointed that I didn't see the option for mxgreens... That would be interesting...

Received my shine 3 with blues and really like it. I am a little disappointed that I didn't see the option for mxgreens... That would be interesting...

I don't know if I want that. I've got the Ducky Shine Zero and the keys feel a lot more stiff than say my Coolermaster or Das Keyboards with Cherry MX Blues. I'm not sure why this is the case, but whatever the reason for it I'm afraid it could make the greens unpleasant.

I don't know if I want that. I've got the Ducky Shine Zero and the keys feel a lot more stiff than say my Coolermaster or Das Keyboards with Cherry MX Blues. I'm not sure why this is the case, but whatever the reason for it I'm afraid it could make the greens unpleasant.

It's because of Cherry Corp.'s acceptable spring tolerances being +/-5g from advertized, not every batch of switches is going to always feel the same. Iirc, stock lube application can make a noticeable difference in perceived weight differences as well; I don't remember if Cherry Corp. does it (optionally) in-house or the keyboard manufacturers them selves are the ones that have the option.

It's because of Cherry Corp.'s acceptable spring tolerances being +/-5g from advertized, not every batch of switches is going to always feel the same. Iirc, stock lube application can make a noticeable difference as well; I don't remember if Cherry Corp. does it (optionally) in-house or the keyboard manufacturers them selves are the ones that have the option.

Well my Das Keyboard has by far the lightest key feel of all of my MX Blue based keyboards. The Coolermaster's are only slightly lighter than the Ducky. If I switch between them I can actually tell enough of a difference that I think I could tell blind folded. So that much difference in spring tolerance surprises me.

Well my Das Keyboard has by far the lightest key feel of all of my MX Blue based keyboards. The Coolermaster's are only slightly lighter than the Ducky. If I switch between them I can actually tell enough of a difference that I think I could tell blind folded. So that much difference in spring tolerance surprises me.

Up to 10g difference is indeed noticeable, even 5g (the weight of the standard modern US nickle) isn't something that's likely to get by most people's perception in this instance; you couple that with changes in lube and application or lack of, and there is going to be noticeable differences.

The great thing about Cherry MX switches is that they're easy to modify, so you can tailor them to your preferences if you wish to take the time to do so.

I have the Rosewill RK9000 with blue cherry mx switches. It's fantastic for the price, very sturdy and well built.

K95 for 125 or Ducky Shine for 115? I am so torn.

That depends. Do you need the gaming features of the K95 (extra programmable keys, onboard memory, etc.)? If you do, the choice is obvious between those two.

Do you want your choice of Cherry switches? If so, the Ducky is the way to go since I believe the K95 only comes with Reds.

My choice would be the Ducky. I'm typing on one now and it's awesome. I used to like gamer-oriented accessories like the K95 but I'm kinda over that stuff now.

Also just curious how you narrowed it down to those two keyboards. If you're considering the K95, what about the Logitech G710+ or the Razer BlackWidow?

That depends. Do you need the gaming features of the K95 (extra programmable keys, onboard memory, etc.)? If you do, the choice is obvious between those two.

Do you want your choice of Cherry switches? If so, the Ducky is the way to go since I believe the K95 only comes with Reds.

My choice would be the Ducky. I'm typing on one now and it's awesome. I used to like gamer-oriented accessories like the K95 but I'm kinda over that stuff now.

Also just curious how you narrowed it down to those two keyboards. If you're considering the K95, what about the Logitech G710+ or the Razer BlackWidow?

The Razer is a piece of junk. The keycaps are badly made and they've got tons of firmware and software issues.

The Razer is a piece of junk. The keycaps are badly made and they've got tons of firmware and software issues.

Agreed. I would never buy it. In fact, it's doubtful that I will buy any Razer product again even though I do like a couple of their mice (the Deathadder was good, for example). I just thought I'd throw it in with the mix of gaming mechanical keyboards that have those extra features, but there's no question that I'd buy the Logitech or Corsair if that's what I was in the market for.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Ducky Shine III which is why they are one of my top contenders.

The black widow ultimate is on sale for 99.99 but I have heard that blue switches are not the gaming oriented switches.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Ducky Shine III which is why they are one of my top contenders.

The positive comments are definitely earned and justified, but Ducky isn't the only company that makes high-quality mechanical keyboards. Like I said, if you think you'd use the extra features on the K95 and are fine with Red switches then it would be a fine choice. Corsair makes good boards. But unless you can find it on sale, the K95 at $150 is one of the most expensive mechanical boards so make sure you'll use its extra features. The Shine III is normally around $150, but they are on sale at NCIX for a couple more days. $115 is a heck of a deal for a backlit keyboard of this quality. And don't rule out Cooler Master and Max Keyboards in addition to the ones we've talked about so far.

The black widow ultimate is on sale for 99.99 but I have heard that blue switches are not the gaming oriented switches.

The Blue switches are fine, albeit loud. They feel superb when typing and I've gamed on them before. But the problem with the BWU isn't really the Blue keys, it's the typical Razer crappy build quality. You're far more likely to have issues if you go with that one.

Technically none of the switches were designed expressly for gaming. These switches are decades old and were used in POS system and other devices where reliability was a must. They have more than double the lifespan of traditional membrane keyboards and they don't really feel different over time like membranes do. In any case the MX Blues are fine for gaming. You have to learn to ignore the click, or learn to love the click. Either way it's something a lot of people can't get over. I type more than I game even though I game a lot. Therefore the MX Blues made sense to me as I like the feel of them above all the other choices.

Cherry MX Reds are honestly too soft for me. I also miss the tactile bump / click in them. I had a keyboard with Cherry MX Blacks and that was nicer than a membrane keyboard, but still not quite what I would want on a daily basis.

Technically the things that make a gaming keyboard a gaming keyboard have almost nothing to do with the switches. The keyboard makers often market Reds / Blacks to gamers because they are quieter than the other switch choices and for no other reason.

My dream keyboard would be a refresh of Unicomps products.

Something modern looking with game features on it as well as maybe some sort of back lighting, reeingineered for NKRO, all while maintaining the fabulous buckling spring witches and keycaps.

I'd pay as much as $200 for something like this...

THIS!

I want a set of mx greens on a keyboard that also has a wrist rest and some halfway decent backlighting. Apparently that's asking too much.

Here are some options. (Well, I guess technically one option with backlighting)

Can always get your own wrist rest; the ones included with keyboards usually suck anyway in my experience.

Looks like they are available, and not that outrageous. According to geekhack, there is a no-name brand one for $15 on ebay, with Cherry blacks. Goldforce numeric keypad on amazon is $25 (MX browns). That's cheap enough: the problem would be getting a few samples of every switch type to put together. Does anyone around here have some spare switches they'd be willing to donate?

Looks like both geekhack and deskthority have made a similar construct in the past, a "cherry MX key sampler"

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?19687-Cherry-Numpad-Switch-Tester

http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=780

But I think this would be cool to have on [H]

U-U-U-Ultimate necro :D

So yeah, two years ago I thought about making a Cherry MX sampler board so [H]'ers could test out what each different switch felt like. I bought a USB numpad with Cherry blues from amazon, and went about looking for switch samples. Some kind folks on geekhack mailed me some switches but with international mail it took many weeks for them to arrive. And I never was able to source Cherry MX clears. Then I got busy finishing my thesis, getting a job, and moving across the country. However I never forgot about the sampler board project...

Two years later I happened to be back on the WASD keyboards website and saw that you can order Cherry clear switches in singles. At last! The final piece of the puzzle.

Would there still be any interest in getting a sampler board to pass around the [H] forums? I spent some time this afternoon swapping stems and springs on the number pad I bought and have it all completed, except for the Cherry MX Clear switches that I need to order from WASD. While I am at it I will order a set of custom colored keycaps to identify the different key types. The final board will have 4 reds, 4 blacks, 4 blues, 4 browns, 4 clears, and 2 "ghetto greens" (blue switch with black spring, which I believe is what a Cherry Green switch is).

If people would still find this thing useful, I will go ahead and order the last switches from WASD and finish the sampler board. How do you think it would be best to proceed with the logistics of having the sampler mailed around to forum members? I was thinking we make some kind of train list, so each person can mail it to the next person in the train and so-on. What do you think? Better late than never? :)

Ruahrc

U-U-U-Ultimate necro :D

So yeah, two years ago I thought about making a Cherry MX sampler board so [H]'ers could test out what each different switch felt like. I bought a USB numpad with Cherry blues from amazon, and went about looking for switch samples. Some kind folks on geekhack mailed me some switches but with international mail it took many weeks for them to arrive. And I never was able to source Cherry MX clears. Then I got busy finishing my thesis, getting a job, and moving across the country. However I never forgot about the sampler board project...

Two years later I happened to be back on the WASD keyboards website and saw that you can order Cherry clear switches in singles. At last! The final piece of the puzzle.

Would there still be any interest in getting a sampler board to pass around the [H] forums? I spent some time this afternoon swapping stems and springs on the number pad I bought and have it all completed, except for the Cherry MX Clear switches that I need to order from WASD. While I am at it I will order a set of custom colored keycaps to identify the different key types. The final board will have 4 reds, 4 blacks, 4 blues, 4 browns, 4 clears, and 2 "ghetto greens" (blue switch with black spring, which I believe is what a Cherry Green switch is).

If people would still find this thing useful, I will go ahead and order the last switches from WASD and finish the sampler board. How do you think it would be best to proceed with the logistics of having the sampler mailed around to forum members? I was thinking we make some kind of train list, so each person can mail it to the next person in the train and so-on. What do you think? Better late than never? :)

Ruahrc

Haha, awesome stuff. Great idea and good on ya; I don't need it myself, but it'd be a great resource for those serious, but undecided members wanting to get into Cherry MX.

Well I went ahead and ordered the clear MX switches, and they came in the mail today. Due to some ordering requirements from WASD keyboards I did not get the colored keycaps (basically to just get a numpad's worth of colored keycaps in a scheme of your choosing, you have to buy them individually- which would have pretty much doubled the cost of the whole thing... I did not find it worth it), but otherwise the sampler board is now complete and functional :). It features reds, blacks, clears, browns, blues, and "ghetto greens".

Should I start a new thread to see if anyone wants to try the different keys out, or just coordinate everything in here?

Ruahrc

I picked up a Ducky red switch keyboard and the only LEDs are the num lock, scroll lock and caps lock, which is what I wanted. However, they are very very bright. It's visually annoying to see them lit. Is there a way to replace the lights in them with something dimmer?

I picked up a Ducky red switch keyboard and the only LEDs are the num lock, scroll lock and caps lock, which is what I wanted. However, they are very very bright. It's visually annoying to see them lit. Is there a way to replace the lights in them with something dimmer?

There is, but it requires a bit more work than you may be willing to do (possibly some SMD soldering if you need to replace any diodes, which can be tricky). An easier method may be to scuff the currently installed LEDs and use a marker with alcohol based ink (incase you change your mind); people were doing this with clear LEDs to be able to change the colors as they pleased.

There is, but it requires a bit more work than you may be willing to do (possibly some SMD soldering if you need to replace any diodes, which can be tricky). An easier method may be to scuff the currently installed LEDs and use a marker with alcohol based ink (incase you change your mind); people were doing this with clear LEDs to be able to change the colors as they pleased.

I like that idea more...although now that I've played with my Ducky keyboard a bit I might just return it. The function keys do not work through my USB KVM, while I own two other keyboards that do not have this problem. Perhaps a different red-switch keyboard would be better.

I'm looking for a keyboard with cherry mx black's. I want backlit and I'd prefer some level of customization. I'm currently debating the new roccat pro as it is so damn shiny.

EDIT: If it came with o-rings preinstalled that would be awesome otherwise I'll just put em on myself.

Has anyone gone from Cherry MX Black to Cherry MX Red?

I just bought a black and it's a bit stiff for my taste (mostly FPS and typing). If it was a tad looser I'd be okay with it.

Originally I was considering the Brown as well, but I don't think I fancy the tactile feedback for FPSers.

I don't like the reds because I frequently bottom out on them. If all you want is a loser switch then a black definitely check out a red.

You can also buy a tranluscent tape and put it over or under the LEDs to dim them. There is even some guy who has made a little business out of it. I think they are called light dims.

What is the switch type closest to the regular OEM membrane keyboards? I actually like the feel, quietness and softness of the cheap keyboards when brand new, but certainly want something to last a bit longer. Anyone measure the pressure needed on a typical HP or Gateway keyboard key press?

What is the switch type closest to the regular OEM membrane keyboards? I actually like the feel, quietness and softness of the cheap keyboards when brand new, but certainly want something to last a bit longer. Anyone measure the pressure needed on a typical HP or Gateway keyboard key press?

If you're looking into Cherry MX, probably modified Clears stems with Red or custom springs and soft o-ring mods (orthodontic bands work great for cheap).

I'm not really familiar with other switch types to be able to recommend others with a remotely similar feel.

Topre would be the closest in terms of feel, but you're looking at $$$.

I'd say Reds with o-rings would be fairly close and it would definitely outlast several membrane boards.

would spending a little more on a nice membrane keyboard help? Corsair now makes the k30 and k50. Maybe they would last longer?

My mini usb port on the Rosewill Reds KB broke. Have it take it part now to see if I can save it.
Its been sitting in my closet for a few weeks. Hopefully its not serious.

Here's the photo, you can see the bent USB port by the green PCB. Going to use the blue glue gun in photo to repair it.

oXIJqTJl.jpg

Last edited:
My mini usb port on the Rosewill Reds KB broke. Have it take it part now to see if I can save it.

Just curious since that seems to be a common complaint on those...do you move your keyboard around a lot and/or unplug it at that connection very often? Or did it just...happen?

Back