Mechanical Keyboard Guide

Those use Topre capacitive switches. No thanks. The idea that there is advantages to membrane keyboard switch types (beyond their low price) and that those advantages are worth combining with traditional mechanical switches for an even better switch at twice the price is ludicrous. I'm not opposed to trying one if someone else buys one but I can't see spending the money on one just to try it.

I'll stick with my Cherry MX or even Alps switches.

You should really try one with Topre capacitive switches if you have the chance, but preferably on a Realforce keyboard since they feel somewhat more “substantial” than on the HHKB Pro 2(no offense to fans of the HHKB Pro 2). ;)

I've used an IBM buckling spring keyboard, a Das Keyboard Model S Professional (Cherry MX-Blue) and Das Keyboard Model S Professional Slient (Cherry MX-Brown), and a TT Meka G1 (Cherry MX-Black), and I would put the Topre above them all.

You should really try one with Topre capacitive switches if you have the chance, but preferably on a Realforce keyboard since they feel somewhat more “substantial” than on the HHKB Pro 2(no offense to fans of the HHKB Pro 2). ;)

I've used an IBM buckling spring keyboard, a Das Keyboard Model S Professional (Cherry MX-Blue) and Das Keyboard Model S Professional Slient (Cherry MX-Brown), and a TT Meka G1 (Cherry MX-Black), and I would put the Topre above them all.

As I've said, I do want to try one. But not on my dime. If someone else I know ever gets one (extremely unlikely) then I'll try it. If I was 100% certain I'd like it then I'd grab it without hesitation. The problem is that membrane keyboards suck. Mechanicals rule. Combining the two? Doesn't make sense to me. I can't get over that seemingly flawed concept enough to spend the cash to test that theory.

As I've said, I do want to try one. But not on my dime. If someone else I know ever gets one (extremely unlikely) then I'll try it. If I was 100% certain I'd like it then I'd grab it without hesitation. The problem is that membrane keyboards suck. Mechanicals rule. Combining the two? Doesn't make sense to me. I can't get over that seemingly flawed concept enough to spend the cash to test that theory.

If you are ever in Quebec city let me know, I'll let you try a few Realforce! ;) I was quite skeptical at first, but they really are something. But I guess it's subjective.

Wow! I did not know that there was a Quebec City in Texas! No, sadly, Quebec City in Quebec, Canada. I'm sure you could find someone closer to Texas! :D

We've got all kinds of fancy cities in Texas..........

Athens
Palestine
Paris
Quebec
Beverly Hills
Carthage
Cleveland
Colorado
Denver
Detroit
Dublin
Eldorado
Italy
Miami
Moscow
Princeton
Reno

Just to name a few. :cool:

Anyone knows where i could get similar key caps as those from the Filco Ninja keyboard (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61z32qJMS4L._AA1200_.jpg)? I find the side lettering a brilliant idea and i don't know why no one has thought of this before.

Check Geekhack.com
http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?59-classifieds

I just ordered a KBC Poker imported from China. This guy can get anything, and I mean anything KB related:
http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?81-Elite-e-sports-gaming-equipment

I'm trying to decide on a mechanical keyboard. At the moment I'm looking at the DAS S pro which I can get with the cherry blues or browns & the ThermalTake Meka G1 which only comes with the cherry blacks.

The Tt has multimedia keys & audio ports, the Das doesn't. I have also heard that the Tt space bar nicely registers & doesn't lean which pressed on the sides.

I'm not real sure about cherry blues, browns or blacks. I was leaning toward the DAS just to get the browns but IDK cause I've never used a mechanical. Are switch types really that different? I've only read about them & have never felt them. I understand that the blues have tactial feel with the click & browns have the tactial without click & blacks just bottom out.

I like the no frills look of the DAS.
I'm currently using a Saitek keyboard but it's old & wearing down. I'll mainly want the mechanical for gaming & some typing.

If I go with the DAS then I'll have to decide on the lettered or blacked out keys. But thats a different story :)

Can you help me decide?

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-M...THE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313554455&sr=8-1
I'm open to other suggestions as well as long as it isn't a Ducky :)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm trying to decide on a mechanical keyboard. At the moment I'm looking at the DAS S pro which I can get with the cherry blues or browns & the ThermalTake Meka G1 which only comes with the cherry blacks.

The Tt has multimedia keys & audio ports, the Das doesn't. I have also heard that the Tt space bar nicely registers & doesn't lean which pressed on the sides.

I'm not real sure about cherry blues, browns or blacks. I was leaning toward the DAS just to get the browns but IDK cause I've never used a mechanical. Are switch types really that different? I've only read about them & have never felt them. I understand that the blues have tactial feel with the click & browns have the tactial without click & blacks just bottom out.

Can you help me decide?

I don't like media keys. I may be in the minority on that. As for the feel of the switches, these questions have been answered many times. You really do need to feel them and decide what you like best. Blacks are linear, non-tactile. The only noise they make is the bottoming out if pressed all the way down. Blues are tactile and clicky. The click occurs about mid key press. The browns are the same as the blues except they don't click so much as feel like a bump.

I'm currently using a Saitek keyboard but it's old & wearing down. I'll mainly want the mechanical for gaming & some typing.

If I go with the DAS then I'll have to decide on the lettered or blacked out keys. But thats a different story :)

Can you help me decide?

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-M...THE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313554455&sr=8-1

I would get the Das. I really don't like media keys. I write and use my own scripts using AutoHotKey even when I had a keyboard with media keys. I don't have to move my fingers that way, can fine tune the volume graduation to my liking, can adjust mute, bass, treble with my mouse wheel.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm still deciding on whats going to replace my trusty Model M.

I still feel the buckling spring switches of the Model M's have the PERFECT feel, but my only options here are the unicomp customizers, and they are just so damned ugly.

I want
  • Tactile clicky keys. (absolute must)
  • Black keybaord and keys (absolute must)
  • Modern non-square design (strong preference)
  • Backlit, blue or green LED's (absolutely not yellow or red) (strong preference)
  • double shot keys so printed letters or paint covering LED light don't wear off.

I was looking at an XArmor U9BL but I heard they have poor feel and the black on the keys is simply paint on clear keys, which wears off, exposing LED light.

I also looked at the Razer Blackwidow, but there it was suggested that they keys are large, weird and off center, and despite their good switches don't feel right. I'm also concerned that since the Blackwidow is "gaming optimized" around the WASD keys it may not work for me. I use a very different keyboard setup (arrow keys and other keys around them, similar to the original default Doom II keyboard configuration) and I am concerned that the WASD optimization will make it not suitable for my needs...

So based on this, does anyone have any suggestions?

I was in a similar situation recently. Been using an Eclipse II keyboard for many years, wanted something different.

After looking at the characteristics of the different Cherry switches, I decided Browns appeared best for me.

But after looking at many keyboards I ended up buying the Thermaltake Meka G1 because of the extras like USB ports, audio ports, media keys, and wrist rest. And the price was pretty good too. And I thought I might be okay with Black switches.

The Thermaltake Meka G1 seems like a nice keyboard, but I had a couple complaints. First the audio ports sound really bad, there is a lot of hissing when plugging my headset into these ports that I don't get when plugging directly into the computer. But the bigger complaint was the resistance of the Black switches. Takes more effort to push down the keys and this caused fatigue when typing a lot for a while.

So I think my initial feeling that Browns would be the better choice for me was correct after all.

I ordered a Filco Majestictouch 2 Tenkeyless with Brown switches. This has absolutely no extras at all. But I do like not having the Number pad because I don't use that anyway and it gives me more room for my mouse and Nostromo n52te game pad on either side of the keyboard. I didn't have much problem giving up USB and audio ports. No media keys kinda stings, but I'll live. I was probably mostly worried about no wrist rest, been using an attached wrist rest forever. But I seem to be adjusting to that pretty well so far.

Most importantly I like typing on these browns more than the blacks. Less resistance, it's not as quiet as the black keyboard though, but isn't too loud either.

I have both keyboards at the moment, but will most likely be returning the Thermaltake Meka G1 soon.

Another thing I like about the Filco Tenkeyless is it's small enough for me to stick in my backpack and take to work. Eventually I may buy another keyboard for work, but for now I may just use this same keyboard at work and home.

The Razer Black Widow and the XArmor use shitty key caps and feel terrible. The only company that produces a worth while back lit mechanical keyboard is Deck. The problem is you can only choose between Cherry MX Black and Cherry MX Clear switches. The Cherry MX Blues are probably what you want as you are used to the IBM buckling spring switch which is what the Cherry MX Blues feel the most like.

Recommended Keyboards:
  • Das Keyboard (Available in Cherry MX Blue, Brown)
  • Deck (Available in Cherry MX Black, Clear)
  • Filco Majestouch (Available in Cherry MX Blue, Brown, Clear, Reds, Blacks)
  • Leupold (Available in Cherry MX Blue and Brown)
  • Topre Realforce (Uses Topre's capacitive switches)
  • Happy Hacking (Uses Topre's capacitive switches)

Mid-Range / Mediocre Mechanicals:
  • SIG Mechanical (Uses some type of Alps switch)
  • Steelseries 7G (Uses Cherry MX Blacks. I believe there is a Cherry MX Brown version as well.)

Bottom of the Barrel Mechanicals:
  • Razer Black Window Professional, Ultimate (Uses Cherry MX Blues)
  • XArmor (Uses Cherry MX Blues)
  • Thermaltake KB-MEK007US Meka (Uses Cherry MX Blues)

I know nothing or next to nothing about the KBC Poker keyboards, Noppoo Choco, or Ducky keyboards. Also I believe a new company, "Qwerty Keyboards" just popped up recently. I've not seen any examples of their hardware either.

The Razer Black Widow and the XArmor use shitty key caps and feel terrible. The only company that produces a worth while back lit mechanical keyboard is Deck. The problem is you can only choose between Cherry MX Black and Cherry MX Clear switches. The Cherry MX Blues are probably what you want as you are used to the IBM buckling spring switch which is what the Cherry MX Blues feel the most like.

Thank you for that.

When I read Deck's webpage they refer to the MX clears as tactile. How do they compare to the Blues (or even Model M buckling springs)?

Zarathustra[H];1037641672 said:
Thank you for that.

When I read Deck's webpage they refer to the MX clears as tactile. How do they compare to the Blues (or even Model M buckling springs)?

The browns and the clears are the same switch type, they just have different actuation force requirements to depress them. I believe the clears are lighter than the browns in terms of pressing the keys. Like the IBM buckling spring, the Cherry MX Blues have a satisfying click about half way through the key press which signifies you've made the necessary contact and that you do not need to press the key any further. They feel pretty similar, though the IBM buckling spring is I believe a little louder and a little tougher to press than a Cherry MX Blue switch is. The browns and clears have the same mid-point actuation, however instead of a "click" it's a "bump". It makes a lot less noise, but it's not really as satisfying to me. The blacks which are often the choice of gamers have no tactile actuation bump or click. They are simply linear. They only noise they make comes from bottoming out the key. The force required to depress them is technically greater than other Cherry MX switches, but because they've got no tactile feed back, they actually depress a bit easier as the bump or clock generates a slight amout of tactile "feedback." Again that's just how they feel to me. Though you may actually tire of the Cherry MX Blacks faster because they'll pretty much always bottom out which actually feels harder on the finger tips and again they do technically require more force to depress than the other switches do if I remember correctly.

Though nearly any mechanical keyboard beats the crap out of a membrane switch based board. Even the shitty mechanicals do. However, the Razer is full of firmware problems and it doesn't work with most of the boards I test. At least not until you get into Windows with it. Even then it doesn't always work.

I actually own a Das Keyboard Professional, Deck Ice Legend, and Razer Black Widow Professional. They use Cherry MX Blues, Blacks, Blues, respectively.

I have also seen OWL iluminated mechanical keyboard which were very nice to type on them through I'm not sure if you can find them outside of Asia.

I have also seen OWL iluminated mechanical keyboard which were very nice to type on them through I'm not sure if you can find them outside of Asia.

I have no idea. I've never seen them or heard of them. I only have knowledge of what's available in the United States.

The browns and the clears are the same switch type, they just have different actuation force requirements to depress them. I believe the clears are lighter than the browns in terms of pressing the keys. Like the IBM buckling spring, the Cherry MX Blues have a satisfying click about half way through the key press which signifies you've made the necessary contact and that you do not need to press the key any further. They feel pretty similar, though the IBM buckling spring is I believe a little louder and a little tougher to press than a Cherry MX Blue switch is. The browns and clears have the same mid-point actuation, however instead of a "click" it's a "bump". It makes a lot less noise, but it's not really as satisfying to me. The blacks which are often the choice of gamers have no tactile actuation bump or click. They are simply linear. They only noise they make comes from bottoming out the key. The force required to depress them is technically greater than other Cherry MX switches, but because they've got no tactile feed back, they actually depress a bit easier as the bump or clock generates a slight amout of tactile "feedback." Again that's just how they feel to me. Though you may actually tire of the Cherry MX Blacks faster because they'll pretty much always bottom out which actually feels harder on the finger tips and again they do technically require more force to depress than the other switches do if I remember correctly.

Though nearly any mechanical keyboard beats the crap out of a membrane switch based board. Even the shitty mechanicals do. However, the Razer is full of firmware problems and it doesn't work with most of the boards I test. At least not until you get into Windows with it. Even then it doesn't always work.

I actually own a Das Keyboard Professional, Deck Ice Legend, and Razer Black Widow Professional. They use Cherry MX Blues, Blacks, Blues, respectively.

Yeah, the more I read the more I like the Das Keyboard. Too bad they are not illuminated. a Deck with MX blues would be nice too, but I am not sure I like Decks rather odd key artwork.

What baffles me is that the Deck's originally only came with MX Blacks, but they decided to introduce a tactile version, so they wen't with the clears instead of the blues? That makes no sense.

The just announced Mionix Zibal 60 looks pretty nice too, but it's unfortunately got MX blacks instead of MX Blues :(

I'm starting to think maybe I should have two keyboards. One for typing and work an done for games.

What would be really cool is if someone made one of those little gaming keypads like Razer's Nostromo, but with mechanical switches.

I'd get a backlit MX Blue keyboard with good typing feel and then complement it with a MX Black gaming keypad for games.

I was debating between the cherry blue switches of the Filco and the Das S. Das has an education discount which I read was around 25% although maybe it changed. I just sent them an email asking what the discount will be.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1037641919 said:
Yeah, the more I read the more I like the Das Keyboard. Too bad they are not illuminated. a Deck with MX blues would be nice too, but I am not sure I like Decks rather odd key artwork.

What baffles me is that the Deck's originally only came with MX Blacks, but they decided to introduce a tactile version, so they wen't with the clears instead of the blues? That makes no sense.

The Deck units are geared towards gamers. Many gamers do not like Cherry MX Blues because they are noisy. The MX Browns and Clears have tactile feedback, but they aren't noisy because they have no audible click.

Browns aren't bad. I do like my Filco with cherry browns and all but I've been using it for a long time now and I have to bottom out with this keyboard. I had a Cherry G80 with blues that I loved. I didn't need to bottom out with that since the tactile feedback is so good and if you do the pcb mount switches are very forgiving. Once you get used to them MX blues are the shit.

I can game on anything. I really don't see how any one keyswitch is any better than the other for gaming aside from the noise factor. Even buckling springs and MX blues are fine as long as the noise doesn't bother you. If anything rubber domes are the best for gaming.

Browns aren't bad. I do like my Filco with cherry browns and all but I've been using it for a long time now and I have to bottom out with this keyboard. I had a Cherry G80 with blues that I loved. I didn't need to bottom out with that since the tactile feedback is so good and if you do the pcb mount switches are very forgiving. Once you get used to them MX blues are the shit.

I can game on anything. I really don't see how any one keyswitch is any better than the other for gaming aside from the noise factor. Even buckling springs and MX blues are fine as long as the noise doesn't bother you. If anything rubber domes are the best for gaming.

Not really. The Cherry MX Blacks are still better. They make less noise. Many of the cheaper keycaps on membrane keyboards tend to creek. That noise bothers me more than any clicking ever could.

Some googling suggests that a Ducky Shine may be what I am looking for:

1bab99c9a6.jpg

Early samples have all been MX Blacks, but apparently they are working on versions with all of the MXswitch variants, (or at least blue brown and red). Apparently they are slated for October/November 2011 release.

Preview here.

Not sure I like that space bar, but I'm sure it can be replaced (or at the very least popped off, and covered on the inside ) :p

Also,

The keys appear to be coated white abs with laser etching, so these may be susceptible to wearing out like the XArmor UBL9, but that remians to be seen. Apparently Ducky keyboards are pretty well regarded.

I had a Ducky 9008 and it was nice. I would buy another. Aside from a couple of small quirks like the legs it was as good as my filco. I would take a Ducky keyboard over any of these mechanicals made by these gaming oriented companies like X-armor, steelseries, or razer.

I had a Ducky 9008 and it was nice. I would buy another. Aside from a couple of small quirks like the legs it was as good as my filco. I would take a Ducky keyboard over any of these mechanicals made by these gaming oriented companies like X-armor, steelseries, or razer.

That's good information. I've been wondering how the Ducky units would compare to others.

This thread is insane!
as it has taken me a week to read every page in here and those guides on page1. I didn't know jack about mech kb's and now DAMN I NEED ONE!

Is it me or is there no perfect mech keyboard. so many fantastic kb with a detail here or there making me turn my head! I wish Filco made their keycaps out of PBT!

so my official decsion as of now and both on the way!:
Deck ps2 with cherry clears
AND
Realforce 103 variable

I have tested a Deck out and my only thing i may have to get used to is the depth of the keys when pressing them down seems quite far. i wonder if all mech kb are like this??? But one thing for sure the build on the Deck is impressive

The only drawback i have with the realforce kb is that why do they only make it in usb form?
I read this article http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Topre+Realforce+Reference+-+all+things+topre and GOOD LORD i just had to jump off the bridge to see what all the hype about. King of keyboards... .... well i gotta lay my hands on them no doubt!

anyhows, cheers to all the super info here
(no drinking or ho's for me this weekend after this purchase :D)

I got a reply back. Educational discount is 20% off for new keyboards or 15% off for refurbished ones coming to $103 or $89 for Pro with blue keyswitches. You need to attach a scanned picture of your student or faculty ID though.

I got a reply back. Educational discount is 20% off for new keyboards or 15% off for refurbished ones coming to $103 or $89 for Pro with blue keyswitches. You need to attach a scanned picture of your student or faculty ID though.

Thats a killer deal. I've heard noting but good things about the Das.

I was in a similar situation recently. Been using an Eclipse II keyboard for many years, wanted something different.

After looking at the characteristics of the different Cherry switches, I decided Browns appeared best for me.

But after looking at many keyboards I ended up buying the Thermaltake Meka G1 because of the extras like USB ports, audio ports, media keys, and wrist rest. And the price was pretty good too. And I thought I might be okay with Black switches.

The Thermaltake Meka G1 seems like a nice keyboard, but I had a couple complaints. First the audio ports sound really bad, there is a lot of hissing when plugging my headset into these ports that I don't get when plugging directly into the computer. But the bigger complaint was the resistance of the Black switches. Takes more effort to push down the keys and this caused fatigue when typing a lot for a while.

So I think my initial feeling that Browns would be the better choice for me was correct after all.

I ordered a Filco Majestictouch 2 Tenkeyless with Brown switches. This has absolutely no extras at all. But I do like not having the Number pad because I don't use that anyway and it gives me more room for my mouse and Nostromo n52te game pad on either side of the keyboard. I didn't have much problem giving up USB and audio ports. No media keys kinda stings, but I'll live. I was probably mostly worried about no wrist rest, been using an attached wrist rest forever. But I seem to be adjusting to that pretty well so far.

Most importantly I like typing on these browns more than the blacks. Less resistance, it's not as quiet as the black keyboard though, but isn't too loud either.

I have both keyboards at the moment, but will most likely be returning the Thermaltake Meka G1 soon.

Another thing I like about the Filco Tenkeyless is it's small enough for me to stick in my backpack and take to work. Eventually I may buy another keyboard for work, but for now I may just use this same keyboard at work and home.

Thanks for all the info & after doing some more research I think I like the filco better as well.
I want to get the Filco- Ninja-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless with the cherry mx browns but where can I find them? Amazon has the blacks & blues.
Guess I could settle for black or blue.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info & after doing some more research I think I like the filco better as well.
I want to get the Filco- Ninja-Majestouch-2-Tenkeyless with the cherry mx browns but where can I find them? Amazon has the blacks & blues.
Guess I could settle for black or blue.

I wouldn't settle for another type of switch if brown is what you want. I have browns on my Filco and love them.

you could order directly from keyboard co but it might be a little more expensive

http://www.keyboardco.com/

http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_details.asp?PRODUCT=849

or you could wait until keyboard co restocks on amazon. check out this thread, they say they'll be restocked on amazon in a couple weeks

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?20779-Majestouch-2-MX-Browns

Thanks Geoff326 for the links.
I didn't want to wait so I ordered direct. It was about $20 more than what I was going to pay on amazon.
Most I've ever thaought about paying for a keyboard but I think it'll be worth it.

I may have to upgrade my mouse after this :)

Good News Everyone. My KBC Poker has arrived.

This is the new model of the KBC Poker 40% with PBT Key Caps and Red Switches. The typing experience is awesome. It has the linear feel of the black switches but the lightness of the brown switch. This allows me to have an effort free typing experience and linear keys from gaming. The best of both worlds IMO. The keys are very light, so if you fat-finger often, this may not be the board for you. The switches are nice and quiet, and the switches feel like they're floating on air, until you bottom out of course.

It's a compact mech board that is 40% the size of a standard keyboard.

Photos:

1JTbgl.jpg

2bjdYl.jpg

6KmUTl.jpg

Red Switches:

y4dk1l.jpg

The Fn Key enables secondary functions that are normally found on full sized boards:

EBPRnl.jpg

LED Lights for the arrow keys:

Ap8Sdl.jpg

Scale Photos:

f0DItl.jpg

Zgotol.jpg

This is my new favorite board. It's allows me to save more space on my desk and have that compact feel when gaming.
I'm very satisfied with the board. :D:D:D

If you're interested in purchasing one visit the link below, and it will direct you to Qtan, Owner of Elite E-Sports Gaming Equipment.
KBC, Ducky, Noppo Choco's, Filco, HHKB etc. can be purchased through him.

http://geekhack.org/forumdisplay.php?81-Elite-e-sports-gaming-equipment33

Last edited:
The Fn Key enables secondary functions that are normally found on full sized boards:

EBPRnl.jpg

That definitely would not work for me. I use the left and right Ctrl and shift, menu, home, end, and arrow keys all together way too much for many things.

That definitely would not work for me. I use the left and right Ctrl and shift, menu, home, end, and arrow keys all together way too much for many things.

Yeah 10 keyless keyboards won't work for me either. This is why I don't own a Leupold.

There's another set of arrow keys, WASD:

Fn + W, A, S, D - The will allow the use of the keys you mentioned.
I don't use many functions so the layout is fine for me. It also has media keys on the CVBN keys.

BEurbl.jpg

1a06Kl.jpg

There's another set of arrow keys, WASD:

Fn + W, A, S, D - The will allow the use of the keys you mentioned.
I don't use many functions so the layout is fine for me. It also has media keys on the CVBN keys.

BEurbl.jpg

1a06Kl.jpg

Mainly I use the 10-key. I also use the home and end keys quite a bit with Excel. So I prefer a full sized keyboard. I know those keys exist on the tenkeyless versions, but they aren't where I'd like them to be.

Wow that keyboard really is compact! Especially if you put it next to a model m :D

I was gonna say "kinda pink" but it looks like your hand could crush me. Anyway my son said Light Pink is OK on the streets. Bright Pink isn't.
7zDi1l.jpg

Back