ME3 PC to require Origin

People have said the same about Steam for years. Now Steam is considered "acceptable" by the masses. I actually still know people who won't use Steam because of the huge issues that were had when it was first becoming a large digital source.

The only issue I see is that you are missing one of the best FPS games ever made, thus far. BF3 is an excellent game. It is well balanced, and anyone can find a niche that is fun in BF3. If you like to snipe, jet, chopper, tank, infantry only, etc. There are just so many areas that you can concentrate on and have a fun gaming experience in BF3. It is amazing that you can find a role in BF3 that you find entertaining because there are so many roles that work well.

As far as the support, bans, etc. from Origin. Those are very limited issues from what I have seen. I have around 100 friends on Origin and those friends have 1000's. I have yet to have any first or second hand knowledge of Origin "banning" or just plain screwing up someones account. I would say this is internet "scandal" talk that many of you are buying into. Again, the same things were said about Steam and still are by some, the few.

I truly feel sorry for anyone holding out just because of Origin. You are truly wasting no ones time but your own.

I don't get the Steam loyalty outside of people are now butthurt that they don't have the option to keep all of their games in on solution. Did you really expect every other company to lay down and let Valve have the entire PC market? lol

This day was inevitable, and the writing was on the wall years ago. It just took other company's investing the time and money to build an alternative to Steam. And lets get something else straight, while I am an avid Steam user and a Steam user since the beta days one thing is certain.. the launch, the first year of Origin has thus far been 100x better than Steam's launch.

Anyone who was around for the Steam launch will recall all the whiners, the bitter tears etc.. of gamers everwhere upset of the change. Same thing today, so give it a few years and people will normal out and just buy games they want instead of going on over winded rants on internet forums. Lastly, all the old timers who complain about any change in the gaming industry are a dying breed. New generations of young gamers are coming into the market, and these kids just don't give a crap about what some old people are upset about. Time is on their side, not yours and eventually the market will be flooded with this new generation, who mind you will find services like OnLive 100% acceptable... so ... get ready for more change.

There's a storm brewing.

I don't get the Steam loyalty outside of people are now butthurt that they don't have the option to keep all of their games in on solution. Did you really expect every other company to lay down and let Valve have the entire PC market? lol

This day was inevitable, and the writing was on the wall years ago. It just took other company's investing the time and money to build an alternative to Steam. And lets get something else straight, while I am an avid Steam user and a Steam user since the beta days one thing is certain.. the launch, the first year of Origin has thus far been 100x better than Steam's launch.

Anyone who was around for the Steam launch will recall all the whiners, the bitter tears etc.. of gamers everwhere upset of the change. Same thing today, so give it a few years and people will normal out and just buy games they want instead of going on over winded rants on internet forums. Lastly, all the old timers who complain about any change in the gaming industry are a dying breed. New generations of young gamers are coming into the market, and these kids just don't give a crap about what some old people are upset about. Time is on their side, not yours and eventually the market will be flooded with this new generation, who mind you will find services like OnLive 100% acceptable... so ... get ready for more change.

There's a storm brewing.

Great post.

Don't get me wrong. There's a lot of that change that I definitely don't like and am not going to like. I just think some people need to get a little more realistic about some things.

I remember the Steam launch. The deja vu from then to now is unreal in terms some of the same overblown rhetoric and bellyaching. We all saw how that worked out.

And yes, Origin's launch has been WAY better than Steam's launch was which sure, I don't admit that easily but it's true.

I truly feel sorry for anyone holding out just because of Origin. You are truly wasting no ones time but your own.

A loud, vocal minority. It's nonsense in light of the big picture.

Look up BF3's sales and tell me how effective those "boycotts" have been.

People can do what they want to do if it makes them feel better and I respect that but this "We're going to boycott and EA is really going to feel us and give a damn" concept is just past laughable. Get real, folks.

They make more than enough money off of Madden sales to cover up any potential "losses" on an "experiment" like Origin so it's a non-issue right off the bat.

It's not going to fail.

It's THANKS to Valve's success with Steam that we're going to see imitation being the best form of flattery and now the "big boys" are going to take a shot at it.

Look in the mirror, folks!

Ah, the irony.

I have no doubts that Origin is going to be a success for EA. I also think that it will eventually crossover to the console the same way Valve has been doing with Steam (Portal 2.)

Does Origin need some refinements? You bet it does.

Do I think EA deserves a LOT of criticism for things over the years? Hell yes.

So people can go ahead and boycott or buy the dumbed down console version needlessly but it's just a matter of time.

What ironic here is: A lot of these people are these huge digital download zealots. I personally dread and fear a world without physical media but for those of you that want to suck off the Internet's tit for everything...how else do you expect those videogames and other content you want to get to you unless it's via Steams, Origins, and the rest?

But I'm sure I'm overshooting. It's mostly Valve fanboys combined with a healthy overlap of EA hate. No rational discourse to be had with the likes of that. Never is.

Last edited:
I don't get the Steam loyalty outside of people are now butthurt that they don't have the option to keep all of their games in on solution.

Why is it people have to be "butthurt" and can't simply see the restriction and make a concious choice not to buy the game? I've already said this but it's worth saying again, the market is NOT starved of games and there's an increasing trend to release crap anyway so the actual loss of not playing these games can be largely mitigated, it is possible to disagree with what EA are doing here and actually find alternatives to occupy your time with.

Oh no, we're all buthurt, QQ more ragequit BBQHAX :rolleyes:

Oh no, we're all buthurt, QQ more ragequit BBQHAX :rolleyes:

Not necessarily in your case but yes, you've summed up a lot of the noise and din on this subject. It's also been way run into the ground. No one's going to change anything.

There's a storm brewing.

I completely agree, I remember all the threads bitching about Steam during release and every game released that "Requires Steam" after that. It's funny that this is the exact same thing but just replace "Steam" with "Origin." Origin doesn't bother me and like you said, give it a few years and no one will care anymore.

I'm not missing out on ME3 because of this just like I didn't boycott HL2 because of Steam

Valve set this precedent and everyone makes gaben out to be some kind of fat god. ONLY VALVE IS ALLOWED TO FORCE SOFTWARE ON MY TO PLAY GAMES AND DATAMINE MY COMPUTER. EA IS EVIL!

I have both services. I own 200+ games on Steam and I have Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, BF3, and a few others on Origin.

I don't like Origin. It doesn't self-update, it just prompts you to update then makes you manually walk through the install procedure again. I don't like how games that require Origin automatically launch Origin, even if you can just close it after the launch starts - just do a check and leave me alone. I don't like how the games that are "integrated" with Origin (etc BF3) still don't have integrated friends lists. The web browser inside of Origin is incredibly slow and has crashed on me before. I don't like that I no longer have an option of buying EA games on Steam, either, which in some cases means my library is split up even for the same series. And overall, the fit and finish is just not as good as Steam, period.

This is just a small list of complaints. There are legitimate reasons to dislike Origin. I really love ME3, so I will probably end up getting it. This is just frustrating as a consumer.

I have both services. I own 200+ games on Steam and I have Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, BF3, and a few others on Origin.

I don't like Origin. It doesn't self-update, it just prompts you to update then makes you manually walk through the install procedure again. I don't like how games that require Origin automatically launch Origin, even if you can just close it after the launch starts - just do a check and leave me alone. I don't like how the games that are "integrated" with Origin (etc BF3) still don't have integrated friends lists. The web browser inside of Origin is incredibly slow and has crashed on me before. I don't like that I no longer have an option of buying EA games on Steam, either, which in some cases means my library is split up even for the same series. And overall, the fit and finish is just not as good as Steam, period.

This is just a small list of complaints. There are legitimate reasons to dislike Origin. I really love ME3, so I will probably end up getting it. This is just frustrating as a consumer.

Considering all the issues related to Steam auto-updating even when you tell it not to I'm not sure if not having that feature is a bad thing. It would be a nice option though.

One of the reasons why new EA games aren't on Steam is due to Valve's DLC policy. It's also why you'll never see games like Minecraft on their.

Considering all the issues related to Steam auto-updating even when you tell it not to I'm not sure if not having that feature is a bad thing. It would be a nice option though.

One of the reasons why new EA games aren't on Steam is due to Valve's DLC policy. It's also why you'll never see games like Minecraft on their.
I've never had any issues with Steam auto-updating, and I always use the latest beta version anyways. I hear it has caused some problems with users games being patched, and that is unfortunate. From my perspective though, I want the service to be as transparent as possible. I can install a game via Steam and then never have to touch it again other than launching the executable (Steam loads silently in the background when I start Windows).

I understand the DLC policy. I think both sides of that argument have merit. In the end though it's just worse for us as customers.

I like how this is about "origin is just like steam, so why not get it."
Origin may be just like steam but a lot of people boycott EA products in general, of which origin is simply one of. I dont buy EA products any more, or Ubisofts. Origin, by itself isn't that big of a deal, its just another reason to avoid EA.

I like how this is about "origin is just like steam, so why not get it."
Origin may be just like steam but a lot of people boycott EA products in general, of which origin is simply one of. I dont buy EA products any more, or Ubisofts. Origin, by itself isn't that big of a deal, its just another reason to avoid EA.

This wouldn't make much sense, since if you are boycotting EA products in general, than Mass Effect 3's distribution situation would not matter to you as Mass Effect 3 itself is an EA product.

I'll pass. I already have one spyware program on my PC (Steam), and that's plenty. At least Steam is stable and mostly bug-free, more than I can say for Origin.

And after the ridiculous DLC shitfest that was Mass Effect 2, I wouldn't even recommend that people pirate it until 1 year after release just so you can play the whole game at once.

I'll pass. I already have one spyware program on my PC (Steam), and that's plenty. At least Steam is stable and mostly bug-free, more than I can say for Origin.

And after the ridiculous DLC shitfest that was Mass Effect 2, I wouldn't even recommend that people pirate it until 1 year after release just so you can play the whole game at once.

Steam isn't even remotely bug free.

Steam isn't even remotely bug free.
I guess I mean bugs that I've have experienced. I can't really comment on bugs I haven't experienced, sorry. I'm sure other people have, but since I haven't I didn't bother rooting around looking for them. I suppose I should add "in my experience" to my posts in order help avoid confusion.

I've experienced plenty of bugs in Origin (most recently, the overlay never closing and forcing me to end it in task manager), and I have only played one game on it. EA needs to get its act together on that.

I guess I mean bugs that I've have experienced. I can't really comment on bugs I haven't experienced, sorry. I'm sure other people have, but since I haven't I didn't bother rooting around looking for them. I suppose I should add "in my experience" to my posts in order help avoid confusion.

I've experienced plenty of bugs in Origin (most recently, the overlay never closing and forcing me to end it in task manager), and I have only played one game on it. EA needs to get its act together on that.

Well to flip your argument I can't comment on Origin bugs since I've never experienced any. Both services have bug that need to be worked out, but neither can really be called bug free,

Sadly I wasn't aware of the DLC situation until after I bought ME2. In my defense though, the so-called "Digital Deluxe" edition moniker did make it sound like it was a GOTY edition. Didn't realize until afterwards that it only included one set of DLC. To purchase the rest, I'd need to create a BioWare account, buy BioWare points, and then spend a ton more than what I bought the base game for to buy said DLC :rolleyes:.

An interesting list of complaints. I've found the auto-update in Steam extremely shit. It doesn't give you the option of asking you, it just downloads it, you can turn off the downloads, but that has been buggy for YEARS and games will update themselves even when you tell them not to do it. Also I've had Steamworks games fully have to redownload themselves because of a problem when patching.

You don't like how Origin games launch Origin? Isn't this exactly what Steam does? There hasn't been a game in years that you can open without it first opening Steam. I remember doing that with the first CODMW game, but try it with any game released in the past 2 or maybe even 3 years and you'll find almost all (if not all) of them will try and launch Steam first.

I agree with you on the integrated friends list thing. I hate the way Origin has a friends list in Origin and a separate friends list in Battlelog and you can do certain things through one which you can't do through others. One thing I like about Steam is its friends list.

The web browser in Steam is pretty terrible IMO as well. I haven't spent a lot of time in the Origin browser, but the Steam one is pretty shit too.

The fit and finish of Origin isn't brilliant, but neither is Steam, and Steam has had years to fix a lot of really basic and fundamental problems.
Well to flip your argument I can't comment on Origin bugs since I've never experienced any. Both services have bug that need to be worked out, but neither can really be called bug free,
Yep, I've had plenty of problems with Steam and so far nothing in Origin that I'd describe as a bug (some things annoy me, but they seem to be by design rather than bugs). That said I've only got 1 game on Origin so far :) We should all be aware in this day and age that just because you have bugs in one program doesn't mean the bugs are widespread and everyone has them, and if you don't have bugs doesn't mean the program isn't buggy for others and doesn't have widespread problems.

An interesting list of complaints. I've found the auto-update in Steam extremely shit. It doesn't give you the option of asking you, it just downloads it, you can turn off the downloads, but that has been buggy for YEARS and games will update themselves even when you tell them not to do it. Also I've had Steamworks games fully have to redownload themselves because of a problem when patching.

You don't like how Origin games launch Origin? Isn't this exactly what Steam does? There hasn't been a game in years that you can open without it first opening Steam. I remember doing that with the first CODMW game, but try it with any game released in the past 2 or maybe even 3 years and you'll find almost all (if not all) of them will try and launch Steam first.

I agree with you on the integrated friends list thing. I hate the way Origin has a friends list in Origin and a separate friends list in Battlelog and you can do certain things through one which you can't do through others. One thing I like about Steam is its friends list.

The web browser in Steam is pretty terrible IMO as well. I haven't spent a lot of time in the Origin browser, but the Steam one is pretty shit too.

The fit and finish of Origin isn't brilliant, but neither is Steam, and Steam has had years to fix a lot of really basic and fundamental problems.

Yep, I've had plenty of problems with Steam and so far nothing in Origin that I'd describe as a bug (some things annoy me, but they seem to be by design rather than bugs). That said I've only got 1 game on Origin so far :) We should all be aware in this day and age that just because you have bugs in one program doesn't mean the bugs are widespread and everyone has them, and if you don't have bugs doesn't mean the program isn't buggy for others and doesn't have widespread problems.
I agree that the browser in Steam is spartan at best and not ideal, but I've never had it cause actual performance degradation in a game if I left a window open while playing. I've had slowdowns while playing BF3 because I left the browser open in the overlay.

I've also never turned off an auto-update in Steam. So I have no experience with that. I'm guessing you didn't want to break mods on some game? I hear that feature is buggy but I've never used it.

And with Steam, as long as Steam is running in the background, you can launch a game and it doesn't pop up with everything else. If I launch an Origin game (BF3 for example) from my desktop, the full Origin client loads up on 2nd screen every time. Simple annoyance, I know, just stupid. It would be like if Steam maximized itself as the large mode client every time you launched a game, by comparison.

Ah ok, I've not experienced the slowdowns in BF3 caused by the browser.

I'm interested to hear that BF3 launches the Origin page when you try and open it... it doesn't do that for me. I just tested it right then. Opened Origin, closed it so its running in the background, opened BF3 through the Windows start menu, Origin did NOT open.

Origin had its problems at BF3 launch. However, they have already been fixed, at least for me.

Same thing that happened when valve started requiring steam. People were up in arms until they realized it was just easier to use steam.

Yep, I remember being in a LAN center and cursing at the CRT wondering "WTF, why do we need to use Steam now?"

Let's take a trip down memory lane shall we?

http://internetgames.about.com/library/weekly/aasteama.htm

It would have been nice if Steam had been made optional, at least for existing Half-Life players. Had it been mandatory only from Half-Life 2 on, I think the community would have been a lot more understanding.

Damn, this sounds oddly familiar. If we replaced the word "Steam" with Origin, it'd be funny and oddly....it sounds just like the argument we hear today about Origin!

Steam works roughly as advertised, unfortunately, at it's best it's a rather weak incarnation of GameSpy that supports only a minute fraction of the games. It might be tolerable if the only game you play is Counter-Strike, but for those of us that play a variety of games that aren't from Valve, Steam is just extra baggage. Even in the unlikely event that game companies start hopping on the Steam bandwagon in droves, it will be a long time before Steam supports as many games as some of the other software currently available.

Library in Origin horrible? Steam never had that! I have so many games on Steam --- wait, no I didn't. Not in 2003/2004.

http://planethalflife.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Editorials.Detail&id=2

PHL Staff goes after all the very same arguments that Steam had when it was released.

If your curious, do some Google searches with specified date ranges from 2003 to 2007 or so.

So, uh, yeah. Let's stop with the I hate Origin-this, or I hate Steam-that. Because really? This has been beat to death. Like a horse. By a farmer with dementia. No, the horse is not a demon. Put down the pitchfork!

You have fun playing with your principles while I play my games ;)

I have principles, just not when it comes to gaming, when it comes to gaming, I don't have principles, I have fun :)

+1
Have fun using your 2600K and GTX 580 SLI rig on www.gog.com games!:D I'll be busy finishing the fight with Shepard.

+1
Have fun using your 2600K and GTX 580 SLI rig on www.gog.com games!:D I'll be busy finishing the fight with Shepard.

Good retort :D

Don't like Origin , that's fine .. your free to hate it , protest it and never ever use it. But like it or not EA owns the rights to do with the ME series whatever they want.

If they want to only sell it to Siberia for the first 4 months of release as an exclusive then they can do that (they would get massive amounts of shit for it but its there right). Just like Its Valve's right to launch new games on Steam that they've developed first.

Origin is here to stay , either get use to it or don't play the games that are exclusive to it.

Try to look at it like this , its competition , competition is a good thing. It gives us better prices , it makes each company work to improve the quality of service thus making it a better experience for the customer. Hell Steam could learn one thing from Origin , Live chat support .. instead of email correspondence that can take weeks to resolve.

Try to look at it like this , its competition , competition is a good thing. It gives us better prices , it makes each company work to improve the quality of service thus making it a better experience for the customer. Hell Steam could learn one thing from Origin , Live chat support .. instead of email correspondence that can take weeks to resolve.

No it's not competition, in fact it's the exact opposite of competition, it eliminates competition by creating being a closed platforms, if all games were available on steam and on origin now THAT would be competition, they'd have to fight to lower prices.

Currently if EA make origin a requirement then they can fix one digital price and no one can do anything about it. Sounds brilliant for the consumer :rolleyes:

No it's not competition, in fact it's the exact opposite of competition, it eliminates competition by creating being a closed platforms, if all games were available on steam and on origin now THAT would be competition, they'd have to fight to lower prices.

Currently if EA make origin a requirement then they can fix one digital price and no one can do anything about it. Sounds brilliant for the consumer :rolleyes:

So Valve makes Steam a requirement for many games but that's ok right? Nothing to get up in arms about there I guess :rolleyes:

So by your logic EA capitalizing on owning the ME franchise and making it exclusively work with Origin is somehow forcing it to be a "closed platform" and thus making the price of that content whatever EA wishes to charge (which based on your logic will be what? $10,000 or more? Since of course NO ONE else will be able to offer it and EA has gamers by the balls I'm sure that's exactly what they will do no doubt... charge a massive price since they have all the power of release).

Yet Valve is allowed to have exclusives and is allowed to force you to use Steam to install and play games...

Damn that Origin service sure is all evil and stuff.

So Valve makes Steam a requirement for many games but that's ok right? Nothing to get up in arms about there I guess :rolleyes:

I have said SEVERAL times, in quite clear English that I don't agree with either side doing it, why the fuck do people keep creating blatent strawmans of what I'm saying!?

I have said SEVERAL times, in quite clear English that I don't agree with either side doing it, why the fuck do people keep creating blatent strawmans of what I'm saying!?

I'm basing my statement off your retort to mine. Not whatever else you said in the thread.

Perhaps you should go make yourself a tea and relax ;)

Don't publishers set the pricing on their own games anyway? Kinda like how COD games are expensive everywhere, regardless of where you go to buy them. If publishers just told distributors to charge whatever they want whenever they want, I'm sure we'd see a lot of games a hell of a lot cheaper.

But either way, requiring Origin to run doesn't mean requiring Origin to purchase, just like requiring Steam for Steamworks games doesn't require purchasing from Steam.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-BF3UK/battlefield-3-uk
http://www.direct2drive.com/10557/product/Buy-Battlefield-3-Download
http://www.direct2drive.com/Search.aspx?SearchTerm=mass effect 3
http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-ME3UK/mass-effect-3-uk

Maybe in the future EA will lock down their Origin games so you have to buy them through Origin, but unlike Valve, they haven't yet. I don't let distant future hypotheticals on games that haven't been released yet affect my purchasing behaviour of current games, I just buy the games now that I want now if I think they're worth the money. If EA start price gouging in the future, I'll stop buying them when it happens if I feel the games are no longer worth the money.

Back