ME1 for starters

$cooter

Weaksauce
I know there is already a 26 page thread on ME2 but my question is slightly off-axis. I was too busy playing WOW when ME1 came out but have since shaken that addiction. I am building a new system and very much looking forward to playing ME2 but was wondering if ME1 is worth going through first and if having that backstory would enhance the experience of playing ME2? I am somewhat of a completionist and feeling like I will be seriously missing out on something if I don't go through ME1 first.

Definitely play the first game before the second. Mass Effect is just that way. Bioshock, on the other hand, the second could be played without knowledge of the first. In ME1 if you don't go nuts looking for every resource it should take less than 20 hours.

...And storywise ME1 is superior to ME2 IMO

+1

In fact I'd go so far as to say it was a better game, but then I enjoyed the RPG elements that got stripped away in ME2.

--

Anyway, for the OP, I would definitely recommend playing ME1 before ME2. ME2 is a much fuller game if you've played ME1. Without it, much of ME2 may seem hollow. Both are excellent games, but their play mechanics are a bit different. Both are must owns either way.

+1

In fact I'd go so far as to say it was a better game, but then I enjoyed the RPG elements that got stripped away in ME2.
I agree completely.

And if you play ME2 without playing the first one, you really won't know what the hell is going on for the most part, so I would say it's definitely worth playing ME1 beforehand.

And if you play ME2 without playing the first one, you really won't know what the hell is going on for the most part, so I would say it's definitely worth playing ME1 beforehand.
Well, one could read a synopsis of the story from the first game and figure things out pretty easily.

Still, the first game was great (though I liked the "stripped-down" system of ME2 better), so the only excuse not to play it is to save [very little] money. :)

While it is true that you could easily jump into ME2 reading summaries, I found that by playing ME1, I had a deeper appreciation for the story as well as the events that unfolded in ME2. I recommend playing the first one if you have the choice, it is worth the difference.

Plus, the first game was epic!

While it is true that you could easily jump into ME2 reading summaries, I found that by playing ME1, I had a deeper appreciation for the story as well as the events that unfolded in ME2. I recommend playing the first one if you have the choice, it is worth the difference.

Plus, the first game was epic!

This.

My opinion, ME1 had much more political intrigue in the plot... the moral decisions by themselves seemed to have more weight to them than in ME2. ME2, at least for me (played both paragon and renegade runs) was Renegade = gigantic ass... but not much else.

I also like the uber-customization in ME1... I understand why they stripped away a lot of the RPG elements in ME2, and it's grown on me... but I still miss them.

you should not play Bioshock 2 without having played Bioshock 1

it's ludicrous to suggest not playing Bioshock 1 before 2

you'll see why after playing it, you'll find yourself comparing the 2

you should not play Bioshock 2 without having played Bioshock 1

it's ludicrous to suggest not playing Bioshock 1 before 2

you'll see why after playing it, you'll find yourself comparing the 2
What does Bioshock have to do with anything? This thread is about Mass Effect.

Playing through mass effect 1 should almost be required reading for mass effect 2. I dunno, it was wierd, but the games together managed to pull some real honest emotions from me.

The action hero smile at the end of #1, sheps dorky expression reacting to the 'reach vs flexibility' conversation. You get a real heartfelt investment in your own personal shep when you play through 1 then 2, it's a subtle effect but it makes playing them in sequence totally worth it, and it's an experience in gaming that is totally unique.

Do not play ME2 without first playing ME1.

Take it slow and savor each little detail. It's gonna be a long fucking wait between ME2 and ME3... Following the same development cycle between ME1 and ME2 it's gonna be about 3 years.

Also I hope you deleted your WoW characters/got yourself banned etc.

Thanks for all the advice. As for my WoW accounts, I haven't touched them since October, even then I was playing all the time just to keep my head above water in a serious raiding guild. No way I could ever catch up now.. And I don't want to. Thanks again.

I also never played ME1 and was thinking of playing it before ME2 but people keep talking about how boring and useless the side quests are and to stick to the main story...but I'm the type of gamer who loves exploring everything a game has to offer...would exploring everything make ME1 less of a game?

I also never played ME1 and was thinking of playing it before ME2 but people keep talking about how boring and useless the side quests are and to stick to the main story...but I'm the type of gamer who loves exploring everything a game has to offer...would exploring everything make ME1 less of a game?

I'm the same way in that I'm a bit of completionist with games. I like to try and do everything I can no matter what as long as it's a good game. I'll tell you right now that doing all the boring sidequests (not all of them are actually boring) will not take away from the game but they don't really add to the game either. I'm mostly talking about finding the ID tags, Turian crests and the mineral collecting. The only things those do in the game is give you some xp and some money. Otherwise, there is no need to bother with them unless you are a completionist. I've played through Mass Effect 1 several times and almost every time I end up completing those basically worthless sidequests just because I hate not having them done. The reason people hate these particular sidequests is because you spend a shitload of time running around on random planets in the Mako to find this stuff and that is easily the most boring and tedious part of the game.

I would suggest trying the sidequests and if you get bored with them, don't bother completing them. If they get too tedious there is no reason to continue them to the detriment of your enjoyment of the game.

I would suggest trying the sidequests and if you get bored with them, don't bother completing them. If they get too tedious there is no reason to continue them to the detriment of your enjoyment of the game.
This. I'd recommend doing every assignment you get. Several are referenced, though most of them obliquely, in the second game; the developers say that they plan to have more references to assignments from the first game in the third. But don't worry about the collection quests if you start to get bored. I didn't find those quests onerous my first two times through the game, but after that I stopped. I still put around 200 hours total into the first game. :)

Congrats on kicking your WOW habits man. Assuming you don't just fill that void with other computer based activities, you'll see your life improve drastically :)

I have 6 year old and a 12 year old, filling the freed up time is easy enough to do =P

Back