MCE05 : FX5200 or 6800GTOC

vischo

Gawd
I'm deciding which card to use in my new HTPC that will be running Media Center 2005.

I have a:
Chaintech FX5200 Ultra
BFG 6800GT OC

I found this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/partners/dfw/videocardsreq.mspx but couldn't understand all of it.

First, is the FX5200 strong enough of a card? Otherwise, I will have to get a different cooling fan etc. for the 6800GT because it doesn't quite fit in the case I've got.

Thanks.

The 5200 would be fine for MCE. However, if you want the best video quality (especially when it comes to DVDs) you should use the 6800GT and nvidia's DVD decoder. The 6800GT has Purevideo functions that will enhance the video quality nicely.

The 5200 will be fine for SDTV, and will also be a lot quiter than the 6800, especially if it's passively cooled.

IanG said:
The 5200 will be fine for SDTV, and will also be a lot quiter than the 6800, especially if it's passively cooled.
NV Silencer! (Couldn't be happier with mine)

I'd drop on the 5200. 6200 at the VERY least. If you wanted, a 6600 and a NV Silencer, that'll be quite nice.

I have (2) MCE's with 5200s.
I like them because they are passviely cooled although they do get hot.
And they are cheap and meet the requirements I need for Standard tv.
If I was thinking about HDTV, I'd get a 6600GT passively cooled and some 120mm fans in the case.

If your going to a standard SDTV with svideo then a 5200 would be fine although I would suggest a 6200 since they are about the same price as a 5200, perform better and support Purevideo.

If your going to be using an HDTV then a 6600GT is probably the most you'll need, if you want to game one it a 6800 GS or 7x00 series card would be better.

jebo_4jc said:
The 6800GT has Purevideo functions that will enhance the video quality nicely.

I know the AGP 6800GT has broken PureVideo, does the PCI-E version have it fixed?

-pig

pigwalk said:
I know the AGP 6800GT has broken PureVideo, does the PCI-E version have it fixed?
The vanilla 6800 PCIe has working PV, the GT and Ultra do not.

CrimandEvil said:
The vanilla 6800 PCIe has working PV, the GT and Ultra do not.
I think it's semi-working on the GT and ultra. MPEG2 stuff is alright, but wmv acceleration is busted (at least accorfding the the PV page at nvidia.) I'm still amazed there hasn't been a class-action over this.

To say that it's "busted" as in completely is wrong, the only thing thats broken is WMV HD acceleration which is like saying... well I can't think of anything good but suffice to say WMV HD acceleration is virtually useless.

CrimandEvil said:
To say that it's "busted" as in completely is wrong, the only thing thats broken is WMV HD acceleration which is like saying... well I can't think of anything good but suffice to say WMV HD acceleration is virtually useless.
My Terminator 2 Extreme edition begs to differ... It would also be useful if/when HDDVD ever arrives (HDCP issues aside.)

i find that the $10 purevid codec on a 5xxx series looks just as good with stv as it does with a 7800gt.

IanG said:
My Terminator 2 Extreme edition begs to differ... It would also be useful if/when HDDVD ever arrives (HDCP issues aside.)

so it effects one movie that most people have seen a kajillion times already and don't watch anymore? crap, avoid that card for sure then.
:D

Would it be better? For just TV out no it would be a big waste of the GT if all you were doing was svideo out (even for gaming, you'll be gaming at 720x480). If you are connecting via DVI then yeah the GT would be the better choice.

CrimandEvil said:
Would it be better? For just TV out no it would be a big waste of the GT if all you were doing was svideo out (even for gaming, you'll be gaming at 720x480). If you are connecting via DVI then yeah the GT would be the better choice.
The 6xxx series cards have advanced playbacks options. I noticed a difference between a 5200 and a 6600, BIG difference at that.

Taking up two slots isn't a problem. (BTW that to me is height, but potato : po-ta-to) What about the width sticking out from the MOBO to the outer edge, does it add anymore than the PCB itself?

vischo said:
Taking up two slots isn't a problem. (BTW that to me is height, but potato : po-ta-to) What about the width sticking out from the MOBO to the outer edge, does it add anymore than the PCB itself?
*Looks at card*

MAYBE 1/4". Maybe. But I have the 6800OC that needs RMA'd. So yes, it does add. But barely any

:)

Going with VGA or DVI then yeah the 6800GT would be the better option. My NV Silencer doesn't add any extra lenght to my 5700U so you should be fine.

i have run my media center with a MSI 5200, and now with a ATI 9600... and i have to say that the picture it much chrisper with the 9600 compared to the 5200.. so i would go for the 6800GT over the 5200..

Back