McAfee Full Disk Encryption?

coolrunnings

Limp Gawd
A colleague of mine has a laptop from his previous job that was encrypted with full disk encryption. He knows the password but the laptop itself died. He said he believes the encryption software came from McAfee originally but I have no access to the information due to not having the software and the laptop beind dead as a doornail. I put his hard drive in one of my other computers as a slave and it gives me a preboot authentication. I entered the password he gave me and it allows me to continue booting up but when I get into my version of Windows 7, his drive shows up as being unformatted/RAW. I've worked with TrueCrypt and with Bitlocker quite a bit but never McAfee. Anyone here have any knowledge of how to decrypt the drive offline?

This makes me curious. The laptop was from his previous employer, yet he still has custody of the computer?

What kind of information does your colleague need to pull off of this computer?

He was somewhat of an independent contractor to my knowledge and it is his personal computer that he used for work. He used to work as a financial adviser so full disk encryption was required by his company. It's an Asus laptop, not a business class machine issued by corporate so I'm uncertain as to whether it has a TPM or not. He just wants his my documents folder and pictures.

My company uses McAfee and whenever the laptop failed to boot anymore they had to use the master key to unlock and decry pt the drive to get files off of it.

I don't work in IT just know the guys that do. Good luck!

Same with bitlocker ^^ whenever windows updates would louse up things or a hard drive started going out, we needed the key to unlock it. One time the CFO of a company's laptop did not plant the key into AD. Fun times. (I hate FDE)

Same with bitlocker ^^ whenever windows updates would louse up things or a hard drive started going out, we needed the key to unlock it. One time the CFO of a company's laptop did not plant the key into AD. Fun times. (I hate FDE)

Windows restore when windows won't boot. forget it!

Perhaps it could be Encryption Plus or Guardian Edge HD under Symantec? More than likely older versions, you won't be able to get support.

Back