MBP refresh?

They released a ton of promotional videos for it on the new case design, the new IPS displays, the i5 and i7 CPUs in the 27" models, etc etc. It was a major refresh for the whole line, it didn't just slip on through.

obviously...silent as in no keynote or presentation. Obviously they're going to market new products regardless. This in context of the next MBP refresh, where the next scheduled Apple event is WWDC and whether or not they'll wait until then to refresh.

I feel the need to bump this...cannot wait much longer. Latest rumors are that it's going to be either tomorrow or the 16th....or after the ipad launch settles down....or WWDC. This BLOWS.

It's just how it goes with Apple, and really the industry as a whole. You can get what they have now and risk having them come out with a new product, or put off the joy of ownership with the concrete knowledge that they just updated.

I waited about 5 months to get my 13 MPB because I knew they were updating in summer of 09 and I didn't need my computer until August of 09, and it killed me too, but I was happy I waited.

I got impatient waiting for the updates, so I just gota Mac Mini to hold me over fora few months.

What the fuck Apple, this is bullshit, I this is the longest wait between MBP updates I can remember.

What the fuck Apple, this is bullshit, I this is the longest wait between MBP updates I can remember.

disagree with this. the current models are fantastic, and an update is not really needed. Other than an i3, what more could you want?

It's definitely been a while, but the nvidia-Intel spat really didn't help.

The new MBPs will be more than worth the wait, IMO. I'd guess a Core i5 in the 13'' and 15'' models with a Core i7 in the 17'' model, with all three using nvidia's Optimus.

Does anyone believe that they'll have a HDMI port on the upcoming refresh or perhaps a Mini-Display Port with audio built-in?

disagree with this. the current models are fantastic, and an update is not really needed. Other than an i3, what more could you want?

GPU update more than anything, especially now that Steam is imminent.

Does anyone believe that they'll have a HDMI port on the upcoming refresh or perhaps a Mini-Display Port with audio built-in?

There are rumors of both right now, with the miniDP with built-in audio supporting an HDMI adapter. We'll find out pretty soon.

Looking to get my wife a MBP for her birthday in May, think these will ship by then?

anyone hoping for a graphics card that is anything better than average is in for a disappointment, this is apple...

Definitely disagree with this. The current models have very much outdated hardware/prices. I hate the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Hopefully Apple moves to ATI for their GPU's, as Nvidia has really been dropping the ball lately.

I'd love to see a 13" MBP with: i5, HDMI, updated graphics. If Apple unveils something like that, it's buh-bye to my current MBP (unibody 15.4") which is a great laptop, too.

I'd love to see a 13" MBP with: i5, HDMI, updated graphics. If Apple unveils something like that, it's buh-bye to my current MBP (unibody 15.4") which is a great laptop, too.

It would be ideal for me but it'll never happen. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see Apple putting anything beyond a 9400M into their smaller machines. It gives them a clear delineation in their product line. I would much prefer carrying a 13" MBP over a 15", but if I get one it won't have a good discrete GPU like the larger models.

It would be ideal for me but it'll never happen. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong, but I can't see Apple putting anything beyond a 9400M into their smaller machines. It gives them a clear delineation in their product line. I would much prefer carrying a 13" MBP over a 15", but if I get one it won't have a good discrete GPU like the larger models.
Go ahead, piss all over my dream laptop. :p :p :p

next tuesday, the 16th, seems to be the date most people on Macrumors are waiting for. Good lord I hope we don't have to wait until June/July. That would be a full year between refreshes. I already got 1400 bucks saved up...not much longer now.

Seriously. I've been waiting for the core i5 and i7 macbooks for a while now. It better come soon...

My predictions for the 13" laptop are i3 with integrated graphics and a miniDP that can carry audio. They'll also but the i5/7 in the 15 and 17 and drop in an ATI graphics chip, which most people will think is underpowered (because it will be).

Other than that, it will stay substantially similar. The hardware is NOT outdated, it's a really nice core 2 duo. The graphics are weak, but that is true almost across the board for apple products. They prefer small, quiet, low power/long battery life machines over graphics hardware.

They prefer small, quiet, low power/long battery life machines over graphics hardware.

True. I'll admit that they took a step towards better graphics hardware configuration with the current MBP. Integrated 9400m + 9600m dedicated on most of those machines. If they could just do it with better stuff this time around...

Sorry, I missed what I was wrong about...I said for every instance of keynote update, I could name 2 silent updates. You gave me the 13", I give you the last 15 & 17". I'm well aware there have been keynote updates for the MBP in the past Capt Obvious. ...bottom line, the issue at hand is the next update. I say there's no way it waits until WWDC, some say it does. We will find out. But in the future, suggest you read the entire thread before you come off as such an ass.

Sounds to me like you said MacBooks are rarely refreshed at WWDC, and were shown to be wrong. Anyways, why are you so aggressive about this? That your logic is something prodigious? Your logic goes like this: "To me it seems that June would be too late." That's it. Every other reason you gave is just complete bs. Apple gives themselves several events to announce products at, and they'll choose the time based on market analysis & their internal development milestones.

My predictions for the 13" laptop are i3 with integrated graphics and a miniDP that can carry audio. They'll also but the i5/7 in the 15 and 17 and drop in an ATI graphics chip, which most people will think is underpowered (because it will be).

Other than that, it will stay substantially similar. The hardware is NOT outdated, it's a really nice core 2 duo. The graphics are weak, but that is true almost across the board for apple products. They prefer small, quiet, low power/long battery life machines over graphics hardware.

Is i3 really a worthwhile upgrade to core 2 duo? Wouldn't it be better to see core2 duo on a smaller process instead? I'm just throwing out ideas. From what I've seen, the i3 has nearly identical power consumption compared to the 45nm core2 (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/03/overclocking-intel-core-i3-530/4 for example). Performance is really a wash in many cases (but not all, sometimes performance benefits are significant), and the mobile space would rather lose 10% performance to gain 10% battery life. It seems that on 32nm, core 2 duo would be a beast for mobile space.

Sounds to me like you said MacBooks are rarely refreshed at WWDC, and were shown to be wrong. Anyways, why are you so aggressive about this? That your logic is something prodigious? Your logic goes like this: "To me it seems that June would be too late." That's it. Every other reason you gave is just complete bs. Apple gives themselves several events to announce products at, and they'll choose the time based on market analysis & their internal development milestones.

It took you a month to formulate this reply? Listen, if you're going to be argumentative, at least get the argument right. MBP's are not regularly updated at WWDC, and often it's done without any keynote at all. That was my argument, which you did not even remotely prove incorrect... anyway, if the buzz is correct, it's a moot point, and the MBP's will see an update this month along with the MP's. Please troll somewhere else muppet. :rolleyes:

its been a while coming. it is not often that PC notebooks have apple notebooks beat on hardware for 3-6 months....

i5,i7 are great upgrades due to the hyperthreading.... i5 with its 2 cores but 4 threads would be a great upgrade in performance with keeping similar battery life...

I personally think they are waiting to get the Nvidia Optimus setup working correctly before they do a refresh....

a i5 13" and 15" and a i7 15" and 17" with Nvidia 330m GPUs on highend and 220m or 105m on low end would be an intriguing notebook...

but they need to add back the switchable battery!!!!!!!

oh and good SSD options from intel as Apple built upgrades

It took you a month to formulate this reply? Listen, if you're going to be argumentative, at least get the argument right. MBP's are not regularly updated at WWDC, and often it's done without any keynote at all. That was my argument, which you did not even remotely prove incorrect... anyway, if the buzz is correct, it's a moot point, and the MBP's will see an update this month along with the MP's. Please troll somewhere else muppet. :rolleyes:

Uhoh it looks like I touched on a nerve, "muppet!" lol. Anyways, MBP was debuted at an expo (Macworld), then updated once in between shows, and the last update was at WWDC. I'm no statistician, but that sounds a heck of a lot like, "it could be announced at any time." What you delineated was not a pattern. In fact it was nothing. Take care shnoockums :)!

its been a while coming. it is not often that PC notebooks have apple notebooks beat on hardware for 3-6 months....

i5,i7 are great upgrades due to the hyperthreading.... i5 with its 2 cores but 4 threads would be a great upgrade in performance with keeping similar battery life...

At $1499 for the next 15" I'd expect a hyperthreaded dual core with power consumption equal to similarly clocked C2D (maybe 200 mhz less), a DX11 gpu from ATI, and an SSD. Am I dreaming? I noticed the Adamo offers a 128GB SSD standard on its base model, although that is with a SU 1200mhz and G45 integrated graphics. Apple's never been an economy product, so I wonder if my dream spec will be met.

I'm getting my mom a Macbook Pro soon, but probably going to go for the current model. There's no way she needs anything faster than a 2.2Ghz C2D; that's faster than her desktop. The SSD would be very nice though. Can you upgrade the HD on a unibody mac?

Currently the online store is down so maybe more than likely it's for Pre-orders on the iPad.

I personally think they are waiting to get the Nvidia Optimus setup working correctly before they do a refresh....

a i5 13" and 15" and a i7 15" and 17" with Nvidia 330m GPUs on highend and 220m or 105m on low end would be an intriguing notebook...

but they need to add back the switchable battery!!!!!!!

oh and good SSD options from intel as Apple built upgrades

You can swap out the battery in the unibody.. remove the back panel, and the battery pops right out.. on the 15" anyway

I'm hoping for a higher resolution on the 13s. Lenovo has a 13" with 1440 x 900, and we're still at 1280 x 800. Hopefully, since they have their 27" imacs at a high pixel density they'll do the same with the laptops.

I'm in the market for a laptop and an iX MBP is at the top of my list. Not really in a hurry, but I want a portable dev laptop that can last a while.

I'm hoping for a higher resolution on the 13s. Lenovo has a 13" with 1440 x 900, and we're still at 1280 x 800. Hopefully, since they have their 27" imacs at a high pixel density they'll do the same with the laptops.

Given how 16:9 is dominating everything (unfortunately), I expect the new 13-inch will have a 1366x768 resolution (or possibly 1440x810, but that's highly unlikely), 15-inch will be at 1600x900 and the 17-inch 1920x1080.

Last edited:
Given how 16:9 is dominating everything (unfortunately), I expect the new 13-inch will have a 1366x768 resolution (or possibly 1440x810, but that's highly unlikely), 15-inch will be at 1600x900 and the 17-inch 1920x1080.

I just don't see this happening on the 13". Apple thinks the 13" is for casual users (students and moms), and won't spend the extra cash to make a resolution that those users will think makes everything too small. The 13" will stay where it is.

I just don't see this happening on the 13". Apple thinks the 13" is for casual users (students and moms), and won't spend the extra cash to make a resolution that those users will think makes everything too small. The 13" will stay where it is.
Agreed

Apple doesn't seem to dig high PPI the way power users do. A resolution bump is possible, but the odds are so remote it doesn't warrant consideration. If Apple shifts from 16:10 to 16:9, they'll go from 1280x800 to 1280x720.

Also, just on a personal note, I don't get the angst behind the phasing out of 16:10.

@Terpfen
Most people like having the extra few pixels vertical. It is also one of the reasons people resisted the switch from 4:3 to 16:10 at first. People wanted the extra vertical pixels, instead of the horizontal ones. Personally, I just rotate my screen if I am going to be doing something that would be better suited to more vertical pixels.

Back