MBP refresh?

I'm saving up $ for a MBP and have heard that a refresh is coming soon (march at the latest?), most likely to include new i5/i7 processors and possibly new GPUs. Anyone have any ideas about a date?

Very likely at WWDC in june. Not likely before then, unless they do a sneak update, which they rarely do.

Very likely at WWDC in june. Not likely before then, unless they do a sneak update, which they rarely do.

Based on what, your own insanity? No way can a company with the 4th highest market share sell outdated processor line notebooks for 2 quarters while their competition sells newer technology. Stockholders would have Jobs' head. They'll either update this month or should just discontinue their entire notebook line and become a iPod/iPad company...

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/02/08...-best-buys-inventory-system-updates-imminent/
Yesterday, a poster in our forums claiming to be a Best Buy employee reported that the company's internal inventory system had been updated to show that all MacBook Pro models had been "deleted", preventing Best Buy stores from ordering any new units of the existing models. Earlier today, the poster followed up with additional information in the form of screenshots of the inventory system showing the "deleted" status for Apple's current entry-level 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro models.
Today or tomorrow, I'd think.

Based on what, your own insanity? No way can a company with the 4th highest market share sell outdated processor line notebooks for 2 quarters while their competition sells newer technology.

Didn't they fall to number 5 after this last quarter ended? Either way I'm thinking it'll happen before June as well.

Well it doesn't appear to be today. They've updated the store and Aperture 3 is out (yay!!), but MBP is still C2D

@conscript

No need to insult, I forgot that macworld expo is this week. With that being the case, while their wont be a keynote about it, I bet an upgrade to the MBPs will happen soon. Hopefully anyway, I have been saving money to get a new laptop, and I would love to get my hands on a 17" i7 MBP

@conscript

No need to insult, I forgot that macworld expo is this week. With that being the case, while their wont be a keynote about it, I bet an upgrade to the MBPs will happen soon. Hopefully anyway, I have been saving money to get a new laptop, and I would love to get my hands on a 17" i7 MBP

didn't mean to insult, but there's no way they'll wait until June to update from C2D notebooks. Don't need inside information for that...it's just common sense.

didn't mean to insult, but there's no way they'll wait until June to update from C2D notebooks. Don't need inside information for that...it's just common sense.

Given that Apple historically refreshes hardware during keynotes... yes, it is distinctly likely they'll wait until WWDC.

Or, a better way to phrase it: WWDC is the latest likely date of a MacBook Pro refresh.

Why would they discontinue their notebook line? They sold 1.8 MIllion laptops in Q109, and for the prior 5 quarters, they have had a steady increase in laptop sales every quarter. If anything, they should discontinue their desktop line. They sell less than 800,000 desktops a quarter. Thats less than half the number of laptops.

Given that Apple historically refreshes hardware during keynotes... yes, it is distinctly likely they'll wait until WWDC.

Or, a better way to phrase it: WWDC is the latest likely date of a MacBook Pro refresh.

really? Most of apples refreshes are done silently, unless there's some major product change like unibody casing or something. Please cite me the last time a MBP refresh was done at a keynote, and I'll cite twice as many that were not. WWDC is almost always software driven. They'll likely announce 10.7 OS X then, if anything.

really? Most of apples refreshes are done silently, unless there's some major product change like unibody casing or something.

Speed bumps--retaining the same CPU but merely adding to the MHz count--is done silently. Component switches are announced at keynotes. Since we're looking at a component switch, it will happen at a keynote. I would be very surprised if it did not.

Please cite me the last time a MBP refresh was done at a keynote, and I'll cite twice as many that were not.

Please cite me the last time a CPU switch was done without a keynote.

WWDC is almost always software driven. They'll likely announce 10.7 OS X then, if anything.

WWDC the event is software-driven by definition. The keynotes can contain anything Jobs wants it to. The iPhone was announced at WWDC, for example.

the whole reason Apple supposedly stopped going to Macworld was that they wouldn't be forced to do keynotes to announce products at planned events...

but since you asked, sure:

when they announce first C2D Macbooks:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/nov/08macbook.html

and less auspicious:

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2008/02/26mbp.html

(this was weeks after MacWorld)

Neither update was at Macworld or WWDC.

The MBP will be updated likely this month, if not in March, and it will be done through press release and without much other fanfare, and certainly no keynote, as they are generally done.

The C2D and multitouch trackpad updates were previewed in keynotes before they were released. Jobs took the "announce now, ship later" approach with them, much like the iPad.

ok tell you what...you say it will be done on a grand stage at WWDC...I say no. We'll see who's right, and hopefully the obstinant one of us who ends up being wrong can admit to it.

Speed bumps--retaining the same CPU but merely adding to the MHz count--is done silently. Component switches are announced at keynotes. Since we're looking at a component switch, it will happen at a keynote. I would be very surprised if it did not.

when the iMac just recently switched to i5/i7, it was done silently, no keynote, just as an FYI

bickering.jpg

So, no acknowledgment of how you were wrong, just a grasp for the imac refresh?

Sorry, I missed what I was wrong about...I said for every instance of keynote update, I could name 2 silent updates. You gave me the 13", I give you the last 15 & 17". I'm well aware there have been keynote updates for the MBP in the past Capt Obvious. ...bottom line, the issue at hand is the next update. I say there's no way it waits until WWDC, some say it does. We will find out. But in the future, suggest you read the entire thread before you come off as such an ass.

I just got my boss to approve up to $2500 for a new laptop. I've got a six month window to make a purchase, so a new i5 or i7 MacBook Pro is in my future. :D

I just got my boss to approve up to $2500 for a new laptop. I've got a six month window to make a purchase, so a new i5 or i7 MacBook Pro is in my future. :D
What kind of job do you have where your boss just hands out $2500 to employees for something as pointless as a laptop when you can easily use $300 of your own money and buy a Netbook is internet access and Word are so important

What kind of job do you have where your boss just hands out $2500 to employees for something as pointless as a laptop when you can easily use $300 of your own money and buy a Netbook is internet access and Word are so important

Possibly one where he uses correct punctuation? I dunno, if my boss offered to pay for a laptop up to $2500, I'd buy the MacBook Pro I have right now.

Either way, I can't resist. Maybe the conversation ended like this:

"Telephone, computer, fax machine, 52 weekly paychecks, and 48 airline flight coupons. We now had corporate sponsorship, this is how Tyler and I were able to have fight club every night of the week."

I thought it was a joke when everyone was giving exact dates. It'll be updated before the end of the year. At least that's for sure.

What are you, jealous? And a netbook would not make a good business machine, they are not reliable enough in any way.

Obviously he doesn't do just word and internet, otherwise his boss wouldn't be allowing $2500 dollars for a notebook. If he builds databases, or writes software of any kind, then having a laptop will allow him to work whenever he has his laptop with him. That increases his productivity, which is good for the companies bottom line.

Just because your boss doesn't hand out money for you to buy a laptop, doesn't mean you have to get all uppity because someone elses does.

I was going to offer my own response to Tyler's rather absurd comments, but Felix and Jrdonna reflected my sentiments very well.

What are you, jealous? And a netbook would not make a good business machine, they are not reliable enough in any way.

Obviously he doesn't do just word and internet, otherwise his boss wouldn't be allowing $2500 dollars for a notebook. If he builds databases, or writes software of any kind, then having a laptop will allow him to work whenever he has his laptop with him. That increases his productivity, which is good for the companies bottom line.

Just because your boss doesn't hand out money for you to buy a laptop, doesn't mean you have to get all uppity because someone elses does.

I didn't get all uppity, I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

I was just curious what kind of job he does that gets him these kinds of benefits. Of course I'm jealous, who wouldn't be?

If he's a CAD designer or something I'd understand, but for everything else I just can't see why his boss would flutter company money on something like this.

I didn't get all uppity, I'm sorry if it sounded that way.

I was just curious what kind of job he does that gets him these kinds of benefits. Of course I'm jealous, who wouldn't be?

If he's a CAD designer or something I'd understand, but for everything else I just can't see why his boss would flutter company money on something like this.

A lot of companies buy laptops for their employees. In my Dad's case his company provides him with a dell lattitude (the higher end $2000 + models), which they replace every few years.

I am sure he would much rather just get an allowance to make the purchase of his choice for himself.

yea, I just got a E6400 about 6 months ago for work from my company, and it's probably going to be the last one I get. By the time it needs to be replaced, I think we'll be moving to virtualized desktops, where we get a monthly computer allowance, and maintain our our computers, and just use virtualization software to turn our home computer into a work environment. Pretty excited about that.

soo....back on topic, bottom line is that there's no concrete info at all? The only definite timeline we have is "before the end of the year"?

soo....back on topic, bottom line is that there's no concrete info at all? The only definite timeline we have is "before the end of the year"?

There's no such thing as concrete info when it comes to Apple until it's officially announced.

If you want to stay up to date with the best source of info when it comes to this, check www.macrumors.com

Rumors are your best source of information with Apple and that's as close as you get

when the iMac just recently switched to i5/i7, it was done silently, no keynote, just as an FYI

They released a ton of promotional videos for it on the new case design, the new IPS displays, the i5 and i7 CPUs in the 27" models, etc etc. It was a major refresh for the whole line, it didn't just slip on through.

Back