Max-Q vs Non Max-Q

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
Does anyone have any experience between the 2 different types of laptops?

does the downclocking of the Max-Q make that much of a difference when comparing it to the extra weight?

specifically i am looking at the GTX 1080 models

I'm currently looking at the Aorus X5 V7 as its currently the only model to come with a 4k screen with the max-Q

but my options open up if i go with a non Max-Q 1080 model.

Are you specc'ing for performance or energy efficiency / thin-ness? The Max Q is supposedly 10-15% slower than the regular 1080 mobile, so keep that in mind.

If you want the sleek / thin form factor and given that Max-Q is relatively new, I'd wait a little bit longer, maybe towards the Xmas/New Years holidays and see if anything else comes out - if you can.

Of course if you need a computer right effin now, there's not much choice and you have to go with what's available..

The Max-Q's still run HOT, very hot. Even with the lower clocks you have less room and airflow. So long gaming sessions you need to be on a laptop cooler anyway.

If its going to sit on your desk even 80% or more of the time I'd go without the Max-Q for better 4k performance.

If your carrying it around with you everyday to class and still want to game pretty good when home then I'd get the Max-Q.

Back