mATX v2

Prim3

Gawd
So, I decided to rethink what I wanted to do. I still want to do mATX and I found the case I want just waiting on it to be carried in the states I guess cause no one seems to the PC-A03 from Lian-Li. I want to go AMD unless there is something from intel in the same price range at what I am looking at.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing?
Everything. I am not wanting Crysis at 100fps but I want something that can game for sure. Mostly about the SC2/FPS' and of course that crack of a game WoW.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
500 is what I wanna top at in parts. The case isn't a major name until QuakeCon.

3) Where do you live?
TEXAS YO!
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.

Decided to go ahead and get a PSU so. CPU/RAM/PSU/MOBO

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Case Lian-li, DVD/CD burner sATA. Sata HD. Already have the 250GTS

6) Will you be overclocking?
nope not really

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
22" until 120hz come down some by end of the year.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the month if I choose to.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? mATX mATX mATX. I want it to be small because I go to lans and I also don't want a full tower anymore. I dropped down to a single drive and rom drive for a reason.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?

Vista 64bit.

This is what I got so far.

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible ... - Retail

ASUS M3N78-EM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8300 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL6D-4GBNQ - Retail

My only question is... This board doesn't show support for the Phenom 2's does that mean it wont or was the board just about before those chips?

Also I am interested in hybrid sli for the small boost in power and does a 8200 vs 8300 make that much of a difference for the onboard card?

NewEgg is normally good about providing a link to the motherboard's actual product page. There you should be able to find more information about the board, like whether or not it can support a Phenom II processor (and whether or not it needs a BIOS update in order to support a Phenom II).

I know nothing about Hybrid SLI, so I can't comment on that.

Thanks for that pro tip >< Ya it does support it as per asus website. Now I just gotta figure out what mATX board I should get. Looking for input on these nvidia based boards.

Also I am interested in hybrid sli for the small boost in power and does a 8200 vs 8300 make that much of a difference for the onboard card?

Hybrid SLI (speficially the GeForce boost feature you're thinking of), only works with the low end 8400GS and 8500GT cards. However the Hybrid power feature of Hybrid SLI does work with the GTS 250 IIRC.

No major difference between the 8200 and 8300 chipset.

Thanks for the clarification on what that is. Soo with that... That opens it up to anything on the mother board for me as long as it mATX.
That really doesn't help us help you though. Please try to narrow down what exactly you want in a mATX motherboard that has support for Phenom II CPUs.

That really doesn't help us help you though. Please try to narrow down what exactly you want in a mATX motherboard that has support for Phenom II CPUs.

Just what ever a good chipset is from Nvidia or amd using mATX. I am not up on the AMD chipsets or the Nvidia it's been awhile since I dove into this.

Nvidia 8200 or 8300 for AMD, or AMD 780G. Nvidia 9300 or 9400 for Intel. Ignore Intel IGPs (don't buy it for the IGP, but if the board fits your needs and you're using a discrete vidcard, go for it).

Back