Master of Orion 1+2 on GoG!

I already own both games, and I know how to use DOSBOX, so there's really no need for me to purchase :D

That said, did they fix the MOO2 DirectX 2 bugs that have made the game unplayable since the release of DX8? I've just been playing the DOS executable under DOSBOX, but that's a compromise (some features are only enabled under Windows, and you need a beefy processor).

I have not been able to play MOO2 under Windows since I upgraded to Win2k. Even the Compatibility mode does nothing. The prevailing story I've seen on the web is that Microsoft broke DX2 compatibility when they rebuilt DX8 from the ground-up, and since very few games were ever released for DX2, getting that fixed is a lost-cause (short of patching the original game source).

Bought. Love 4x games and missed these the first time around. Can't wait to fire em up. Thanks for the heads up.

The original MOO is a masterpiece and probably my favorite game of all time, and the 2nd one isn't too shabby either. Well worth the price of admission for those who have not had the pleasure of playing these.

Can anyone who bought this package confirm for me if MOO2 is running on DOSBOX? If they somehow fixed the Windows compatibility issues, that would be worth paying for :D

It's running in DosBox... but everything appears functional. Is the windows version different than the Dos one?

Two of the best games of all time. Spent years playing these as a kid. I'm so glad that companies are bringing this old stuff out of the crypt and offering it for sale, it sucks to think about how many great games are dead now.

Can anyone who bought this package confirm for me if MOO2 is running on DOSBOX? If they somehow fixed the Windows compatibility issues, that would be worth paying for :D

It's running dosbox, however so far I haven't been able to click the menu options. I can hear the music and all that fun stuff, but can't do anything else. I haven't tried to play with it and fix it though. - Win 7 x64 Pro if you must know.

All the menus work flawlessly for me. As far as I can tell the game is working 100% as intended. Win7 64bit here.

And dammit after running the game to verify that everything was working right for that guy I ended up playing all night :p

It's running in DosBox... but everything appears functional. Is the windows version different than the Dos one?

There's a few extra graphics enhancements only enabled in the Windows version, but in terms of pure game play both are the same. The only problem I have is it runs slowly in DOSBOX even with a beefy processor, because it's a rather demanding game to emulate.

Personally I'd go for GalCiv2. Designing ones own ship models is a lot of fun on top of the preexisting gameplay.

Moo 1 is working fine for me, Moo 2 is barely running, stuttering and overall shitty, it took me about 2 minutes to select the first menu option. After that it's playable, but barely tolerable. Sound cuts in and out, lags every few seconds, etc. I'm guessing no one else is having this issue?

Personally I'd go for GalCiv2. Designing ones own ship models is a lot of fun on top of the preexisting gameplay.

Moo 1 is working fine for me, Moo 2 is barely running, stuttering and overall shitty, it took me about 2 minutes to select the first menu option. After that it's playable, but barely tolerable. Sound cuts in and out, lags every few seconds, etc. I'm guessing no one else is having this issue?

I have not played my copy in DOSBOX for a year or so, but I recall just turning sound off, because the emulation was never smooth enough to render it without pops/dropouts (E8200 2.67 GHz). You could also try giving DOSBOX more cycles:

1. While playing DOSBOX in windowed mode, open your task manager, and check the processing load. DOSBOX is single-threaded, so your target is to fully-load one real core. This means your target total is %100 divided by the number of cores/threads you have.

2. If the core is not fully-loaded, press Ctrl-F12 inside DOSBOX until your single processor is at %100 usage - you should see the cycles on the title bar increase. Be careful not to go beyond this sweet spot, or it could cause more emulation woes. Also note that you will have to do this every time you run the game, unless you change the configuration file.

This is the one thing I don't like about DOSBOX - it's not very smart about dynamically allocating processor resources. This becomes a problem when you're trying to run something demanding like 3D VGA games or SVGA games of any type. An SVGA game requires 4x the processing power of a similar VGA game just for the graphics alone.

This is the reason I want someone to fix the Windows version :D DOSBOX is resource-intensive, and not a perfect experience.

Last edited:
There's a few extra graphics enhancements only enabled in the Windows version, but in terms of pure game play both are the same. The only problem I have is it runs slowly in DOSBOX even with a beefy processor, because it's a rather demanding game to emulate.

I'm not sure this is true. I seem to recall running it on a 1.6GHz atom. You really need to up the cycles or else it'll appear to run very slowly. I run about 10,000 cycles for Moo1 and about 50,000 for Moo2. If you leave it on the default cycles all the worlds spin really slow and the cutscenes don't work.

Edit: Just retested. Moo2 runs JUST FINE on my Intel ATOM 1.6GHz cpu (yes, a netbook!). If that can run it, anything can run it! Put the cycles somewhere between 33,000 and 50,000 and it should run just fine.

Last edited:
Back