MASSIVE Steam Summer Sale

Steam is making it VERY difficult for me to stand by my love for physical copies of games. RAAAAGE! :mad:

Has anyone successfully purchased the PopCap Complete Collection, or any game found in that collection? I bought Zuma's Revenge (not in that collection) successfully, but for that collection and every game in it, Steam tells me that the credit card company has declined the purchases. Yet I call the credit card company and they tell me the purchases were never declined - they were never even attempted! I attempted the purchase of the collection about 7 or 8 times, and tried separately about 5 different games within the collection. The Zuma's Revenge purchase worked in the middle of all this, so I had the billing information correct, and the credit card is nowhere near its limit.

After searching around a bit, I find a conspiracy theory that large Steam sales like this are done to drum up new accounts, but they don't want to actually sell the games for those prices, so they make it look like your credit card is declining it, and don't let it work again until the sale is off, expecting the customer to pay the higher price later. With what I've experienced tonight, I believe it.

Edit: The account I was attempting to buy it with was my wife's account, which was a new account I made today. I purchased the collection with my own account as a gift to her account - and it went through. Looks like some of these deals are not for new accounts.

Last edited:
Steam is making it VERY difficult for me to stand by my love for physical copies of games. RAAAAGE! :mad:

I'm totally the oposite, I LOVE digital copies and the way Steam handles it for the most part, just clean and simple with discs to lose or damage. In fact I'll buy games that I have physical copies for just to have it on Steam if the price is right.

But the best of both worlds are games that can be registered on Steam, like Just Cause 2. I bought that physically because it was a lot cheaper than a Steam copy but its now in my Steam collection. ALL games on Steam that are also physically distributed should work this way.

Edit: The account I was attempting to buy it with was my wife's account, which was a new account I made today. I purchased the collection with my own account as a gift to her account - and it went through. Looks like some of these deals are not for new accounts.

Never heard anything like this before.

But the best of both worlds are games that can be registered on Steam, like Just Cause 2.

Holy shit, you're right! The JC2 coupons being given away free on Newegg for new video card purchases do work for registering on Steam! I just tried it and it worked, although the format supposedly wasn't the format Steam said it accepts in its "Which retail CD Keys are accepted on Steam?" support section.

Glad I tried it anyway! W00t!

Has anyone successfully purchased the PopCap Complete Collection, or any game found in that collection? I bought Zuma's Revenge (not in that collection) successfully, but for that collection and every game in it, Steam tells me that the credit card company has declined the purchases. Yet I call the credit card company and they tell me the purchases were never declined - they were never even attempted! I attempted the purchase of the collection about 7 or 8 times, and tried separately about 5 different games within the collection. The Zuma's Revenge purchase worked in the middle of all this, so I had the billing information correct, and the credit card is nowhere near its limit.

After searching around a bit, I find a conspiracy theory that large Steam sales like this are done to drum up new accounts, but they don't want to actually sell the games for those prices, so they make it look like your credit card is declining it, and don't let it work again until the sale is off, expecting the customer to pay the higher price later. With what I've experienced tonight, I believe it.

If what you're saying is true, Steam might be trying to protect your credit card. Some people may steal a credit card, create a new Steam account, and then make large purchases for that account. You may have to wait a few days on the new account before you can make significant purchases.

Or... maybe it's just a Steam glitch. I've never heard of anything like that happening before.

I still love and prefer physical copies of games but in many cases is cheaper for me to get the games on Steam or it's basically my only option without having to drive for an hour somewhere to buy the game. In the case of Mass Effect 2, I wanted the physical collector's edition but no one around here had it. Yes, I could have ordered it and had it shipped but I wasn't interested in waiting. Therefore, I just got the digital deluxe edition or whatever it's called from Steam. I downloaded the game that afternoon and was playing that evening.

I've also never hesitated buying games on Steam when the prices are so damn low. Getting a game which is normally $20 for $5 is just too difficult to pass up when it's something I want or I know I'll like.

It was also possible that what ever credit card processor Steam uses was declining your card as opposed to your actual credit card company.

You'll get over that eventually, I don't really blame you, digital distribution is the forefront of computing and steam has been pioneering here for a while but for a lot of people it's still uncomfortable to make the switch. I have over 150 games on steam now and love it.

Yet another tempting offer by Steam to stock up my growing list of games that I've bought but yet to play :eek:

Just got CSSource and Unreal Pack. Will probably Get Serious Sam Second Encounter and Tropico 3 absolute power expansion pack next week.

Wanted Just Cause 2, but there's no any promo for the game itself, don't really want to spend on the entire Edios pack:(

King's Bounty is very good! Easily worth it for $10 for the gold edition. I haven't played KB:AP yet but my buddy told me it was even better than the base game.

I'm looking at Indigo Prophecy and hoping to get Borderland's Moxxi if they put it on sale.

My head is about to explode!!!

So far purchased Ghostbusters.
Dirt 2
Avencast
Overlord series. (Best bargain thus far)
The Witcher Enhanced edition for my bud.
Few games for the kids.

Spent less than 40 dollars!

People! Post the best bang for the buck games you recommend!

Edit: Just snagged King's Bounty gold for 10 bucks!

Picked up the Witcher and Bioshock 2 for me....two games on my to do list.
Just a hair over $20 -> $21. Not bad.

I have a steam reflex now to cringe whenever I pay full price for any game, PC or Console. I'm being assimilated by the collective! ;)

I have no money in my paypal account to use the debit card, and it takes 3-4 days to transfer funds from my bank account. I am considering getting a prepaid mastercard in a couple hours before the sale ends.

Just bought trine for 5.
Witcher is a steal.

Too bad the Lego stuff isn't included. The kids have finished SW saga.

Just for the board game lovers wanted to throw out some hidden gems.

Patricians 3 $5 (Comes with 2 other games, might be crappy games) The game is older but 4 is still not out (summer 2010). Supposed to be a great strat/simulation.

Port Royale 2 $1.50 Another strat/simulation game....supposed to be decent cannot lose with $1.5

Birth of America $1.5 Strategy revolutionary war game.

Grand Ages Rome $6.79 Strat/city building

East India Company Collection $15 (Main game and 3 expansions...)

Man, I came to this forum to see if maybe I could ask about what's a good game to test out my new tower that I'm building, and I see this thread. There went my budget for a game or two *cry*

wtb self-control?

I just picked up the following:

CoD Collection: Hell of a deal for $30 and beats fumbling threw all the CD's to install them every format

Overlord Collection: Never played them but heart hey were mindless fun can't beat it for $5

Bioshock 2: I've been putting it off and $15 was a good price

The Witcher: I already own it but for $6.70 you cant beat it

Bah, snagged the COD pack. Rather just have those games on Steam than have to worry about some boxes and CD keys.

Men of Honor is 8 bucks for the pack. Any good?

Cannot access the link at work. Is Fallout 3 GOTY on the list? How much?
FO3 GOTY is worth $59.99 today. I don't care that it came out almost 2 years ago. That's easily 100+ hours of content and the graphics and game play are just as good now as they were then.

FO3 GOTY is worth $59.99 today. I don't care that it came out almost 2 years ago. That's easily 100+ hours of content and the graphics and game play are just as good now as they were then.

I would still wait to see if they run it on a daily deal before jumping on it for full price.

Is Resident Evil 5 worth $12?

Audiosurf worth $5?

RE5 is definitely worth $12.

A friend really enjoyed Audiosurf however I have had no experience with it.

I would still wait to see if they run it on a daily deal before jumping on it for full price.

RE5 is definitely worth $12.

A friend really enjoyed Audiosurf however I have had no experience with it.

Thanks. I'm gonna bite on both.

I heard the PC version of Ghostbusters was a joke, but at $4, it may be a risk worth taking.

I'm giving the 2K Complete Pack a serious look. I only own Bioshock and Pirates! out of the collection and it has SO MANY classics like X-COM, Classic Sid Meier, Freedom Force (by the same studio who did Bioshock)...oh yeah and Borderlands, a game I have been dying to own. It seems like a steal at $89.99. What do you guys think?

Back