Mass HD Cloning

Fiala06

n00b
Joined
Jun 1, 2008
Messages
38
I need to reimage a computer lab that is strictly running CAD software. I have been unsuccessful with Norton Ghost and UIU (due to image size) The is 32GB's of data on the hard drive.

Suggestions?
 
We probably could use more detail on the "I have been unsuccessful with Norton Ghost and UIU" problem.
ive imaged conference rooms with 60 machines using Ghost in under 30 minutes
 
PING + PXE. A couple simple modifications and you can make it basically completely automatic, you just have to go around and make all the machines PXE boot.

Don't forget the regular Windows imaging pain in the ass and run SysPrep first. Which subsequently breaks a lot of apps that you might have to manually install again afterward. See vendor documentation...
 
I need to reimage a computer lab that is strictly running CAD software. I have been unsuccessful with Norton Ghost and UIU (due to image size) The is 32GB's of data on the hard drive.

Suggestions?

Maybe you're using a version of ghost that isn't compatible with the ntfs version of the file system on the source or target? I haven't used paid versions of image software in a long time, but this sort of thing was a problem, back then.

While i'm sure there are better solutions, I've used winpe + imagex to move upto 1tb.
 
Free Open-source Ghost is also a good one. Has multicast and its free. Used this to image a 70+ computer lab for a lan party then back to production. The production image was about 20-25gb. Takes sometime but its not bad.

It does have a learning curve.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freeghost/
 
Back
Top