Mass Effect 3 SPOILERS THREAD

I watched the extended endings and was a little bit more satisfied than prior. But, in all honesty, I thought the ending was fairly good for the destroy all synthetic life in the galaxy ending to begin with. I was perfectly pleased with it all minus the hatch opening at the very end. I didn't feel cheated as a lot of gamers did because I kind of expected this type of game play and ending based on what the second game had become.

I thought the extended ending did in fact explain each choice much more clearly and also helped fill in the gap as to why everybody was back on the Normandy. The few holes that were obvious were mostly fixed, and I still feel the ending was at the very least decent.

I will be honest, the ending was not ideal, but I am a person who thought ME1 was much better than ME2 or 3 and was mad they moved away from many RPG aspects of the game. I believe that for a 3rd person shooter(which is what it had become in the latter 2 installments) the ending was very satisfactory.

I did watch all the endings, but only played through 1 so I can understand some of the hatred towards certain outcomes. I still believe, even with the extended ending that the synthesis ending(which is probably the best alternative of the 3) was still lackluster and didn't really show anything. I wish they would have actually changed some of the ending factors not just the ending cutscenes for each one, but I honestly believe that they did not care enough to go into that much detail and actually change decisions that were made previously, instead of just the last option in the game. I am sad for this, but what else can you expect for a company that now is a subsidiary of EA that tries to "appeal to a broader audience"?

I did control, and it worked out great - much happier with the ending this time. It fits what my shepard would have wanted, and been ok with. I'll watch the other two though :) Especially since it didn't involve blowing up the relays now.

edit: added scenes for any that died in ME2 as well, and ME1 - which was important for me, as I lost Legion and Mordin in that fight.

Last edited:
I chose Destroy in game, but after watching all of the others on youtube, I feel like my in game choices over the 3 games best aligns with the control option. That ending evoked the best reaction from me from the epilogue. Shepard makes the ultimate sacrifice to ensure the survival of the galaxy, and enforces cooperation and peace. I may even go back and restart a save from before the Cerebus Base and play back through to see all of the content.

lol @ Danza...

Another sucker who thought the accumulated actions of 3 games were going to give him a personally unique ending tailored specifically for him, all explained and laid-out for him. He'll cry all the way until his next EA Bioware purchase.

Like the rest of you ME3 game ending whiners.

No Earth in the ending? Are you kidding me? Wasn't the whole driving force of this drama that final show-down was going to be on Earth? Or would it have been completely kick-ass if we fought the last battle on the planet of blue lesbians? The whole series centered on Earth and the newness of human involvement in a galactic community...but the blue lesbians with the Lisa Simpson hairdos should have the final honor.

Should have just had Sheppard kill a master control big boss reaper at the end and save the universe and live happily ever after...everybody would be fapping over that ending.

Your choice would be shit writing, or shit writing?

lol @ Danza...

Another sucker who thought the accumulated actions of 3 games were going to give him a personally unique ending tailored specifically for him, all explained and laid-out for him. He'll cry all the way until his next EA Bioware purchase.

Like the rest of you ME3 game ending whiners.

No Earth in the ending? Are you kidding me? Wasn't the whole driving force of this drama that final show-down was going to be on Earth? Or would it have been completely kick-ass if we fought the last battle on the planet of blue lesbians? The whole series centered on Earth and the newness of human involvement in a galactic community...but the blue lesbians with the Lisa Simpson hairdos should have the final honor.

Should have just had Sheppard kill a master control big boss reaper at the end and save the universe and live happily ever after...everybody would be fapping over that ending.

Earth can actually be seen with the Citadel in orbit over it in the new control ending. As for the rest, I don't get guys like you who actually think this or the original endings are good. They aren't. The whole Priority Earth mission and beyond is garbage. A god like Starchild being? Fucking lame. A, B or C choices? Lame. Multicolored garbage that's essentially the same ending with some subtle variations? Lame.

The rest of the series and even ME3 itself up to the last mission already set the bar higher and we were disappointed. Bullshit deus ex machina type plot devices and endings don't make for a good story. Sad endings that are 80% interpretational aren't smart, brilliant or edgy. They are cop outs and a cover for weak and inept writing.

The endings are better now, but I wouldn't call them a strong point for the series as a whole.

You shouldn't even be presented these last 3 (+1) choices in a dialogue wheel, they should come organically from the story choices you've already made. It's not a choose your own adventure book, it's supposed to be an RPG.

You shouldn't even be presented these last 3 (+1) choices in a dialogue wheel, they should come organically from the story choices you've already made. It's not a choose your own adventure book, it's supposed to be an RPG.

Umm the rest of the game has choices via the dialog wheel. The game is basically a choose your own adventure type thing and has been since the first game. Each game simply had all the choices come together for two basic endings so they could move into the next. It would have been a cool mechanic to have the game auto choose based on what you've done, but I still like the manual input.

Umm the rest of the game has choices via the dialog wheel. The game is basically a choose your own adventure type thing and has been since the first game. Each game simply had all the choices come together for two basic endings so they could move into the next. It would have been a cool mechanic to have the game auto choose based on what you've done, but I still like the manual input.

No, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. In a game that was marketed as something that changed dynamically by your choices, you shouldn't be able to choose ALL of the endingings regardless of your past actions. Even a choose your own adventure game would not allow this. Yes, you have to "earn" the endings, but there needs to be consequence to your choices.

The way they handled this part of it adds to the feeling that nothing you do in the games leading up to this matter in the end. It's basic RPG 101.

No, maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. In a game that was marketed as something that changed dynamically by your choices, you shouldn't be able to choose ALL of the endingings regardless of your past actions. Even a choose your own adventure game would not allow this. Yes, you have to "earn" the endings, but there needs to be consequence to your choices.

The way they handled this part of it adds to the feeling that nothing you do in the games leading up to this matter in the end. It's basic RPG 101.

The game does do what you are talking about. But in more subtle ways. There are supposed to be a multitude of subtle variations concerning the endings. Such as different people being seen in the death montage, or other potential things. And in fact, with a particularly low EMS score, you are locked out of all but the destroy ending. (I don't know if the EC changed this.) I agree that in broad terms nothing you do matters, but during the actual game choices made can lock out others. Not having enough reputation / Paragon / Renegade points also locks you out of specific conversation options thus limiting how you must achieve certain results. These do change the overall game experience some, but not the actual outcomes.

As much as we've praised BioWare in the past for giving us all these choices, the games are still limited by their programming and the technology of the time. People have to accept that at some point. Having the game feel different while I'm playing it is where the replay value comes from. And it does. Many parts of the game go very differently based on your choices. The tone of a scene, who lives and who dies often changes dramatically.

And I wouldn't call this RPG 101. Few RPG's present the illusion of choice anywhere near as well as BioWare has. And presenting choices in this manner has only been something strived for in the last decade. In the 1990's, RPG games with actual graphics didn't really vary a whole lot. In fact a single play through was generally sufficient. In KOTOR we had a light side and a dark side ending. Some conversations changed tones slightly, but overall it was the same game either way.

And I wouldn't call this RPG 101. Few RPG's present the illusion of choice anywhere near as well as BioWare has. And presenting choices in this manner has only been something strived for in the last decade. In the 1990's, RPG games with actual graphics didn't really vary a whole lot. In fact a single play through was generally sufficient. In KOTOR we had a light side and a dark side ending. Some conversations changed tones slightly, but overall it was the same game either way.

I'm sorry, but this is patently false. Fallout 1-2 varied a ton based on choices, and you could wipe out entire towns or skip combat almost entirely. Arcanum could be a completely different game just based on the character attributes you chose at the beginning. VtM:B had hugely different choices based on what clan you were and how you handled your vampirism. Hell, fucking Wasteland had massive changes based on choice and consequence. So did many of the Gold Box games. Planescape: Torment could have huge story arcs open up based on how you handled situations and how you built your character.

All of these game, plus many I didn't list didn't give any illusion, they actually gave choice. They also did it better than BioWare ever has.

It is RPG 101.

I'm sorry, but this is patently false. Fallout 1-2 varied a ton based on choices, and you could wipe out entire towns or skip combat almost entirely. Arcanum could be a completely different game just based on the character attributes you chose at the beginning. VtM:B had hugely different choices based on what clan you were and how you handled your vampirism. Hell, fucking Wasteland had massive changes based on choice and consequence. So did many of the Gold Box games. Planescape: Torment could have huge story arcs open up based on how you handled situations and how you built your character.

All of these game, plus many I didn't list didn't give any illusion, they actually gave choice. They also did it better than BioWare ever has.

It is RPG 101.

Wow, I can't co-sign this entire post more strongly. You just cited a slew of kick ass games there that set the bar to this day.

It is RPG 101.

I never played a single one of the games you mentioned aside from the original Fallout which I didn't care for.

Wow, I can't co-sign this entire post more strongly. You just cited a slew of kick ass games there that set the bar to this day.

A bar that is mostly never reached these days. Until F:NV.

I like ME1 and 2, but they aren't so much RPG's as cinematic stories. ME3 killed it with too much autodialogue and a somewhat railroaded approach.

In KOTOR we had a light side and a dark side ending. Some conversations changed tones slightly, but overall it was the same game either way.

KOTOR had a similar problem in that you could be a perfect Jedi or a complete dick and it didn't really matter until because you choose your ending when meeting with Bastilla. I absolutely love that game, but it suffers from a similar problem.

Also, I understand your frustration with the ending, but I don't really see any problem with the Priority Earth mission. It seemed pretty typical for a finale level in a modern console 3rd person shooter. Lots of enemies and some neat set pieces. It makes sense that you aren't commanding everything as you were in the suicide mission, as there are higher ups on the ground in London.

A bar that is mostly never reached these days. Until F:NV.

I like ME1 and 2, but they aren't so much RPG's as cinematic stories. ME3 killed it with too much autodialogue and a somewhat railroaded approach.

I never looked at them as true RPGs anyway because they never felt that way too me. They just felt more like an RPG/Shooter hybrid which is what they truly are. The first one was too much RPG with crappy inventory systems etc. The second one was more of a shooter, but well balanced I thought. The third game was far closer to a shooter than the previous installments were.

I never played a single one of the games you mentioned aside from the original Fallout which I didn't care for.

I know ;)

Diversify a bit, if you can. RPG's have a rich history, and TBH, the last decade has whored them out too much. Many lost the actual point of what RPG's are supposed to be.

People think Bethesda invented the sandbox RPG, which makes me sad. 1988 Wasteland was one of the first sandbox RPG's, and it kicks ass. Only the graphics and interface don't hold up, but the core RPG elements are rarely surpassed even today.

I know ;)

Diversify a bit, if you can. RPG's have a rich history, and TBH, the last decade has whored them out too much. Many lost the actual point of what RPG's are supposed to be.

People think Bethesda invented the sandbox RPG, which makes me sad. 1988 Wasteland was one of the first sandbox RPG's, and it kicks ass. Only the graphics and interface don't hold up, but the core RPG elements are rarely surpassed even today.

I've always been a shooter player. I really used to enjoy my space combat games but that genre is totally dead for some reason. RPG's are really hit or miss with me. I either love them and play the crap out of them or I can't get into them and my interest diminishes very quckly. (Within a couple hours or less.)

I never looked at them as true RPGs anyway because they never felt that way too me. They just felt more like an RPG/Shooter hybrid which is what they truly are. The first one was too much RPG with crappy inventory systems etc. The second one was more of a shooter, but well balanced I thought. The third game was far closer to a shooter than the previous installments were.

You're right, they aren't true RPG's. Adding RPG mechanics doesn't have to be akwardly hamfisted, like it was in ME1. UI design and a layered system can be implemented perfectly fine, so people who aren't hardcore into RPG's might not even notice how deep a game is, and may not be turned off by the complexity. It's not a situation of axing the entire thing because the first attempt was a bit clunky.

I just think BioWare doesn't have a clue - outside of making a good space opera setting with characters many people can identify with.

I just think BioWare doesn't have a clue - outside of making a good space opera setting with characters many people can identify with.

Which is what they achieved, and why the ending sucks so bad. The endings just don't fit with the overall tone of the series.

Yup, I hope they hire new creative directors and writing managers for any other games set in the same universe. If they need a hand, I'm only working 40 hours a week right now :p

You need to stop and put down what you're doing and track all of those games down and move them to the top of your must play list. :)

You need to stop and put down what you're doing and track all of those games down and move them to the top of your must play list. :)

The thing is, as dated as they are I probably won't like them. And some of them just won't grab me anyway. As I said, RPG's are really hit and miss with me. If they don't grab my attention quickly, they never will.

In all honesty I'm often unimpressed when it comes to video game endings. Very few games leave me satisfied with the journey I've taken.

Maybe I'm picker than I use to be but I don't enjoy games that are vapid in quality. But now that I'm not a kid anymore I want more detail and quality in my game endings. I don't want bullshit I've been use to since I was a kid. That just won't fly anymore. Its gotta be worth my time which as I get older becomes more and more important to me.

The problem is that video games have usually had subpar stories and even worse endings. I can think of a few examples where that wasn't the case, but for the most part games really didn't do story well. FPS games are the worst offenders in that regard. And of course Mass Effect games generally did fairly well compared to most, but they've all been in decline story wise after the first game. Though gameplay has evolved to where each game is a general improvement in that regard. Still there is no excuse for the shitty endings that BioWare gave the ME series. The Extended Cut versions are certainly better, but they still suffer from a shitty frame work. Basically having the Starchild in the game wrecked any chance for things to play out in a completely satisfying way.

Shit, just replayed from Cerberus base. Was expecting additions but they never came. I'd forgotten this thing doesn't automatically update. LOL I have to replay now, but I'm putting the difficulty to easy this time.

Edit: Actually liked the additions. Picked Destroy as I still can't imagine picking Synthesis. My God, that kid tries to sell Synthesis. Youtubed Control and it looked pretty good also. I definitely like destroy, though. That kid doesn't know shit: future generations may or may not repeat the cycle. I mean, they know about Shepard's sacrifices as evidenced by the stargazer scene. Plus, Shepard is still alive; he can tell people to not fuck around with synthetics. They should know what to avoid.

Last edited:
Shit, just replayed from Cerberus base. Was expecting additions but they never came. I'd forgotten this thing doesn't automatically update. LOL I have to replay now, but I'm putting the difficulty to easy this time.

Edit: Actually liked the additions. Picked Destroy as I still can't imagine picking Synthesis. My God, that kid tries to sell Synthesis. Youtubed Control and it looked pretty good also. I definitely like destroy, though. That kid doesn't know shit: future generations may or may not repeat the cycle. I mean, they know about Shepard's sacrifices as evidenced by the stargazer scene. Plus, Shepard is still alive; he can tell people to not fuck around with synthetics. They should know what to avoid.

Control and destroy are decent now. This is as good as I think it can get with the Starchild nonsense being in there. I still have a problem with the idea of the thing as it ignores the fact that Sovereign, Harbinger, and other Reapers were all supposed to individually be sentient on their own.

I still have a problem with the idea of the thing as it ignores the fact that Sovereign, Harbinger, and other Reapers were all supposed to individually be sentient on their own.
Well don't worry about that, because this new DLC they are apparently working on should ensure that it all makes even less sense!

At face value the endings are far better than before, sure. However, before the extended cut I could at least assume it was all a dream or indoctrination or something. Right now, the space kid is completely confusing to me. I don't understand why they added this part to the series. The best theme the series had going for it was galactic unity and what it could accomplish. The epilogue harped on this a bit, but that doesn't give them reason to add this space kid rubbish. The synthetics vs. organics thing doesn't make much sense either (hello Geth, our allies?).

So the kid is an AI who forcibly turned his own creators into a Reaper and also every other advanced race? So I guess this is a bit illustrative of that organic vs. synthetic theme. In turn, the organics should seek to destroy or control, right? The worst option is to synthesize as that's clearly what the enemy -- the AI -- wants (I also watched this ending on youtube -- very freaky). I also don't understand why that magical elevator lifted Shepard up to space kid's area in the first place. Because Shepard tried really hard? The space kid could have easily just let the crucible sit there, not firing, and let his Reapers reap. Cheap ending.

Another confusing part is the part where the Normandy lands and picks up your wounded squadmates. What? If anything, everyone on the Normandy should hop out, including Joker, and rush toward that beam. I thought that was the whole point LOL?

The EC answers some questions, but my gosh the ending was a huge fuck up.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of the addition of the Normandy evac. Doesn't really jibe with the concept of trying to save a galaxy on the brink of destruction.

Synthesis is total garbage space magic.

Last edited:
Endings still suck ass.

It needed a ton more work to even approach decency. Honestly, if they were dead set on keeping the star kid AI, they should have just rereleased the game as a director's cut and worked the AI into the game before it just randomly appeared at the very end.

Endings still suck ass.

This.

Still, I'll remember the series as an overall great series and good times with a really crappy ending. The ending was a small part of the overall experience though when you look at the big picture. Even though I'm disappointed in how it got tied up I still have good memories of playing the game through all three. I realize now that this is what we get and that as they say is that unless some heroic fan wants to craft their own modded ending to the series.

After playing through the EC a few times more, I think I finally understand what it is that makes me hate the endings so much. I used to think it was the absurdity and plot holes, but I don't think that's it any more. They don't help, but it's not it.

It's the sense that everything I did was undermined. Any satisfaction of victory was stolen from me at the last moment.

The Reapers were an absolute evil. I needed to destroy them. That was one thing I knew for sure. But at the end, I find out they're actually not. Their methods are horrific and their logic misguided, but their intentions are actually noble. In fact, they've apparently made tons of sacrifice to enforce their cycle.

It leaves me deflated at the end. There's no epic push for me to finally blow them up. There's no crazy battle. There's just me finding out the ultimate evil isn't so evil and now I can choose 3 ways of resolving it that all have drawbacks.

I think all I ever really wanted was the laziest ending possible. Shepard pew pews his way into the control panel, crucible pew pews reapers so that they win the battle of earth and turn the tide of war, and then shepard pew pews some more in various dlc where they clean out the remaining reaper resistance.

The last thing I needed was to find out my enemy was actually a good guy at heart.

All the endings do have drawbacks, but the control ending seems like the best outcome for everyone overall.

Am I the only one that actually enjoyed the ending? (I waited until extended cut so maybe that helped). :confused:

It wasn't at all what I expected, but it definitely provided closure and gave me the answers I was looking for. And in the end I achieved my goal - I defeated the Repears and saved the galaxy.

My first choice was control because I couldn't bare the thought of more destruction, and I thought that everyone was going to be blasted back into the stone-age. I didn't want to see that happen. And then seeing a good Shepard watch over the galaxy for the rest of the time also made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Good thing I wasn't duped or I would have felt terrible. I went back and did the others and thought destroy was good (most realistic outcome), synthesis was bad, and rejection was okay (they could have made this one a little bit longer).

The only thing I think the should have done is had Shepard accidentally activate something when he was reaching up to the console at the end, because yeah... the floor just popping up and sending up didn't make any sense to me there.

But overall, thank you BioWare, for the amazing trilogy.

Last edited:
Okay. I had not touched Mass Effect 3 for several months, to let my mind clean up and forget most of the details and so on. I did a fresh start with my "canon" Paragade Shep, to remind myself how good this game was at the beginning (I still say that despite some problems first 95% of this game is pure gold) and see how the new extended ending fits.

First thing I have to say is that if this would have been the original ending, very few would have complained or atleast backlash would have been much smaller. Except maybe about the synthesis ending, how stupid and suspension of disbelief breaking it is. But anyway...
It was good to see how my crewmates get wounded and picked up by Normandy, followed by heartwarming scene with my LI Tali who I brought along. Very nice. BUT did everyone forget that Harbinger was standing 300 METERS MAX FROM US? With clean line of fire? Normandy lingered there quite a while so are we supposed to believe that Harby didnt try to shoot it even once? If it were some random shuttle, I wouldnt have a problem and Harbie just would not have cared, maybe. But this was a god damn Normandy and Harbinger knows bloody well what it is!

Anyway, to the TIM. Not much was changed and I still dont understand how he was able to control Andersson. Shepard I understand thanks to his Reaper/Cerberus cybernetics, but Andersson is 100% human. Anyway, I still like this scene well enough.

Now the questionable part. I am dissapointed that Bioware was so hellbent on keeping the damn Starbrat. But it is a good thing that they did give some exposition, including hints about the Starbrats origin. (An insane AI with God complex who turned on his masters and forced them to follow his "solution". I can buy that, as thats something we have suspected about Reapers all along) Overall its more fleshed out. Still, his existence renders Sovereign in Mass Effect 1 meaningless!

As the dialog went on I noticed that I can tell Starbrat to go fuck himself! Holy crap! And thats what I did first without second thought, resulting in the reject ending. It kinda fell flat, there should have been more to it like vids of people trying to win conventionally but ultimately losing. But it was a good addition. Next I was about to try the Destruction ending, but as I was walking towards the tubes I turned around and shot the Starbrat for shits and giggles. I had no idea this would also trigger the reject ending! Fell from my chair from laughter! Well played Bioware! But anyway, Destruction ending was huge improvement over original and Galaxy wasnt left in such hopeless state, Joker didnt become a deserter nor did they become stranded anywhere, for long anyway.

There is still the question how it damages synthetics and electronics. A huge ass EMP or equivalent? All fixable damage, and Quarians probably do not bother fixing the Geth because their alliance was still new and unstable, easier that way and I can buy that. But why EDI is unrepairable? (meaning killed?)

Havent tried the Control yet, I leave that to my other "renegon" control freak Shepard. And I refuse to try the Synthesis completely because of how retarded it is. How the hell Crucible (a powersource) and Catalyst (Device to control Mass Relays/channel energy through them) is capable to turn every organic and synthetic life into hybrids with glowing tattoos? Its BS, pure and simple.

Anyway, I do applaud Bioware for making this. It does not restore my faith on the company, but atleast I no longer write the whole Mass Effect serie off completely. (depends on how much weight they put on the Synthesis thing, does that become "canon" on future games and so on) But it is a huge improvement over original and considering the circumstances that is good enough for me.

Last edited:
^Agreed, and though I'd probably still buy any future Mass Effect game or DLC day 1/week 1, if I find out the synthesis ending becomes canon then it's off and i'm jumping on the hate wagon for good.

Anyway, to the TIM. Not much was changed and I still dont understand how he was able to control Andersson. Shepard I understand thanks to his Reaper/Cerberus cybernetics, but Andersson is 100% human. Anyway, I still like this scene well enough.
Well, I'm guessing those implants you see TIM getting towards the end of the game have the same ability as Sovereign's tech. As far as we know, Saren was completely organic and yet became indoctrinated in the first game.

^Agreed, and though I'd probably still buy any future Mass Effect game or DLC day 1/week 1, if I find out the synthesis ending becomes canon then it's off and i'm jumping on the hate wagon for good.

Well nothing in Mass Effect has ever been considered cannon. BioWare has been careful to avoid that in novels, comics and various tie-ins to the games. They want everyone's Shepard story to be "right." However EA may end up disolving the studio (and almost certainly will at some point) and choosing a cannon ending just to continue the series and make more money. If that happens the ending chosen will most likely be anything but synthesis as it doesn't really work with regard to future games.

Back