• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Mass Effect 2 - thoughts, opinions?

I think ME1 appealed to a lot of people due to its RPG elements. They've really watered down the RPG elements to the point where it's little more than a tactical shooter, so naturally you're going to lose a lot of fans. I know I'll probably pass this one over.

You're going to pass?

Every complaint I had with the first game seems to have been remedied. But not only that, ME 2 just looks and feels better.

And wtf are people talking about - the role-playing elements? They're still there. It's exactly as it was in ME 1? Did some people think that Mass Effect was a hardcore roleplaying game - I guess they did. LOL! Hey, you know what, at the time of Mass Effect's release there were people complaining about how dumbed down the game was... so here we go again.

Oh for god's sake just buy it - it's an amazing game. You can tell within five minutes that this is one of the best games of the year.
 
Thanks for the heads up about the Cerberus Network thing, guys. I'll be sure to enable that in-game and not from the website. I checked UPS tracking and they delivered it to my door over an hour ago. I've got to sit through one more class and I'll be back home to play...
 
Thanks for the heads up about the Cerberus Network thing, guys. I'll be sure to enable that in-game and not from the website. I checked UPS tracking and they delivered it to my door over an hour ago. I've got to sit through one more class and I'll be back home to play...

Registering your game, before you do anything, seems like a good idea as well. You do that at the social network site, of course.

EDIT: No, don't play the game when you get home. Study. Study, my young grasshopper.
 
I just created a thread at the official forum about incorrectly entering the Cerebus code thing - it'll drop off the board in about a second though, because there's so much activity there.

It matters. I'm not paying another $15 for another Cerberus Network code when this was was just fine and was accepted at the site. That simply isn't good enough in game at the menu which is stupid.

The CN is going to be nifty and I'd like to have everything I paid upfront for. Please link me to that thread you made.

The response I just got from EA support's email was not promising: A copy and paste about Dragon Age that couldn't have been further removed from what I emailed them about.

Unreal. Not feeling confident about getting this fixed any time soon.


What little I've played of the game so far is awesome.
 
Been playing for the last 5 hours. Got the CE for PC. Im at the Omega Station working on getting the doc to join me. Just taking my time. I think this game is a product of perfection. Must be just like when god farts. Utter perfection.
 
You'll enjoy it. Please learn from of our "mistakes" to avoid any needless headaches and an asinine amount of time wasted.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/106/index/761680/1#764767

I don't know if this is the thread Wabe was talking about or not but you can see it's quite active. I'm Eric5676 in that thread.

LOL!

There are now about seven such threads over there. Everybody's making the same mistake. Hey at least it's good to know I'm not alone in this.

EDIT: Aha! So your real name is Eric! From now on I'm going to be calling you Eric.
 
Overall I like the game so far, but I am annoyed like others at the inventory system and that it keeps telling me I completed a mission, like I am playing some crappy console game.

Why do they need to say mission complete? Not sure, it doesn't give you any useful information except to remind you that you are playing a console game. Really Bioware did a lot better on Dragon age, and I wish they put the same level of thought for the PC version of Mass Effect 2 that they put into that game.
 
The one thing I thought was kind of silly is that if you equip any of the special armor then you can't remove your helmet - all cutscenes will even show your character with the helmet fully on. You can't see the character's face... at all.

It's a minor complaint. I'm pretty much gobsmacked by the game otherwise.
 
I am excited to play when I get home. I hope the lack of inventory system and gear simplification doesnt bother me too much. At least I'm hearing about it before playing it, rather than screwing around looking for that stuff in game.
 
Registering your game, before you do anything, seems like a good idea as well. You do that at the social network site, of course.

EDIT: No, don't play the game when you get home. Study. Study, my young grasshopper.

Will do. Register I mean...I've already done my assignments for the week :cool:
 
Just finished installing the Digital Deluxe edition from D2D. However, I'm not going launch it or view any of the bonus content until this weekend so I can play uninterrupted for 2 straight days. :D
 
Okay so is anyone having problems with logging into EA online? It's just stick at "Please Wait..."

I guess maybe EA is just having server problems?
 
Yet another dipshit who hates console games and will pin anything he doesn't like in a game on consoles. Did you seriously run out of things to bitch about this morning or what?

Yeah, but do you have to call him that? All he did was say what he thought about the game, guy. There's no need to use words like that.
 
I am enjoying the please wait screen from trying to log on to the Cerberus network. Every once in awhile I get to see a timeout message.
 
I like the game. And I love new inventory system. The one from ME1 was horrible - most of stuff I picked was vendor trash. Most of weapon/armor mods were useless, and even on Insanity I was able to do it without using most of the stuff I found. It was a chore to browse my things, find the one really useful, and sell the rest. I'm glad they solved it

And yeah, they could have add removable helmets to special armors, but it's really small problem. Now I'm enjoying this game slowly, just as all the great games should be. No rush, explore all, do all sidequests and so on. Rushing through thing like ME2 is like going to MacDonald and not to some good Italian slow food restaurant :)
 
Wouldn't know. As usual EA's activation system, redeem codes website is non functional.... I should have known what a cluster fuck it would be trying to play the damn game on release day. EA can kiss my ass.
 
Wouldn't know. As usual EA's activation system, redeem codes website is non functional.... I should have known what a cluster fuck it would be trying to play the damn game on release day. EA can kiss my ass.

I hope your situation gets sorted out quickly. Paying customers deserve the proper treatment. Just be patient though, mistakes happen every now and then. I've read so many posts from people who have clearly pirated this game that it's beyond absurd.
 
Indeed. My opinions at this point are they can lick my sack. Did they not test this? Jesus.
 
Ok, now the issue has just solved itself out of nowhere.

They had some server issues and such on their end. All is well now.

Now the fun begins! :D
 
Last edited:
So when I get home, problem already solved? Nice. How big is the download for the new character?
 
500 meg-ish. I keep hearing conflicting reports that he's been yanked, but I got him after unlock and am still using him
 
I'm utterly blown away by this game. I don't know what people are complaining about.
 
I'm utterly blown away by this game. I don't know what people are complaining about.

+1, I feel the same way here :)

No matter how much of a AAA title it is just like with anything else you just cannot please every single person. This so far for me has GOTY all over it!
 
I'm kinda disappointed by the combination of sprint/action as the same key, the lack of inventory, and the removal of medigel, and some other stuff I probably forgot, but oh well. I'm a few hours in and it has more than surpassed my expectations. GOTY material for sure.
 
I'm kinda disappointed by the combination of sprint/action as the same key, the lack of inventory, and the removal of medigel, and some other stuff I probably forgot, but oh well. I'm a few hours in and it has more than surpassed my expectations. GOTY material for sure.

Medigel isn't totally gone, it's just used to revive instead of heal since everyone has regenerating health. Not having an inventory isn't too bad, but it's better than the cluttered mess the inventory was in the first game.

I've played a few hours and I'm blown away by it. I'm just taking my time talking to as many characters as I can and getting all the info I can. One thing I didn't realize was that only soldiers can use ARs, so I don't have a chance to use the Collectors Assault Rifle for myself. I'll probably start up another character as a Soldier later on.
 
Huge mass effect 1 fan, not liking it so much at this point.

-it seems EXTREMELY dumbed down compared to ME1. The loot, the leveling, etc all suck. ME1 faltered because items dropped too frequently and they were all generic so it became a huge chore to sell them. They should have gone more the route of Borderlands/Torchlight/etc and used common/uncommon/rare drops.

-having ammo is stupid, especially when it's not made credible within the context of the gameworld. what, did all the infinite ammo technology from mass effect 1 disappear? they get rid of LOOT MANAGEMENT to let you worry about AMMO? Mass Effect is no longer an RPG, it's an action game with conversations. This is what happens when development is done with moronic console kiddies in mind.

-the changed control scheme with cover/run/interact bound to the same key is dumb. Because they did that, you can't configure the keys to be like ME1

-shepard feels like he's skating around everywhere. something in the camera sway (or lack thereof) is profoundly off.

-I'll give them credit for putting up solid graphics and ATI some credit since 5970+5870 trifire is seamless on day 1. 60fps vsynch locked with occasional stutters and it pushes the cards HARD even clocked at 900/1200. If the area is at all geometrically complex afterburner shows utilization in the high 90's.

-protip: you can force AA by renaming the exe to UT3.exe (edit: i just discovered this was why my cards were being pushed so hard. on the first planet you touch down on, it can barely maintain 60fps with 2xAA and all three cards firing 100%. looks like adaptive AA is the culprit. make sure to only go with the lowest AA or this game will rape your cards. It was ridiculous, they were pulling as much power as they do during furmark.)

Overall, I was hoping they'd improve on the RPG elements of Mass Effect 1, making leveling more complex and greatly increasing the effort they put into loot. Instead they went the opposite direction to please 12 year old Xbox live mouthbreathers.
 
Last edited:
Mass Effect 1 didn't really have a complicated leveling system either though - indeed, at launch, it was heavily criticized by hardcore RPGers as being 'an RPG light'. So really I'm not sure why people are suddenly saying that ME 1 was so hardcore.

My experience with the original Mass Effect was that the gameplay at the start of the game felt exactly like the gameplay at the end of the game. In other words, I never felt that my character was really all that profoundly different.

I mean, so what if there are fewer choices to make at level up in ME 2 - it made no difference in the first game when the choices were there... I hardly see how it matters now.

In comparison, when I played Risen, I felt that my character was vastly different near the conclusion of the game. My character had indeed changed profoundly and I could genuinely feel that difference.
 
I guess my experience was different from yours then Wabe. When I first touched down on Eden Prime my Shepard couldn't even hold his sniper rifle straight, with the reticle bouncing wildly around anytime I tried to shoot anything. By the end, he was running and gunning, one-shotting giant turrets. Correct me if I'm wrong (I never bought Risen because the demo sucked), but doesn't Risen throw out fixed character classes? I wouldn't expect a Mass Effect character to change too drastically since you pick your specialization at the start, whereas in Risen you were specializing throughout the game. It's not like ME1 was a hardcore RPG, in fact that was one of the areas it needed improvement in. Usually you expect those improvements in a sequel instead of everything being made worse.
 
Usually you expect those improvements in a sequel instead of everything being made worse.

My feeling is that everything has been made better.

The regenerating health is a relief after that nonsense from the first game, and the limited ammunition, for me, is a welcome addition, since it forces you to conserve - there's really no reason to run out if you're paying attention.

I also found the inventory management system of the original game to be overly fussy.

The quests are better in ME 2, the graphics are better, the animations are vastly superior. Combat is ridiculously fun while playing as a soldier. It's just a better game all around, in my opinion.

I get the feeling that the people who loved the first game to death are going to find problems with this second game, and that the people who thought that the first game was very, very good, but not The Second Coming, are probably going to like the second game more.

Myself, I'm trying to go as slowly as I possibly can, because for me this is a very, very special RPG - games like this come along once every eighteen months if you're lucky.

(And yes I agree that the demo for Risen sucked.)
 
So you guys who like it - is it owning you right now? I went for four hours straight tonight after coming home from work. ME 2 has surpassed my expectations completely.

(If Assassin's Creed 2 ends up doing likewise then I'll be really, really happy.)
 
Back
Top