Marvel's Spider-Man for PS4

monkeymagick

[H]News
For all you Spidey fans, earlier in the week Sony demonstrated a storyline mission in the upcoming Marvel's Spider-Man title. Developed by Insomniac Games, Sony, and Marvel, the game appears to be another open-world action game. Only a planned release date of 2018 was announced.

The last Spider-Man game to garner lots of praise and my own interest was Spider-Man 2 over 10 years ago. However, that previous title was based on the movie, this current one is based on an entirely new Spider-Man in its own universe with familiar characters. Although it graphically looks mighty impressive for a console game, there is environmental interaction in the combat, you can throw bricks at enemies-Yah! It remains to be seen if there's enough variety in the combat mechanics from keeping it fresh.

Check out the video.

One last thing, avoid the old Spider-Man 2 game for the PC, it's a travesty besides Bruce Campbell being a delight.

This isn't the Spider-Man you've met before, or seen in a movie. This is an experienced Peter Parker who's more masterful at fighting big crime in New York City. At the same time, he's struggling to balance his chaotic personal life and career while the fate of millions of New Yorkers rest upon his shoulders.

Last edited:
Looked great but man o man how much of this game is press this or that to watch cinematic?

Looks cool... Some of the previous open world Spidey games were ok... they got the swinging around part down, but the worlds were pretty empty and the story was pretty short. Combat was pretty meh, not up to Arkham levels.

This looks like it could resolve some of the combat issues, keep the swinging and movement coolness (requirement) and we just need to see if the open world is worth it other than for an hour or 2 of swinging giggles. The environment stuff looks cool, though usually this stuff either gets ignored cause its too situational its just easier to button mash in most situations. It gives it some flavor at least.

I don't really mind games like these, if the price is right and I get that "spidey" experience for a few hours that's ok as well.

My original favorites were always the PSone original 1&2 games then the PS2 2 for the movie. Most of the PC ones really got boring. Way too many quicktime or timed missions and as others have mentioned not enough content. There were a few exceptions but not many.

Looked great but man o man how much of this game is press this or that to watch cinematic?
I have the same concern. I was really getting into it until that long winded part during the last half that was nothing but QTE. Really, how hard is it to just allow the player to navigate these situations themselves?

Shattered Dimensions was a very good Spider-Man game that came out a few years ago, I don't own a PS4 but hopefully this will be good and they will make Spidey games for XB1 and PC.

Not a huge spider-man fan but this looks too good to pass up. Combat looks very Batmanish which isn't a bad thing at all.

Yeah that's what I thought instantly was Arkham style combat. I might give it a shot... at $20.

This is kind of what I was hoping for. The Arkham games have some of the most entertaining stealth sections, I was hoping for a Spider-Man in that style of gameplay.

I have the same concern. I was really getting into it until that long winded part during the last half that was nothing but QTE. Really, how hard is it to just allow the player to navigate these situations themselves?

Insomniac said there won't be that much QTE stuff in the game, they did a lot of it for the trailer to make it more "cinematic" and show better.

I think we all know the minefield of movie mishaps for the PC games. I could spend a day or two writing about those. I mostly enjoyed Shattered Dimensions. Graphics were a mixed bag but the Noire levels were awesome. Really was excited about the 2099 stuff but just didn't seem up to par for what it could be. My last favorite was Web Of Shadows. I thought the story was incredible, and hey-Tricia Helfer voicing black cat!. Graphics at moments were good and some cool character cross-overs. The non-stop, redundant combat-button mashing just killed me though. I recently jumped through some hoops to get it running on Win 10 64bit and it still looks good but didn't replay for very long before I got bored or had some crashes. Marvel games in general seem to have a troubled history with their games on PC. It's a shame really. I also never forget the button mapping nightmare that was IRON MAN and how Ultimate Alliance was abandoned a few weeks after the re-release. It really sucks about Gameloft's pay to win strategy with Android because some of their stuff is a lot of fun and would be great on PC. Oh well.

Insomniac said there won't be that much QTE stuff in the game, they did a lot of it for the trailer to make it more "cinematic" and show better.
They still mention huge "set piece" moments like the one shown in the demo will use them, though. If they want to show off a "cinematic" moment then I'd prefer they just make it a damned cutscene. With QTE I'm focusing on what button I need to press next instead of the action that is going on, so the whole exercise is wasted anyway.

Back