Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

No, you did express yourself just fine. But you clearly haven't considered either of our points or watched the Jimquisition video posted. So I would say that it's you that haven't heard us.
What you are being sold is a tactic to make more money. And Capcom clearly realizes that there are many people like you that share your sentiment that they are willing to pay more money for content that should have been included with the base game in the first place. And you also entirely missed the point that every added character isn't an added character. It was designed from the beginning with balance in mind and divided from the base game so that people like you would pay more for it.

If you can justify paying 50% more on top of the base cost of the base game in order to get 25% more characters, that's on you. But even if I agreed with you, and believed the lie that the game makers needed more money to create these extra characters (surprise, they don't), then their pricing should be in line with how much the rest of the game costs. If 26 characters costed you $60. Than an additional character should only be $2.50. So you're already overpaying by over double. If you buy two characters then I suppose you're "only" overpaying by exactly double. But even that division doesn't make sense, because then we're just glossing over the cost it took to make the game engine and all the other parts of the game that aren't purely character assets. So really even the valuation of $2.50 a character is too high.

But it's fine, I don't expect people to truly see the economics of this and understand that they're getting sold a product that it's producers can sell you twice. And that all of these "splits" are artificial. Exactly like the other examples you listed: BlazBlu Cross Tag and Injustice 2. It's just you've put your own personal line in the sand of what's "acceptable" to you and what isn't. When really none of it should be tolerated.

I'm subscribed to Jim's Youtube channel and watch Jimquisition videos the day they came out. Doesn't mean I have to agree with every word he says on every topic. Though, again, we're not talking about whether or not a company can afford to do these characters as free updates. I grew up as a big fighting game fan in the hayday of arcades and when consoles started taking over the casual fighting game scene. I remember the requirement of having to pay full price for new versions of SF2 and SF3. I remember hearing about arcades getting updates that would never make it to consoles because the publisher didn't want to put out a new version. You want me to care about spending a few bucks on characters after growing up in that era? Good luck with that. You're right, I have bounds of what I consider "acceptable". Value is 100% a personal judgement. It is not an objective measurement. The shitty and anemic releases of MvCI and SF5? Not remotely worth it to me and MvCI continued to be not worth it as even with DLC only a few characters get my attention. I still haven't picked up SF5AE. I probably will at some point, but we'll see. I was sold on Injustice 2's base roster and the DLC has only made it so much better. Say what you want about companies not needing the money but I guarantee you that the money pouring in from the FGC and casual fans is exactly the reason why the genre is at a point where it is nearly as exciting as it was in the 90s. Even with Capcom's constant fuck ups the genre is doing amazing.

I'm subscribed to Jim's Youtube channel and watch Jimquisition videos the day they came out. Doesn't mean I have to agree with every word he says on every topic. Though, again, we're not talking about whether or not a company can afford to do these characters as free updates. I grew up as a big fighting game fan in the hayday of arcades and when consoles started taking over the casual fighting game scene. I remember the requirement of having to pay full price for new versions of SF2 and SF3. I remember hearing about arcades getting updates that would never make it to consoles because the publisher didn't want to put out a new version. You want me to care about spending a few bucks on characters after growing up in that era? Good luck with that. You're right, I have bounds of what I consider "acceptable". Value is 100% a personal judgement. It is not an objective measurement. The shitty and anemic releases of MvCI and SF5? Not remotely worth it to me and MvCI continued to be not worth it as even with DLC only a few characters get my attention. I still haven't picked up SF5AE. I probably will at some point, but we'll see. I was sold on Injustice 2's base roster and the DLC has only made it so much better. Say what you want about companies not needing the money but I guarantee you that the money pouring in from the FGC and casual fans is exactly the reason why the genre is at a point where it is nearly as exciting as it was in the 90s. Even with Capcom's constant fuck ups the genre is doing amazing.

It wasn't the money that is pouring in that made the game popular.
Or are you stating, that if each of these companies gave all of this content all at once as part of the base game, people wouldn't appreciate it and therefore wouldn't be interested in playing it as much?

I've been around at least as long as you have then, in regards to be alive and at least playing these fighting games at the very least casually when they all first came out (I have very vivid memories of playing Samurai Showdown in an Arcade for the first time on an imported cabinet. And also being in Japan in the 90's and being able to play II Super Turbo and Dark Stalkers before they came to the states). They don't need extra money to create this content. The just want it. Plain and simple.

And if there wasn't already money in it, they wouldn't create any of these games in the first place. None of these games ultimately are for you, more than they are for the company as an engine to make profit. Which is fair enough. Economic principles of course being that the more satisfaction that is achieved from a given product, the more profit can be extracted from it (and that is, in the case of game, the reason and the function to make it fun). What we're really discussing is what is "enough" money. Perhaps a waste of time, and all semantics.

But it is indeed brilliant that they have found more ways to charge more for the same amount of content. And also have people be 'okay' with it, seeing it as at worst as the lesser of two evils and at best like you that they should be thankful for it.

The fuck are you talking about? This has nothing to do with things like loot boxes or microtransactions. I didn't say that AAA games are too expensive or that they can't make money, I'm saying that them charging for extra characters (aka an entirely separate budget) seems fair given the cost of making each one. I have no problem paying for well made additional characters to a good fighting game (MvCI need not apply). Its better than getting nothing at all after release, because they sure as hell wouldn't be free, or going back to the days of paying full price for for a new game with 4 extra characters and some mechanical changes. I did that enough with SF2 and 3. MvCI is a complete shit show when it comes to its roster, but the concept of extra characters as paid DLC is fine. Like all DLC models it depends entirely on how it is used. Blazblue Cross Tag locking nearly half its roster behind paid DLC? Complete fbullshit. On the flip side, Injustice 2 handled it pretty well. Great base roster with some fun and unique DLC characters (and also Sub-Zero and Raiden for some reason).

Nope, fuck em....my original point stands, if they are going to engage in these grubby nickel and diming tactics then I wait for the $10 GOTYE. There are plenty of examples of fighter games in the past that managed to deliver a complete experience from the outset, just because Capcom pioneered this bullshit of full price releases for a couple of extra characters isn't a valid justification for condoning this even worse practice of withholding characters for the purposes of $DLC.

It wasn't the money that is pouring in that made the game popular.
Or are you stating, that if each of these companies gave all of this content all at once as part of the base game, people wouldn't appreciate it and therefore wouldn't be interested in playing it as much?

I've been around at least as long as you have then, in regards to be alive and at least playing these fighting games at the very least casually when they all first came out (I have very vivid memories of playing Samurai Showdown in an Arcade for the first time on an imported cabinet. And also being in Japan in the 90's and being able to play II Super Turbo and Dark Stalkers before they came to the states). They don't need extra money to create this content. The just want it. Plain and simple.

And if there wasn't already money in it, they wouldn't create any of these games in the first place. None of these games ultimately are for you, more than they are for the company as an engine to make profit. Which is fair enough. Economic principles of course being that the more satisfaction that is achieved from a given product, the more profit can be extracted from it (and that is, in the case of game, the reason and the function to make it fun). What we're really discussing is what is "enough" money. Perhaps a waste of time, and all semantics.

But it is indeed brilliant that they have found more ways to charge more for the same amount of content. And also have people be 'okay' with it, seeing it as at worst as the lesser of two evils and at best like you that they should be thankful for it.

Let's be frank here, there's no such thing as "enough money" to a big publisher. I fear the day that Bamco or Capcom decide to follow the rest of the industry and give players the "choice" of engaging in recurrent spending and them proclaim they are giving away characters for "free" instead.

Let's be frank here, there's no such thing as "enough money" to a big publisher. I fear the day that Bamco or Capcom decide to follow the rest of the industry and give players the "choice" of engaging in recurrent spending and them proclaim they are giving away characters for "free" instead.

That's precisely what I've been saying all along. And all of this is unacceptable.

Back