March Madness: 2011

I'm just running my two GTX 580's. They are beasts in GPUGRID.
I'd say so! :)

i'm afraid i must throttle down systems and pull a few offline. I will finish the month but not at full capacity also congrats to Dookey on the future mowing and to the rest who will follow him
Bummer. I was enjoying that race at the top! But no matter what the capacity thanks for the continued help!

Alright Alright they are not that difficult for the ones I posted but, I do have the way to join PRP-PSP which that one is hard. haha

I also have been down my main computer. My 1TB drive is throwing errors and I am trying to back everything up on it. I turned of BOINC for now until I can get the machine stable without it freezing every time it tries to transfer. I'm not sure if this drive will be able to be formatted to be fixed. :(

bummer with hd´s going down, sometimes a live linux-cd can help.
other than that untick write optimizations ? goes slower then but less errors if one is lucky.

btw nice info for a newb,thanks folks.

Well I have the TB and Windows is installed on a separate 250GB. So I can transfer with windows its just some of the files are corrupted. All my really important files are transfered, Just my movies now. I wished BOINC would be okay but, I don't want to risk it.

Ahh,similar to how I have it,got it you don´t want to risk anything.
btw just bought another tb-disk dirt cheap,a green wd just for storage.

In Spinhenge, is anyone getting projects that keep increasing in time and the percentages don't move after they get to around 50% or so. Its happened to me multiple times over the last three days. I have been aborting the project(s) and getting fresh ones and some seem to work and others don't.

It only happened once last week, and i think it was because i was rendering at the same time.

It only happened once last week, and i think it was because i was rendering at the same time.

Okay. That might explain some of it because I was playing some games at the same time. The odd thing is it was not happening to me before.

The timing system is not perfect. It will count up and not say that any work is being done. However, it is like a Windows transfer it guesses how long it should take based on past WUs.

Yeah, I think I had about 3 or 4 that did something similar last week, so I had to abort them as well - but they seemed to be isolated and I didn't think anything of it until now... Bad batch of WU, perhaps?

The timing system is not perfect. It will count up and not say that any work is being done. However, it is like a Windows transfer it guesses how long it should take based on past WUs.
I was thinking that, but when I hit 10 hours with no progress, I decided enough was enough and hit abort! With an average time of about 30 min/WU on my quads, that was beyond a prediction issue... :D

Just upgraded my home server to an X6 1090T, so that's two more cores for Spinhenge. I'll be posting the X4 940 in the FS forum soon.

Wow. What a great monthly race. Sazan's adding more D, Dookey takes the top spot, we are consistently doing 100K+ PPD, and look at Defex's production! Great stuff everyone!

Also welcome to Dan. Dan if you are on the boards drop in and say hi. Thanks for helping!

9 days left in the month and we should easily get to 33rd place. Not bad since we started something like 120th place! Crunch on!

Wow. What a great monthly race. Sazan's adding more D, Dookey takes the top spot, we are consistently doing 100K+ PPD, and look at Defex's production! Great stuff everyone!

Also welcome to Dan. Dan if you are on the boards drop in and say hi. Thanks for helping!

9 days left in the month and we should easily get to 33rd place. Not bad since we started something like 120th place! Crunch on!

Hi :p

I just updated my name on there to drmerc. I also added a second PC but it wont get any units to complete. "got 0 new tasks" :confused:

It takes a while to get cpu tasks, you can trick it if you dont mind sitting and waiting till the "deferred communications" is down to about 5 seconds and then pressing the update button.
you probably wont have to do that more than once, just to get it going

for some reason it keeps asking for GPU when you are not even using it, but only asks for CPU quite rarely.

Going to try and fire up my X6 24/7 till the end of the month if I can get the errors from spitting back at me. I think I got to rerun the benchmark because I changed my clock speed. I am assuming this is causing some of my problems.

d'oh my top machine got a little surprise from OCZ this morning, in the form of an unbootable vertex drive.
im just reinstalling all my crap :(

MOAR D coming. Sold my 980X rig to buy an SR-2. Gaining 4 more threads at slightly less MHZ, but still a gain. Also, I bought a used GTX 470 for $160 shipped, damn good bang for the buck. Overall, increase in production for me. Plus increase for Sazan since he bought my 980X rig. Win, win.

darned, you guys is impossible :)

assuming/afraid off that gtx 470 goes to gpugrid, no ?
and I´m down there,crash and burn on my second card so I put gpugrid on hold,was fun for a few days basking in the sun though :D

You and me both Eric. I need another quad at the very least!

Looks like we have a three way battle for the Spinhenge lead!

Also welcome to jimbowdang and Yamaki. Each producing a very respectable 7K PPD. Nice work!

I will be throwing more at Spinhenge shortly. Time to finish strong!

I had to shut down the GTX 295 running Primegrid for the time being. Last night I swapped the hardware into a mATX case, and it was too much heat for the little tower. I have a huge list of parts swaps to perform among six(!) of my boxen, so it should be back up again as soon as all of that's done.

My production is going to drop a bit as I tear down the 980X rig for shipment to Sazan, transfer the 2600K to my watercooling setup, and then setup the SR-2 I bought. I'll most likely miss out on about a half day of production and lose my lead in Spinhenge.

I see that a minor new version of BOINC (6.10.60) was released two days ago. Any idea what changed?

I'm currently adding four hex-cores to Spinhenge.

I'm down a Hex until I get some HSF's in for my SR-2 this week. Overall though a good month for the Commando's.

I see that a minor new version of BOINC (6.10.60) was released two days ago. Any idea what changed?

I'm currently adding four hex-cores to Spinhenge.

I can't get the new version to run, it errors out. I'm sticking with .58 for now.

I can't get the new version to run, it errors out. I'm sticking with .58 for now.

I installed it on a machine that was missing BOINC, and it works fine (x86 version). I don't see any obvious differences from the previous version. I can't find a changelog anywhere.

What HSFs are you getting for the SR-2?

I ordered 2 Cogage True's with the bolt thru mounting kit for 1366.

I'm down a Hex until I get some HSF's in for my SR-2 this week. Overall though a good month for the Commando's.
Its been a great month for the Commando's! You guys rock.

Sazan/Dookey - Congrats on the new boxen. Im sure you will put them to good use!

Other minor notes:
- Congrats to ArgFan on hitting 1M BOINC points in World Community Grid. That is quite an accomplishment.
- We are about to grab another spot in Muon1. It looks like Razor, Briliu, and Mr. Pedantic have been keeping us in an upward direction over there. Good work all. The next spot is only 26M away, maybe we can get that one next month. This would give us some nice points in the Vault.
- Out work in Spinhenge this month has given us enough points in the Physical Science category to overtake Ukraine and get to the 15th spot.http://www.dc-vault.com/showcat.php?cat=1 :)

Congrats to everyone for making this the most successful monthly push by far!
It is great that we seem to keep getting more and more people when we have a dedicated monthly push.

And now the fun part of DC, where to focus next. :D Most likely we will not have such a turnout as last month however, anyone up for another push?
Metallicafan stated that muon1 is a good option for a push since it does take a while for ranks to change in that project.

My suggestions would be Seventeen or Bust, OGR-27 or Einstein@home.

Seventeen or Bust:
A math based project that is trying to prove that 78557 is the lowest Sierpinski Number. This project would be a good focus because of the low DC-Vault score as well a break from the mold of BOINC (sometimes it is fun to setup something new).

OGR-27:
A math based project that is trying to find the Optimal Golomb Ruler which allows for the least amount of has marks to calculate all of the numbers within a range. Currently they are on 27. I think this project would be a good focus because of the low DC-Vault score and the program is very simple to run. It is currently still CPU only.

Einstein@home:
A physical science base project that searches for gravitational wave from pulsars. This project is BOINC based for all you BOINC lovers, ;) as well as having a decent DC-Vault score. I chose to add this to the list due low team position. We are currently at 299. I would love if we could get this project sub 100 at some point. A difficult jump from 4 to 21 million points however, it has both CPU and GPU clients.

My first choice would be Einstein@home due to its CPU and GPU WUs as well as a BOINC based project that we can have a strong push in.

Einstein at Home sounds good for my part since it does have both cpu and gpu running for them.

Last edited:
I vote for Einstein@home. As for seventeen or bust... I hate colbert way to much to want to find his number

I don't think I've ever run Einstein@home :eek: so that sounds good to me. I'm putting one quad back on Muon1/DPAD, and I'll probably put something more on GIMPS.

I vote for Einstein@home. As for seventeen or bust... I hate colbert way to much to want to find his number

The man who stated that it was the lowest Sierpinski Number was John Selfridge who recently past away. Colbert was never actually a part of the search. I just wanted to make sure everyone didn't think Steve Colbert actually ran the project. I think Einstein@home is a much better choice for a push.

SazanEyes said:
I don't think I've ever run Einstein@home so that sounds good to me. I'm putting one quad back on Muon1/DPAD, and I'll probably put something more on GIMPS.

Really? I thought you'd have ran it before. It was actually the first project that got me hooked on DC. I remember starting out with 2 P4s and trying to get to a daily output of 1k.

I also am starting to run some test WUs for Einstein@home looks like on an i7 920 they take about 8 hours per WU and for a GTX460 just over an hour for GPU WUs.

Started Einstein before I went to bed last night,so hard to say.
Put the gpu´s at 1024/768 and medium settings,they take more than an hour at lower clocked 460,have them at 1700 mhz.Looks like they at least don´t fail looking at the log.

Tried milkyway and it lagged too much,at least Einstein doesn´t,meaning surfing the net,using winamp and maybe youtube while running dc works,good thing :)

Points-wise haven´t got them registred yet,hard to beat gpugrid there,on the other hand Einstein have cpu too.

with the end of the month approaching I think we can safely say we crushed all expectations we had at the beginning of the month and we should end up with approx. 4.5 mil up from almost 700k and bumping from 120th to 33rd place awesome !!

with the end of the month approaching I think we can safely say we crushed all expectations we had at the beginning of the month and we should end up with approx. 4.5 mil up from almost 700k and bumping from 120th to 33rd place awesome !!

Couldnt agree more. This was a great month and we are still going strong in Spinhenge.

Just want to say thanks to everyone who participated once more. Its been a lot of fun to be consistently in the Top 3 producing Spinhenge teams all month. I know some of you might have just been taking a break from F@H but we'd love to have you join a monthly BOINC challenge anytime! Thanks. Crunch Hard!

Back