March Madness: 2011

metallicafan

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - May 2010
For the second year in a row we are presenting March Madness, BOINC style. :) This year we will be organizing a team effort in a BOINC project called Spinhenge@home.

Spinhenge is a BOINC project so it uses the BOINC software that can be downloaded here. Once the software is dowloaded and installed just add the Spinhenge@home project, create an account when prompted and join the HardOCP team.

Currently we are in 120th place in the project with only 698,943 total points. The goal is an additional 1M points by the end of March. So if you have any extra CPU cores come join in on the fun. Thanks! Crunch Hard!

EDIT: It has been brought up by a couple [H]ard crunchers that this project has some problems with Linux. If anyone else has problems please share. Thanks!

Last edited:
I tried adding a client to this project very first WU I got came back computational error. It wouldn't let me download a new WU for this project. I will try later today or tomorrow to join it again. The client is running SETI@home fine currently with no problems.

When I added one box to Spinhenge, it gave me the "this project may not be compatible with your hardware" message, but I just ignored it and it worked fine. This was on a 32-bit OS. I'm not sure what the limitations of the project are.

i'm sharing my 2600k i moved from folding to WCG so its pulling a couple threads on Spinhenge too

It always says that for Spinhenge, I do not know why because all of their WUs run fine on all windows platforms. I have done XP 32bit, 64bit and Win 7 64bit and have had no problems.

im also posting this on the Spinhenge forums but maybe someone here knows. now all of a sudden im not getting Spinhenge updates and below are the messages:
2/22/2011 11:37:54 AM Spinhenge@home Sending scheduler request: To fetch work.
2/22/2011 11:37:54 AM Spinhenge@home Reporting 27 completed tasks, requesting new tasks for GPU
2/22/2011 11:37:55 AM World Community Grid Finished download of f9ca95297915b75a763cfb410e1ce7f3.dat.gzb
2/22/2011 11:37:58 AM Spinhenge@home Scheduler request completed: got 0 new tasks
2/22/2011 11:37:58 AM Spinhenge@home Message from server: Server error: can't attach shared memory

I got the same error dmaine, seems like the server is down for some of the services, it can be found here. http://spin.fh-bielefeld.de/server_status.php Hopefully, they will get it up and running soon!

Also, I don't know if we've met dmaine so welcome to the Commandos! I see you have done some work in WCG as well. :)

i did the christmas race in 2010 and once i hit 4 million folding i decided to change over to WCG full time for a while

Welcome dmaine! That is quite an OC you have on that SandyBridge! :D Nice work.

I'll be moving my i7 @3.0GHz over this weekend. I would guess that Eric already has his i7 moved over, and Razor how many quads are you crunching Spinhenge with!

If anyone else wants to join we could still use a few more CPUs! Thanks for considering.

Well I just realized that it doesn't like linux and thus is why I get computation error when trying to do a wu. I have been plugging away at an old fave though seti@home. I will try to see if I have some windoze power I can spare.

once these bigadv finish im bumping the OC up and ill throw my SR-2 into the mix as well as my x5650

Well, seeing as my 2 CPU clients aren't keeping me from being mowed on F@H on a regular basis (I've slipped from 137 to 142 in the past week!) my quest to break into the top 100 there is done for a bit... Guess it's time to come back and join the Commandos! I'll switch everything over this weekend...

itsarickjames, ahh that makes sense then has anyone else tested it out on linux? I do not have any linux boxen right now to test out to make sure it doesn't work.

Metallicafan, could you add to the main page that it doesn't like linux very much for this project.

mashtub651, :eek: Now thats alot of power for March Madness. If I am correct it will be the first SR-2 on the [H]ard Commandos! (We are much poorer than the folding team :p)

Jathanis, Welcome back to the Commandos, it is a tough race to try and get to the top 100 in F@H, our output is a little less however with GPUs and more people joining we are becoming fairly strong! :D

I'm going to contiune to work on POEM till the end of Feb. and then I'll throw the Sandy Bridge and Gulftown onto Spin starting the 1st of March.

Jathanis, Welcome back to the Commandos, it is a tough race to try and get to the top 100 in F@H, our output is a little less however with GPUs and more people joining we are becoming fairly strong! :D
Yeah, I thought I might have a chance with two old quads running big units, and for a while 16K-18K was moving me up from in the 170s to about 140, but now after a couple months, I can see the writing on the wall, and I just can't afford to go SR-2, which is what's really needed to get into the top 100... At least here I'm still top 10, according to Free-DC, and can do my damned best to stay there! :cool:

I just think it would be cool to try out another project see how the hardware runs on it

Jathanis, yeah you still are top 10 with us however, I am doing my best to knock you down to at least 11. :p (Just about 5 million points behind you though haha)

mashtub651, I agree I always wanted a SR-2 but with college to pay for I am in no situation to buy one, I really wanted to see what numbers it would put up in other DC projects. That and me wanting to watch as I have 12 threads running 12 seperate WUs at the same time :drools:

does this seem right

woo hoo, in the top 10 of spinhenge. I'm finally in the top 10 of a HardOCP team, granted there are only 14 members :)

Metallicafan, could you add to the main page that it doesn't like linux very much for this project.

mashtub651, :eek: Now thats alot of power for March Madness. If I am correct it will be the first SR-2 on the [H]ard Commandos! (We are much poorer than the folding team :p)

I added it to the main post. Welcome mashtub651. Im excited to see what these Sandy Bridge CPUs and an SR-2 setup can do in a BOINC project.

Jathanis - been a long time man. good to hear from you.

Okay I'm in. Been crunching away at QMC for a while now....... time for a change (other than F@H of course :D)

Jathanis, yeah you still are top 10 with us however, I am doing my best to knock you down to at least 11. :p (Just about 5 million points behind you though haha)
Bring it on! I just added the 4870 back on Collatz to push for 10M on that one, and I have a pair of 9600GSO/9800GTX+ cards that I've been dying to try at GPUGrid! I'm sure you catch me at some point, but it'll be fun to see how long I can hold you off! Besides, if I can catch BigJ911, for example, before you catch me, there might be room for us both in the top 10...

Who said the only challenges that can be thrown down are in the F@H main area? :D Bring the popcorn, beer and tamales, guys!!!

Jathanis - been a long time man. good to hear from you.
Good to be back - I got so caught up in the 4M F@H push, then got addicted to seeing 16-18K ppd after months of never seeing 10K, I just couldn't bring myself back... until now! Lots of life getting in the way, but both my rigs kept folding strong...

Welcome to the Opening Day of March Madness! :)

Looks like we have a stacked bracket with 10 people in the running.

The order currently is:
Dookey
dmaine
Razor_FX_II
mashtub651
SazanEyes
Eric E
metallicafan
Jathanis
CraftyOtter
folding_rejects

Good luck to everyone the goal is one million points and we are currently at 884,655!
At our current rate we will be team number 71 on the project and we are currently 109!

Stats: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=team&proj=spi&team=1811

Yeah, but I just brought my Q6600 over from F@H last night (one more WU to finish, ya know :D) - between that and the HUGE backlog of pending credit, I should move up your list at least a few spots by the weekend!

Transferred 1 machine from folding now i got my pimp hat :)

maybe the goal should be a bit higher?
today:
HardOCP passes 900,000
HardOCP passes 950,000

Last edited:
Question:
after the first batch of work was sent, the manager just sits there with no work.

The message says "scheduler request completed, got 0 new tasks."

mine says "communication deferred".
have a full list of more work though,just moved over and started on that pc.
looks like it gets work enough to put it gentle :)

They still have a lot of workunits waiting to send, I am not home so I can't check to see how many WUs my PCs are doing but, sometimes that happens with the Server is down. Boinc is good and will update to get more when it can, or you can do a force update for the project.

I agree Defex, The new Goal should be set Higher, Lets say 2 Million points!

Well, at our current rate it will put us just over 2 Million points. Now if we keep seeing this great production we will blow that out of the water. Mashtub651 I agree that I wasn't paying attention before when I said 2 Million. Thus the goal should be 2.5 Million Points!

Transferred 1 machine from folding now i got my pimp hat :)

maybe the goal should be a bit higher?
today:
HardOCP passes 900,000
HardOCP passes 950,000

Congrats on the pimp hat!
Originally when Eric and I discussed a goal I think that we were thinking about 1M points in March (about 1.7M overall) not 1M overall points, just t clarify. However thanks to great support from the [H]ard crew we are taking names and kicking ass!

Looks like we were the second highest producing team today and moved up 9 spots: http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=teams&proj=spi&sort=today

Defex - Were you able to get more work units?

mashtub651 - What kind of hardware are you running? 24K points in one day is very impressive. :eek:

everything in sig except my future build, just looking for another x5650 so i can upgrade my sr2 hoping to get my g34 6128 up and running in the next week

Defex - Were you able to get more work units?

I finally got some work, i forgot i had left it running and was wondering why my folding ppd had gone down :) now there is a lot of work lined up.

Ok, now i got "reached daily quota of 600 results" and it wont send any more today. is there a way around that?

Wow thats a good problem to have! :D Are you out of work or are there a couple hundred WUs in your queue? Is this on your SR2 rig I would assume?

no i am completely out of work, and the queue is empty, so PC is not doing anything,

now i wonder if they go by when i started or by their clock in california, or by GMT ?

wondering if i should do a smp folding WU while i am waiting

Give me 5 min. I'll do a little looking. :)

Well after some searching I dont see anyone seeming to have this issue. Anyone else had this problem? I know Dookey and mashtub651 are both running some pretty beefy computers/processors.

When I log into my account on the main Spinhenge website and go to "Computers on this account, then click on my computer (i7 @ 3.0GHz) its says I have a 75 WU/day/CPU max quota. Now each of the units are taking about 40min on my machine to if my calculations are correct each CPU would be doing about 36 WU/day/CPU. Which begs the question - are you doing sub 20 min workunits?

Last edited:
mine says 75 per cpu as well, and with 24 threads it should give me 1800 units per day, not 600.
I restarted everything and it still says 600,
my units take 28-34 min(according to "cpu time"). on the results page

600/24 is only 25 results per CPU per day which is not a lot. so there must be something wrong in my setup or the server.

Last edited:
Back