Managed switch for home network??

jimphreak

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to purchase a solid managed switch for my home network. It needs to be all gigabit and allow for vlan configurations as I'd like to segment my traffic (VM backups, storage server replication, video streaming, etc). Much of this is for testing/learning purposes but I'd also like to put it to good use to optimize my home network as I do use 2-3 VM's for in a "production" like manner. I don't think I need anymore more than 16-24 ports. I looking at the Cisco SG-200 series but that only allows for management through a web interface and I'd like to be able to use the CLI since I'm familiar with it.

Last edited:
I picked up 2 SG300-20s on ebay and they work great. One is running in L3 mode and one is in L2. Did a LACP using 2 ports between each switch and so far both work great. They are silent and barely use any power. I measured with meter on my UPS and its showing about 5-6watts for each switch

I picked up 2 SG300-20s on ebay and they work great. One is running in L3 mode and one is in L2. Did a LACP using 2 ports between each switch and so far both work great. They are silent and barely use any power. I measured with meter on my UPS and its showing about 5-6watts for each switch

Sweet! Thanks for the feedback!

HP 1810-24G or any higher model.

The 1810-24G doesn't have CLI but I think the next model line above it does. Either way you can't beat a lifetime warranty.

To be honest I'd say that the 1810 is pretty much overrated, at least v1 is very sluggish and the UI isn't that good. Zyxel GS1910 if you need budget or 1910-series if you want HP, from my experience they dont seem to differ much at all except that the Zyxel has slightly lower backend bandwidth.
//Danne

Last edited:
So I was pretty set on the SG300 until I discovered that the CLI is not the regular Cisco IOS and is just a menu based interface. I've seen reviews saying that most of the confg needs to be done through the web interface. Without the Cisco IOS it's not worth it in my opinion to get the SG300 over the SG200. I'm still open to suggestions though.

*Note: I do like the small footprint of the SG series switches as I'd prefer not to buy a switch that is 12+" deep.

If you can get by with just a few ports you should checkout the Mikrotik RB260. $40 for five 10/100/1000 ports. Does VLANs, trunking, port mirroring, all that stuff.

So I was pretty set on the SG300 until I discovered that the CLI is not the regular Cisco IOS and is just a menu based interface. I've seen reviews saying that most of the confg needs to be done through the web interface. Without the Cisco IOS it's not worth it in my opinion to get the SG300 over the SG200. I'm still open to suggestions though.

*Note: I do like the small footprint of the SG series switches as I'd prefer not to buy a switch that is 12+" deep.

The latest code for the SG300 let's you do it all via CLI. I never go through the web UI. It may not be 100% IOS but it's damn close..close enough that I don't have an issue managing it.

The latest code for the SG300 let's you do it all via CLI. I never go through the web UI. It may not be 100% IOS but it's damn close..close enough that I don't have an issue managing it.

Thanks for the info. Now if I could just find one used :D.

HP 2824 are nice switches. They will even do static layer 3 routes too.
They are kinda noisy, but if you want to void the warranty you can replace the fans.

HP, Dell, or Lower-end Ciscos on eBay are all solid choices.

I love my Dells, they are fast solid switches.

Cisco 2960G 24 port off of ebay used... I have seen as low as $369.00... that is unbeatable for the performance and dependability of a Cisco part.

I used a GS724T for this exact configuration. Works very well. Have over 15VMs in a few different VLANs. Just recently got the R version because I want to keep all these nodes' traffic internal to the switch. Not sure how that will work yet but we'll see. We're essentially trying to do the same thing. No CLI though. Curious about the SG300 now.

Last edited:
I used a GS724T for this exact configuration. Works very well. Have over 15VMs in a few different VLANs. Just recently got the R version because I want to keep all these nodes' traffic internal to the switch. Not sure how that will work yet but we'll see. We're essentially trying to do the same thing. No CLI though. Curious about the SG300 now.

Does it do inter-vlan routing? If not how do are you doing it or are you even doing it at all?

Does it do inter-vlan routing? If not how do are you doing it or are you even doing it at all?

The TR model does which I just swapped out last night, in place of the T. Now I need to understand how to setup the static routes. I have setup inter VLANs fine and they can see and talk to each other but am learning how to get them to access the outside world through the home router. I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

With the T model I had all the VLAN routes managed at the ASUS N66 level with port trunking which wasn't very optimal.

The TR model does which I just swapped out last night, in place of the T. Now I need to understand how to setup the static routes. I have setup inter VLANs fine and they can see and talk to each other but am learning how to get them to access the outside world through the home router. I haven't been able to figure that out yet.

With the T model I had all the VLAN routes managed at the ASUS N66 level with port trunking which wasn't very optimal.

I see. Well for the price of the TR I might as well buy a Cisco SG300 since I'm more familiar with configuring Cisco switches. Let me know if you have any luck though.

No. GS switches are NOT managed. They are smart, which means cheaply wannabe managed. Not even in the same ballpartk.

I recommend a Cisco 2960G because they are cheap used and can do intervlan routing.

Yes on IOS 12.x you can set the SDM Prefer to Lan Base Routing and it will support 8 SVI's and other limited layer 3 features and is powerfully equipped for a full speed layer 2, super light capable layer 3 switch.

No. GS switches are NOT managed. They are smart, which means cheaply wannabe managed. Not even in the same ballpartk.

I recommend a Cisco 2960G because they are cheap used and can do intervlan routing.

Yes on IOS 12.x you can set the SDM Prefer to Lan Base Routing and it will support 8 SVI's and other limited layer 3 features and is powerfully equipped for a full speed layer 2, super light capable layer 3 switch.

Is there anything I can't do on the SG300 that I'd need for a home network with a VM server, storage server, and a few PCs? Reason I'm leaning towards it is that it's got a small footprint (has to go on a shallow shelf), is fanless (noise is a factor), and I can get it for half the price of the 2960G (cheapest I see on eBay is roughly $400 for one that looks to be in decent shape).

Last edited:
Food for thought. I have a brand new, only used for cisco lab, Cisco 2960g 48 port switch for sale. Looking for 750.00. I know the price is probably way more than what you are wanting to spend but figured I would throw it out there. I also have a used Cisco 3750 Metro switch for sale.

Food for thought. I have a brand new, only used for cisco lab, Cisco 2960g 48 port switch for sale. Looking for 750.00. I know the price is probably way more than what you are wanting to spend but figured I would throw it out there. I also have a used Cisco 3750 Metro switch for sale.

Thanks for the offer. However that is indeed way more than I want or need to spend. I only need 16-24 ports max anyhow.

Hey jimp,

I was able to get my lab setup with the new switch that supports static routes. I think the SG300 is a good switch from everything I read as well, looks really nice too. If I had the extra cash I probably would get the 28 model. I think you can find em for about 350 on eBay.

I was able to get the GS TR to work quite well supporting the following setup.

2 VLANs
.0 VLAN has 3 nodes, 1 NAS and 15VMs including 3 DNS VMs that provide DNS for .0 and .1 VLANs
.1 VLAN provides DHCP to wifi and 2 ports in my living room for media, a camera, basically all non-server related functionality.

Just finished getting it going. For a $150 dollar switch I think it's a good deal if you want this functionality. I didn't care to get into the networking too much as I'm more focused on infrastructure automation so perhaps our desires are a little different there. If you just want to get into the VMs stuff and not deal so much with the network, I think the SG300 or the GS TR model would work fine. I will say it was a little finicky sometimes but like anything new it takes some getting used too.

Here's the thread if it helps.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1040353474#post1040353474

Christian

Last edited:
Nobody said they were managed and the TR supports inter VLAN routing.

The OP asked for a "managed switch for home network". Not Smart Switch. There is a massive difference in Managed and Smart, at least for network engineers. I am accurately answering the OP's question. The GS724T is a nice switch sure but it certainly is not accurately engineer for or to be "Managed" in the appropriate definition of a true managed layer2/3 switch.

Of course the TR model can do some static stuff but I assume nothing special past static routing. But that might be all the OP needs.

Last edited:
Tomato, tomahto. They are still a class of managed switch. If they can be configured, they are managed.

Do you guys think this is a good deal?

EDIT: I'm confused...I thought the HP 1910's were layer 3 switches but the descriptions of them say layer 2???

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Tomato, tomahto. They are still a class of managed switch. If they can be configured, they are managed.

Okay fine for home stuff I agree. I would never place a smart switch in the enterprise. As I grew in skills I made many mistakes and quite a few were because I used Smart so called managed switches and this netgear is one of them.for the home they are actually amazing but certainly not truly managed. I think Cisco has more show commmands than the netgear jas in total functions lol. But op id consider these recommendations for either the 724tr or the sg300 sure.

sorry for cell typos

Do you guys think this is a good deal?

EDIT: I'm confused...I thought the HP 1910's were layer 3 switches but the descriptions of them say layer 2???

They are Layer2+. Not quite Layer 3, but better than Layer 2 because they support static routing. Typically full L3 switches support dynamic routing protocols vs just static routing.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Ahhh I see. I'm guessing I wouldn't need dynamic routing for a home network consisting of maybe 2-4 vlans.

I also have a Netgear GS724T, and use a few vlans on mine as well. For sure, this switch isn't unmanaged. It's not the best switch with the most possible options. It doesn't even support all forms of vlan tagging. Since I don't tag at my home it works just fine. One more thought, I reversed the mounts and mounted mine under my desktop using the rack mounts. That also works just fine.

I don't route with mine. The Netgear plugs into my pfsense box which has quite a bit of routing functionality if needed.

Back