Man swallows earbuds while sleeping

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
BOSTON (AP) — A man is warning people against using headphones while falling asleep after health care workers had to remove a wireless earbud from his esophagus. Worcester resident Brad Gauthier, who detailed his bizarre experience in a Facebook post, went to bed Monday listening to music. He woke up Tuesday, shoveled snow for about an hour, and then went inside to take a sip of water. But the liquid wouldn't go down, and he had to lean over to drain it from his throat.Gauthier also noticed he was missing one of his two wireless earbuds, which he said typically uses as he falls asleep. Gauthier's son suggested that perhaps his father had swallowed the earbud, which is exactly what an X-ray at a local emergency clinic revealed. The small plastic device was lodged in his lower esophagus. Gauthier said he never experienced more than minor discomfort. He told NBC Boston 10 that he wanted to share his experience to caution others not to sleep with their headphones.

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Music-to-my-fears-Man-swallows-earbud-while-15930034.php

The...
He...

what.

you’re in your own room, why not just use a speaker?

If he uses ASMR to relax and help fall asleep then that kinda works the best with headphones. 🤔 But wireless earbuds are still a bad idea as we see here, it is better to get those flat sleeping headphones (similar to those eye covers, headbands etc.)

If he uses ASMR to relax and help fall asleep then that kinda works the best with headphones. 🤔 But wireless earbuds are still a bad idea as we see here, it is better to get those flat sleeping headphones (similar to those eye covers, headbands etc.)

They make machines for that, sound machines, with different noise effects.

I wonder what kind of damage the headphone could have done if it made it all the way to his stomach?

Great, man is warning others that something that fits in your throat may end up going in your throat if you're not careful. Don't they have a "find my earbuds" beeping feature like remote controls do ?? :D

Last edited:
See this is why I don't like wireless earbuds.

I've slept with traditional wired earbuds for years when I was a teenager. If I ever swallowed them, at least I'd be able to pull them out.

That's pretty crazy how the guy didn't notice something in his throat for that long though.

The...
He...

what.

you’re in your own room, why not just use a speaker?
An easy scenario, is wife does not necessarily want to listen to that music and if he sleep the door open the rest of the house, a second one is a much easier setup.

yeah he should just use sleep phones. theyre pretty decent. I use wireless buds sleeping, but I use a full mask for my cpap, so no chance of swallowing since I have a damn Bane mask on all night.

This sound like that I told a lie white lie, what could happen, story. Now this guys on the news and still won't admit he is lying.

That's some bad indigestion at the least

There are kids who have died from swallowing those. It's no joke.
Bass test.
1612806596639.png

As a PSA, if you have trouble swallowing food (or wireless earbuds) on occasion go to the goddamn doctor. I started choking on food from time to time a couple years back. Turns out I had terrible acid reflux that I otherwise would not have identified. Now that I am on a proton pump inhibitor I can swallow steak, bread, and wireless earbuds no problem.

I would say use corded headphones but you know, Apple had the courage and all that. Those flat speakers for bedtime are probably not a bad idea but I assume they sound meh.

This is like the opposite of being a kid and going to bed with gum and waking up with it in your hair.

How did this guy not feel it in his throat.... if I get a tiny advil stuck in my throat, I know ALL ABOUT IT and it becomes my #1 priority in life to resolve the problem.

Is stomach acid strong enough to melt the plastic and metal enclosures of the batteries? I mean eventually yes probably, but in time that human digestion system works?
No.

Stomach acid won't touch plastic.

No.

Stomach acid won't touch plastic.
In general, yeah but it does depend on the type of plastic. If the plastic was in some way made from food products (corn or soy) it absolutely will get broken down in some fashion. That said, if these were Apple ear buds and they haven't had huge ad campaigns about how they're being green by using plastic made of plant material... then they're not using any of those plastics.

That said, it's not like earbuds are completely enclosed in plastic, and the insides/electronics absolutely will be affected.

I'd love to see the extraction video, dude would be so famous like Mr. Turtle here:

Back