Man Spends a Week Inside VR

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
In spite of some growing pains associated with the technology, it seems that virtual reality and augmented reality will play a significant role in the future of society. But just what happens to people if they spend days, or even weeks, inside of VR/AR? One YouTuber decided to find out, as he strapped himself into a VR headset for 168 hours straight, and live streamed the whole thing.

Check out the experiment here.

"I now dream in virtual reality"

Last edited:
I can look down in my Oculus and see the floor and other things in the room. He wasnt separated from reality. Maybe his eyes were 70% blocked but he could still see under the mask. And you can still hear stuff.

like he said at the start this was also AR, not 100% VR... I was expecting some red indentation around his face at the final reveal... also why not wear a sleeping mask and go outside... cool video even if it wasn't legit, and as tech improves there should be less of an issue overal...

I can look down in my Oculus and see the floor and other things in the room. He wasnt separated from reality. Maybe his eyes were 70% blocked but he could still see under the mask. And you can still hear stuff.

Yep, I use this to keep myself* oriented! I think he was just wanting clicks! :)

Shame he didn't only just drink the VR water, eat the VR food, and used the VR toilet.....
Now that's living in the VR world.

Edit: Couldn't watch past 2:30.
Title needs to redone to "Metro-sexual live in AR because the Kadeshi kicked him out of the Garden club"

Last edited:
Yep, I use this to keep myself* oriented! I think he was just wanting clicks! :)

I am not ready for 100% immersion, anytime I feel like I get too close playing Gorn I punch a ceiling fan or speaker lol.

Shame he didn't only just drink the VR water, eat the VR food, and used the VR toilet.....
Now that's living in the VR world.
Yeah that was my first thought. Food... bathroom? Did he just do a week of vr from.his bathroom with the bathtub full of lunchables?

Still not there yet.

brainstorm.jpg

"Dream in virtual reality", huh?

I played Super Hot VR once while waiting for some shrooms to kick in and after I took the headset off real life became a situation where time would only move if I did.

This was actually pretty interesting. His description of "back to reality" reminded me of coming back from a long deployment at sea, and how it feels like the ground is moving when you step back on to the pier.

All the comments about how the technology is not there are non-sequitur. The technology is what it is; the fact that it is not wholly immersive is what makes the experiment interesting. We are hovering at the edge of the uncanny valley.

Aside from the experiment itself, I just got a short list of VR titles I need to try.

I am not ready for 100% immersion, anytime I feel like I get too close playing Gorn I punch a ceiling fan or speaker lol.
That game is so much fun.

I can’t imagine wearing VR for a week. How did he sleep with it on? Admittedly I didn’t click through.

Any word about bathroom visits and personal hygiene during his one week sabbatical in VR? I'm not even going to ask about food.

He's doing it wrong.. The future is AR. VR will just be a mode to change into by toggling the eye cover on. Like he said, a sort of "solitude" state to go into whenever desired.

One VR to rule them all, One VR to find them, One VR to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them

BTW: those VR googles sure must be effective while he was sleeping :LOL:

My Samsung Odyssey+ with its inside-out motion detection has a "flashlight" mode that is really just the camera's digitize sensors showing the real-world when ever you want. Eg. seeing where you are in a room or getting to a ringing phone.
It is a nice feature for sure that many HMD's do not have.

My Samsung Odyssey+ with its inside-out motion detection has a "flashlight" mode that is really just the camera's digitize sensors showing the real-world when ever you want. Eg. seeing where you are in a room or getting to a ringing phone.
It is a nice feature for sure that many HMD's do not have.

if it was portable, i'd walk around with it on just because.

Back