Man Caught Smuggling 94 iPhones Into China

He was totally misunderstood...wearing iPhones as clothes is the latest fashion trend. :p

I`d think its cheaper to still buy them outside and illegally import them. wasnt there a guy who was caught trying to import them illegally by stuffing them inside his car dash, like a similar amount. There were more iphones then airbags in that lol

Is it the same guy who bought about that many iphones to use in a proposal only to get shot down? Maybe he was just trying to find another use for them

He should have installed a screensaver on them where, when they boot up, they go "I was born in China and I'm am just trying to get home. Please don't deport me!"

If nothing else, the cops would get a good laugh.

I'm sorry.

Spoken like a true iBot who would rather stick with an limited, locked down phone with an out of date GUI, than upgrade to modern phone running Android :)

Yeah, this would never have happened with Androids because Google would have known about it as the smuggler was thinking about doing it based on mined data from all his thoughts, calls, texts, search history, and emails.

Spoken like a true iBot who would rather stick with an limited, locked down phone with an out of date GUI, than upgrade to modern phone running Android :)

Spoken like a true elitest that can't comprehend the fact that iphones work perfectly fine for 90% of the people out there. I have a nexus 5 and a iPhone 5, while I prefere my nexus 5 the iPhone is perfectly fine. It surfs the web just as well, downloads silly phone games just as well and plays music just as well. Guess what almost everyone I know that's all they use their phone for. I use to mock ihpone users for being diehard fanboys but android users are becoming way more snotty and ignorant about it now. He'll it's way easier for me to find devices for my iPhone then it is my android phone (things like non Bluetooth speakers that will play over USB and charge my phone).

Android and apple are both fine for most people and it's honestly just a competition of which os/ui you like more

He was totally misunderstood...wearing iPhones as clothes is the latest fashion trend. :p

You know, the sad thing is, that explanation probably could have worked.
Hell, it almost worked for that marriage proposal. :D

Spoken like a true elitest that can't comprehend the fact that iphones work perfectly fine for 90% of the people out there. I have a nexus 5 and a iPhone 5, while I prefere my nexus 5 the iPhone is perfectly fine. It surfs the web just as well, downloads silly phone games just as well and plays music just as well. Guess what almost everyone I know that's all they use their phone for. I use to mock ihpone users for being diehard fanboys but android users are becoming way more snotty and ignorant about it now. He'll it's way easier for me to find devices for my iPhone then it is my android phone (things like non Bluetooth speakers that will play over USB and charge my phone).

Android and apple are both fine for most people and it's honestly just a competition of which os/ui you like more

You already proved why iPhone buyers are ignorant snobs - Android and iPhones do similar things, yet iSheeps pay through the nose every year to have the same thing again and again, just because there's a rotting fruit in the back of it.

Sounds like what happens when you eat your own poo. Surprised the very same people who assemble that crap would want to buy it.

You already proved why iPhone buyers are ignorant snobs - Android and iPhones do similar things, yet iSheeps pay through the nose every year to have the same thing again and again, just because there's a rotting fruit in the back of it.

iBots also don't have a sense of humor, or maybe they just don't understand sarcasm or smiley faces. :)

I don't get it, why in the hell would anyone strap 94 iPhones to their body and try to smuggle them in to China? They sell iPhones in that country now don't they? :confused:
Probably all stolen. Stolen iPhones have little value in the United States since they are carrier blacklisted from what I understand, with no way to activate them. Overseas in China they don't have that problem.

Honestly, this guy actually has a better plan than most smugglers. +1 for ingenuity but it looks like the Chinese customs people are on the ball.

Nearly everyone gets a phone through a subsidized contract in the US, almost no one actually buys phones outright regardless of maker. Why are you being such a douchebag? It's a phone, get over yourself.

You got it all wrong. That guy was repurposing iPhones to be used as personal body armor.
Authorities probably figured he wasn't up to snuff!

Surprised the very same people who assemble that crap would want to buy it.

The "very same people who assemble that crap" could never hope to buy one. There is a huge gap between a factory worker and someone who could buy a black market iPhone. And another huge gap to the person who could buy one legit in China (elite).

On a lighter side, I always thought iPhones were the new cocaine ;)

The "very same people who assemble that crap" could never hope to buy one. There is a huge gap between a factory worker and someone who could buy a black market iPhone. And another huge gap to the person who could buy one legit in China (elite).

On a lighter side, I always thought iPhones were the new cocaine ;)
China actually has a pretty large and growing middle class, population wise if not percentage wise. They have 1.3 billion people, there are plenty that can afford iPhones.

The iPhone and other Apple devices are status symbols over there. Like others have said, smuggling them is still cheaper than buying retail.

Smugglers used to use children who would travel to Hong Kong for school. They would stuff devices into the kids' backpacks in Hong Kong and take them out when they were back in mainland China.

China actually has a pretty large and growing middle class, population wise if not percentage wise. They have 1.3 billion people, there are plenty that can afford iPhones.

Yes the massive elite population in China can afford to buy a non black market iPhone. The other %90 percent would gladly stab your stupid face to take yours.
Middle class is a relative term.

How many who can afford it work in factories though? The guy running the factory?

They're probably cheaper in Hong Kong. I've read (though never confirmed) that they're less expensive in the U.S. than other countries (even when unlocked).

That is the general truth for most products in the world that are sold in the US, it usually doesn't even matter where they are made, and not uncommon for products to be cheaper in the US than than the country they are made at.

That is the general truth for most products in the world that are sold in the US, it usually doesn't even matter where they are made, and not uncommon for products to be cheaper in the US than than the country they are made at.

Verified.

For example, in the US, on Newegg at least, an MSI GTX 970 costs $350, maybe $380 in retail?

The exact same card costs $420 in Taiwan.

Granted there are some oddities in pricing as well (most notable was Asus Rampage VII Hero costing more that Gigabyte Gaming 7 in US, whereas it's the other way round in Taiwan), but generally they more expensive.

I just don't get it. can someone please tell me what is such a big deal with Iphones? I have not even touched or worked with any Apple products.

I just don't get it. can someone please tell me what is such a big deal with Iphones? I have not even touched or worked with any Apple products.
They're somewhat expensive so like anything else that's expensive, they become a status symbol of wealth especially in countries where those items are typically not affordable by the general masses.

Based on prices posted in another article, he could have made $200+ US dollars per phone when selling them. The real question is who is out the $75,000+ dollars (94 x 800)? I hope that wasn't his life savings.

How so? A Galaxy S5 sells for about the same price as an iPhone 6. A $50.00 difference is not why you choose one phone over the other. I've used both. Neither is perfect, but unless you're buying a Nexus, your updates are at the whim of the carrier.

I get the Apple hate. I'm not a big fan of the company (even if I do use the phone), but I don't think Android is the greatest system either. Whats more, many apps simply don't go to Android, because developers don't believe android users buy apps (this is a problem Apple suffered on the PC side, for years, with game developers).

Nearly everyone gets a phone through a subsidized contract in the US, almost no one actually buys phones outright regardless of maker. Why are you being such a douchebag? It's a phone, get over yourself.

Pretentious moron, even under contract, iPhones are still overpriced. There are also no-contract Androids that are similarly spec'd for the same price as an iPhone under contract. Learn to check prices before you run your mouth.

Back