Man Allowed To Mod Wheelchair With Gun

HardOCP News

[H] News
A New Jersey judge is allowing a quadriplegic man in a wheelchair to buy a gun and mod it into his wheelchair so he can hunt. Bonus: he’ll operate the gun via breathing tube.

A judge ruled Tuesday that the 46-year-old is eligible for a firearms ID, which is required to buy a gun. The judge addressed the safety issues by requiring Cap to have qualified people assist him with weapons. Cap was an avid hunter as a teenager. He was paralyzed 30 years ago after breaking his neck in a high school football game.

Never heard of a firearms ID but it sounds like some BS that he had to go before a judge to get permission for this. Last I checked right to bear arms was a right and I didn't know becoming crippled took that away.

Here in NJ we need to register for an Firearms Purchaser ID. Its a pretty painless process.

Never heard of a firearms ID but it sounds like some BS that he had to go before a judge to get permission for this. Last I checked right to bear arms was a right and I didn't know becoming crippled took that away.

Ah the guy isn't just crippled, he's a quadriplegic. I suspect that played a role in him being able to wield a gun, no?

Hey congratulations to this guy for doing this....but I honestly don't want to be anywhere near him when he is shooting that gun.....
I'm not so sure a quadriplegic has the ability to control and fire a firearm....
sure its mounted to his chair, but someone needs to aim it...

I'm more interested in how he's going to hunt in a wheelchair? They probably don't roll over trees and such too well....

Here in NJ we need to register for an Firearms Purchaser ID. Its a pretty painless process.

Except for the 90-120+ day waiting periods (when the state is mandated by law to complete the process in < 30 days).

I'm just shocked that a NJ court would rule in favor of anyone in relation to gun rights. Of course of this were the legislate-from-the-bench NJ supreme court, and not a lower court, things would be different.

KGB Major: Do you want to see me?
Colonel Ernesto Bella: Yes... yes. Go to the sporting goods store. From the files obtain forms 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons, and lists of private ownership.
-Red Dawn

EDIT: Sorry that should read 90-180 days. My FID took 3 months to get, and the first pistol permit took an additional 6 months.

Makes it hard to believe that a handicapped guy got so much shit for wanting to use a golf cart during a tournament.

That makes it illegal for him to own them? what if he wanted to collect them? or to just own them for any other reason. Heck what if he wanted to get an FFL and be a dealer? Should his being crippled matter?

Might be setting a bad precedent. I'm afraid that blind people might start demanding firearms, too. =)

(Steve - no disrepect or malice to your immediate family intended.)

Might be setting a bad precedent. I'm afraid that blind people might start demanding firearms, too. =)

No where in the 2nd Amendment does it say only able bodied persons. Hell even on the 4473 it does not ask about physical limitations, only mental.
To deny one a right granted under the Constitution of the US based on handicap status is descrimination plain and simple.

Might as well stop letting black people buy guns :rolleyes:

LOL!!! No offense taken bro! (I'm telling my mom though)

I was more impressed with dude's MODDING idea, that was pretty [H] for a guy in a wheel chair.

No where in the 2nd Amendment does it say only able bodied persons. Hell even on the 4473 it does not ask about physical limitations, only mental.
To deny one a right granted under the Constitution of the US based on handicap status is descrimination plain and simple.

Wouldn't disallowing firearms for the mentally handicapped be an example of "deny[ing] one a right granted under the Constitution of the US based on handicap status"?

(Disclaimer: I was joking about arming blind people... I agree they have the same 2nd amendment rights I do.)

This just in: He requested another permit for his new wheelchair

redneck-wheelchair.jpg

:p

LOL!!! No offense taken bro! (I'm telling my mom though)

I was more impressed with dude's MODDING idea, that was pretty [H] for a guy in a wheel chair.

Tattle-tale! ;)

Yeah, gotta admire the guy's determination. Can't say I'd be that driven if I were in his situation.

Your real fear isn't quadriplegic with guns, it's cops. Police are far more likely to have accidents with guns than civilians who own guns.

And robots. Robots with guns are dangerous.

Your real fear isn't quadriplegic with guns, it's cops. Police are far more likely to have accidents with guns than civilians who own guns.

And robots. Robots with guns are dangerous.

This.

Also, guns blah blah blah, laws blah blah blah, firearm safety... pfft.

WHERE ARE THE PICS?

lol, thats like saying it's surprising that pedestrians are in LESS car accidents than car drivers, duh!

Might as well stop letting black people buy guns :rolleyes:

So you wouldn't deny a blind person a gun? Just askin'.
I agree with people getting their rights and all, but you have to think about each scenario when it comes up.

In other news, man's wheelchair becomes self aware and goes on killing spree. Fifteen people dead.

Also in other news, prior to man's wheelchair becoming self aware and going on killing spree, man suffers coughing fit on public transportation. Four more people dead.

I always see a lot of threads joking about the 'We welcome our Robot Overlords' from Futurerama but I can't help but think equipping machines with guns makes me laugh that we could be one step closer. Even if the machine is person controlled, its like a step closer to having machines fight for us.

I would suspect peoples thinking went along the lines of: "you can't even shoot a gun, how do I know your not buying this for a FELON?"

So you wouldn't deny a blind person a gun? Just askin'.
I agree with people getting their rights and all, but you have to think about each scenario when it comes up.

Why should we? Because they cant safely use it to hunt or for self defense? Who cares. If they want to own the object, it is within their rights.

I can't believe how complacent people are with the gradual erosion of our rights :( Before you know it we will lose our guns like so much of the world already has.

Why should we? Because they cant safely use it to hunt or for self defense? Who cares. If they want to own the object, it is within their rights.

I can't believe how complacent people are with the gradual erosion of our rights :( Before you know it we will lose our guns like so much of the world already has.

I'm not saying "Don't give it to them". I'm just saying, jeebus krise. :eek:

dey turk ur gurns!

By the headline, I thought he wanted to modify his wheelchair with a gun. A gun could be used for some serious wheelchair modding, but depending on which parts are modded, it might not roll very well.

I like how people use the constitution alone to determine what's a "right" :rolleyes:

Common sense, considering the times we live in NOW, should always take priority. Hunting is a useless "sport", and just an excuse to murder innocent lives for the sake of feeling better about yourself.

Owning guns for protection is fine though, statistically they have shown to save more lives then take.

HardOCP should do something for this guy. He's totally [H] if he can pull it off.

I like how people use the constitution alone to determine what's a "right" :rolleyes:

Common sense, considering the times we live in NOW, should always take priority. Hunting is a useless "sport", and just an excuse to murder innocent lives for the sake of feeling better about yourself.

Owning guns for protection is fine though, statistically they have shown to save more lives then take.

No shit, son? That's what the constitution is supposed to do?

EDIT: Sorry that should read 90-180 days. My FID took 3 months to get, and the first pistol permit took an additional 6 months.

My FID took 2 weeks to process and the pistol permit another 2. My friend had a similar experience to you though, guess i just got lucky.

Back