MAME box upgrade

BrainEater

[H]ard|Gawd
I made a full cabinet MAME arcade rig 8-9 years ago. There's a pic or two here somewhere. I will post more.

In that time I've gone through 3x 21" CRT's and 4x 21" LCD's. Every LCD monitor I bought was basically DOA from 'capacitor plague'. I just opened up the last monitor that died, yep, popped capacitors.
I'm sick of fixing and replacing these monitors.
--------

Let me introduce you to Eizo.

My MAME box is getting one of these : 21.3" 4:3 aspect LCD monitor with *new* capacitors.......and a warrantee !!

https://www.eizo.com/products/flexscan/s2133/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1044684-REG/eizo_s2133_bk_21_3_thin_bezel_clear.html

-------
Now 1000$ might *seem* like a lot, but I've spent double that on old shitty monitors.
I can't wait.
I just wanna play missile command.

(y)

Hmmmm.....I looked everywhere here, did not find pics of my mame rig.(found a couple red 'x's) heh

I can remedy this !!
Looks sad with no monitor :

arcade20201.JPG

------------

So at least I've already modified it for a 100mm VESA mount.
The dust is extra .

arcade20202.JPG

------------

I've got a couple feelers out for the best way to order the Eizo 21" .
I can't wait !

:D

That'll be great when you can get the replacement monitor!

What kind of hardware are you currently using for the computer?

I *think* it's an Intel e6600.....socket 775 something anyways.10 year old video card.
It doesn't need anything to run really.....I picked the rig based on the USB ports.

I'll blow the dust bunnies out and take a pic.

(y)

Last edited:
I've been meaning to build my mini-Mame box.

These iCade units are Bluetooth controllers and you use a tablet or phone and lean it inside the cabinet.

This one here I modded for a friend a bunch of times as he kept trying different joysticks and buttons. He settled on a Leaf Spring style joystick.
IMG_1373.JPG
He mainly plays Ms Pacman and other classic games that use 1 or 2 buttons so we just used the 2 main buttons on top for left and right hand use.
The other buttons which are used for configuring are along the front edge.
I think he spent almost $1000 for parts and paying me to mod it a bunch of times, but he loves it. He said if his house was ever on fire this would be the first thing he'd grab.

This is my stock one,
IMG_1388.JPG
I have a Raspberry Pi3 already loaded with RetroPi, I just need to get an iPad screen controller (already have an iPad to grab the screen from) and gather all the other parts
I want to use to make it into a standalone all one on mini arcade machine.

Here I was testing some games after I loaded up RetroPi,
IMG_1451.JPG

Those are sweet !!
I've often thought about 'portable' arcade units...I have not seen those iCade units before...very cool !!

----------

Here's a couple pics of the rig......it's a p4.....6 USB ports

.arcaderig1.JPG
----------

arcaderig2.JPG

--------
I had forgotten all about this rig.
It's actually a fairly rare and unique bird nowadays.
you can tell from the pictures.
an instant like (that's all I can offer) to anyone that notices what it is.

:ROFLMAO:

Yea baby !

IMG_6812.JPG

I've never been happier to see a 4:3 monitor in my life.
I'm just shucking it from the stand.....it actually looks thicker than the last 21' lcd I had in there...no biggie.

(y)

Shucked and mounted.....VESA for the win....

IMG_6816.JPG

I have a new piece of 'smoked acrylic' on order to redo the overlay bezel.
I'm just cleaning and loading stuff back in.
Games this weekend !!

:D

Congrats!!

The insane prices of classic 4:3 made me rethink how I wanted to build my cabinet. I used a 32" 16:9 vertically. I love the vertical classics so I didn't want to
cabinet.jpg
sacrifice those games, and horizontal games play just fine at about "20.5 so I think the best of both words, and works great for pinball as well. The active marquee is a 22" and suits the task perfectly depending on the artwork available for each game.

Congrats!!

The insane prices of classic 4:3 made me rethink how I wanted to build my cabinet. I used a 32" 16:9 vertically. I love the vertical classics so I didn't want to View attachment 268007 sacrifice those games, and horizontal games play just fine at about "20.5 so I think the best of both words, and works great for pinball as well. The active marquee is a 22" and suits the task perfectly depending on the artwork available for each game.
i like how you matched the cabnet to the fake wood wall paneling ;)

Still perfer those 4:3 monitors. Can live with the wide screens but there was just something about those mostly square screens that make working with some much easier.
Have to save those links next time I need a square monitor!

Cool to see the old arcade games making a comeback!

No comeback really, there's a [H]ardcore arcade box crowd.
-----
My rig's back up.Just redoing the joystick configs.
I was at https://www.ultimarc.com/ yesterday......they make 'flight' joysticks in the '360' line now....looks like I'm getting a pair for 'BattleZone'......hahah

:ROFLMAO:

Me and a buddy of mine are taking a stab at our first build. For now i'm going to be using a Pi 3. Do any of you have any suggestion for images to give that HyperSpin type feel? Obviously it would be toned down due to the pi's power. I've been experimenting with different images. The one I tried today let me map the joystick/buttons in the menu but then MAME didn't detect anything but the keyboard. I'll post picture later if anyone cares. We are still in the build phase, just took it for a quick spin since today was the first day it could function to a degree.

Me and a buddy of mine are taking a stab at our first build. For now i'm going to be using a Pi 3. Do any of you have any suggestion for images to give that HyperSpin type feel? Obviously it would be toned down due to the pi's power. I've been experimenting with different images. The one I tried today let me map the joystick/buttons in the menu but then MAME didn't detect anything but the keyboard. I'll post picture later if anyone cares. We are still in the build phase, just took it for a quick spin since today was the first day it could function to a degree.

Honestly I had a pi3b+ setup with mame and was not impressed regardless of the tweaks. I ended up moving over to a pi 4 and results were much more impressive.

good to know. I just upgraded my son to a r5 2600 machine so have a leftover 2500k setup. I'll probably just end up using that. I'm trying to get access to back-ups.me to get a prebuilt hyperspin image.

Back