Malwarebytes Update Released to Fix High CPU and Memory Usage

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Just earlier today, Malwarebytes pushed a “bad protection update” that led to high memory consumption and CPU usage, but the company already has a fix. Users who are having trouble installing it may first try terminating the mbamservice.exe process in task manager or reinstalling the software.

To resolve these issues simply start MBAM and check for new updates. The program will automatically download the new update and install it. If your computer is unresponsive, you can either terminate the mbamservice.exe process in task manager and restart Malwarebytes in order to try and download the new update. As a last resort, you can uninstall MBAM and reinstall it.

I just fixed a family members' computer by uninstalling it. Tried to terminate mbamservice but it kept popping up. Was taking 90%+ CPU usage and about 80% RAM. Took 5 minutes just for task manager to pop up and another 30 minutes to uninstall the thing.

Still doesn't beat that time I did something stupid to Fallout 4

OGrYkLP.jpg

Ha ok I'm not crazy. I looked this morning when I was having issues and it was using like 24GB of RAM and all my CPU.

I uninstalled it earlier so I guess time to put it back on.

So that was what caused Windows 10 pop up saying memory is too LOW. Huh? How can this be on a rig with 12GB ram? So I chicked task manager tray icon to see what is hogging the ram, the screen went all black. Had to press button 4 sec then reboot. Once into desktop, I could see mbam crunching slowly up to 5gb I terminated it. It restarted with an update.

Everything's fine.

ill have to check this out, noticed earlier this morning MWB shutdown web protection, kept disabling it and wouldn't start, task manager showed well over 12GB of memory usage just for MWB

disabled and shut down everything, tried a clean install using their cleaninstaller program... no luck... so ill go over and check this out now

Do they not test their updates? Every system I am responsible for is running Malwarebytes premium, took up most of my morning dealing with this mess. Happy the fix came fast and my systems are back to normal. Clients were pissed, but if this had happened on a weekday there would have been hell to pay. These kind of headaches are why I'm happy I only do system builds/support on the side now.

I shut mine down earlier today, was taking up 14gigs of ram to run without web protection on.

This a recent thing or been happening for a while? I was testing it out on some work machines and it would randomly lock up the machines so I gave up on it.

There are just too many issues with this product that keep happening year after year, making this software almost more trouble than its worth. I ended up ditching it last year. They need much better QC and a stronger dev team.

I've rarely had issues with Malwarebytes.. I think before this the worst thing was Malwarebytes 2.x making The Witcher 3 run like crap on Windows 10. The few programs I used before that had much worse bugs crop up, like hosing Windows or deleting game executables by mistake.

I'm just glad I got Malwarebytes back when they had lifetime subscriptions.

This got me yesterday. Firefox did a hard crash then I noticed the MWB web protection was off and wouldn't turn on. After doing a couple of the usual first fixes, clean cache, clean temp files, etc., did a search on the problem. First thing found to try was fresh install of MWB. Did not help. Noticed a lot of folks in a fresh thread having the same problem of rising memory usage and no web protection. Had MWB do a self update and did a reboot. Problem fixed. Despite this issue, MWB has been less trouble then other products I have used and they picked up on the Coinhive thing fairly early.

2nd on the lifetime subscription.

I had issues too. Finally back to normal today. I didn't notice the RAM usage, but things were crashing hard and fast. I managed to get to their support page and THERE WAS NOTHING THERE about it. Digging through the forums like a chump and finding nothing, I removed it and went "naked" for a day. Defender was my only protection. I'm a lifetime premium user too.

I got hit as well. My computer was completely unusable.

Tried to quit MWB via the task tray - Failed.
Tried to quit MWB via the Task Manager - Failed.
Tried to quit the MWB service via the Management Console - Failed.

The only way I could use my computer again was to actually uninstall MWB and await an update patch. It's pretty obvious that somebody completely failed to test their update prior to releasing it into the wild. Major screwup. The other thing they obviously need is to include a graceful way to disable MWB should a situation like this arise again. Having to uninstall the program as your only way of disabling it is ridiculous.

Last edited:
this was a fun one for me, i decided my ncase M1 needed the wiring all cleaned up so i had it all apart and redid the wires and ran into all kinds of these issues, turned out it was malwarebytes lol....

Back