Malwarebytes Anti-Malware $14.99

Great software...
I went on sale at the egg a month or so ago for $9.99

I'm not going to set up another friend/relatives computer again without installing this.

If it saves me even an hour of having to remove spyware or malware it has paid for itself.

I have had good luck with microsoft essentials lately (free). How does malwarebytes compare?

I have had good luck with microsoft essentials lately (free). How does malwarebytes compare?

This post on their forum explains it better than I could:

The fully installed anti virus application that is installed on one's computer that performs both "On Access" and "On Demand" scanning will scan those files types. That is one of the two main reasons why MBAM supplements anti virus software and does not replace anti virus software. The second is MBAM doesn't specifically "target" viruses because MBAM can't "clean" the malicious code from an infected file where code has been; prepended, appended or cavity injected. For that matter MBAM can't "clean" a trojanized file either. At best MBAM will delete these files. To my knowledge, with the present version (and the version in Beta) MBAM can't "clean" MBR code either.

MBAM dosen't really "compare" to normal anti-viruses, because it's not really meant to be used on it's own, you're suppose to use it to supplement your AV.

This is like Spybot Search and Destroy, it compliments your standard AV program. MSE + MBAM = good choices. I also put Spybot S&D on machines as well, as long as you don't install the annoying Tea Timer crap, it's good at keeping a system pretty clean.

Of course those of you who are magically immune from getting infections on your machine ( :rolleyes: ) won't find any of this worthwhile.

In for another copy.

Not as good as the $9.99 deal they had prior to Christmas, but its still a solid deal.

FYI for anyone thats into bulk purchasing. $15.00 is the average price for 20 licenses
from them, and you can sometimes find coupon codes online to get you 10-20% off
that price, dropping a bulk buy down to around the $11-12 range.

I ordered ten copies when it was 9.99. This would be a great deal if I needed more copies.

So what, you scan this at the same time as an AV scan or? Sorry for the ignorance, I just do not comprehend how you use it. I actually bought it from newegg and am clueless. This is a great tool. Just not for dumbasses like myself.

You don't have to run them both at the exact same time. But checking one then the other wouldn't be a bad idea.

Anti-virus = for viruses, trojans and more serious forms of malware
Anti-spyware = tracking cookies, ad related pop up apps, some types of malicious apps.

Of course some companies have combined the 2 types of software into suites (like Norton for example), but most are of the opinion that it is better to use 2 separate programs - each the best at what they do - than use one suite that does everything but is just OK at it.

This is like Spybot Search and Destroy, it compliments your standard AV program. MSE + MBAM = good choices. I also put Spybot S&D on machines as well, as long as you don't install the annoying Tea Timer crap, it's good at keeping a system pretty clean.

Of course those of you who are magically immune from getting infections on your machine ( :rolleyes: ) won't find any of this worthwhile.

I wouldn't call myself immune but I don't get infections often at all. I guess I just know what not to click on.

That being said I got in on this one of the times it was $9.99. At this prices it's well worth it just in case. Also I've used the free version to clean enough computers for others that I'm more than happy to support the company.

thanks for that - got one for my mom :) ... she's known to click on all those things that say click here for x.

thanks for that - got one for my mom :) ... she's known to click on all those things that say click here for x.

My folks are terrible with the scareware.

"BUT MATTHEW IT SAID I HAVE 24 TROJAN VIRUSES! HOW CAN THEY LIE ABOUT THAT?"

Dead, unfortunately. However, code BM6-3S7-665 will get you $5 off of one license.

Still shows $14.99 for me. Of course, I didn't have the back up cd and extended download service check marked.

Thanks OP! Finally decided to snag one. Used the free version on several work computers, and on friends and family's computers and does a great job helping the AV catch threats.

Back